How'd they get black?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jason W

Reaction score
I have a book on cattle from 1976,Beef cattle science, and I notice it makes no mention of there being black Limousin, Simmental, Gelbvieh, or Maine angou, but most of them I see now are black. so the big question I have is how did they get black. can somebody help a newbie out with this one?

Jason W":2t8zxjq9 said:
I have a book on cattle from 1976,Beef cattle science, and I notice it makes no mention of there being black Limousin, Simmental, Gelbvieh, or Maine angou, but most of them I see now are black. so the big question I have is how did they get black. can somebody help a newbie out with this one?

Usually by introducing the black gene from a black breed. And in some cases there is possibly a mutation.

This guy has no idea what he could get started here! :lol: :lol:

I guess the better question is "WHY" are some breeds turning black. :roll:

Jason W":1r4p1sx3 said:

The breed association secret police might come knocking on my door for this, BUT it just means (whether it shows in the pedigree or NOT) that they are PART Angus (presumably a SMALL part). I went to one show in NC a few years back and actually had to start reading some of the name tags to know whether I was looking at a limo, a Simmental, or a regular Angus. With some of them, they were just Black....others could pass themselves off as a distant relation of Black cap.

Where is Flaboy at? I need him to comment so I can read his thoughts and make a summarization! :D

Jason,

Don't know if your book tells you but Simmental was originally cream/yellow to light tan and white, Limousins were red, Gelbvieh were light tan to redish, and Main Anjou were red with white.

Angus messed all that up! :lol: :lol:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plunk! click click click

Brandonm2 wrote:
I went to one show in NC a few years back and actually had to start reading some of the name tags to know whether I was looking at a limo, a Simmental, or a regular Angus. With some of them, they were just Black....others could pass themselves off as a distant relation of Black cap.

You know that's exactly how it is when I go to a state fair and look at the different breeds that are black, I can't tell what I'm looking at unless I read the farm or ranch sign. It's not that I have anything against black cattle but why does everyone want them to all look alike? Even Beefmaster is now breeding them black. I used to raise registered Beefmasters and never saw a black one in those days unless it was crossed with something else. The black Beefmasters that I've seen pictures of look like a Brangus especially since they're breeding them polled as well.

1848":61s5sr55 said:
Where is Flaboy at? I need him to comment so I can read his thoughts and make a summarization! :D

Ok 1848 I will but I thought you would just type down what I was thinking. :lol:

Ok, ok, here's how it's done. You get those Black Charolais and Black Herefords in there and mix-m-up. :lol:

Our grandchildren will tell you "that's easy, God made them that way"...they haven't heard of genetics yet...but bet there was a Angus in the woodpile...

Most of the black comes from the Welsh Black being bred to these other breeds not the Angus as some would have you believe.

S.R.R.":888l1dem said:
Most of the black comes from the Welsh Black being bred to these other breeds not the Angus as some would have you believe.
You know, I know a bull of a known breed that looks ALOT like the bull frenchies friend posted . Hmmmmm .

S.R.R.":18f4rdcd said:

Whatever! :lol: Maybe in Canada. :lol:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Plunk!

farmer rich":foo6o1nl said:
S.R.R.":foo6o1nl said:

You forgot the ;-) :D :roll:

oh! ;-) :D :roll:

O.K. show me one study that shows that the black in black Limousin, Simmental, Gelbvieh, or Maine angou comes from Angus. And I will give. Almost forgot how about the black hereford as well. :p :p ;-)

Latest posts