how 2 tell black angus or cross

Help Support CattleToday:

sparky1

Reaction score
Ok what is the best way to tell black angus calves from crossbred calves that r all black too. bought black calves at sale barn but told not all black angus How can tell?

sparky1":37mlu3yw said:
Ok what is the best way to tell black angus calves from crossbred calves that r all black too. bought black calves at sale barn but told not all black angus How can tell?

DNA?

Horns are usually a good give away that one is not all Angus. A real long head with a roman nose, pronounced eye sockets outside the skull, prominent hooks and pins, no muscle in the lower hindquarters..............(uh) wait I better not go there. IF it is BLACK just assume she is Angus

sparky1":1geq8fqo said:

You can't.

Angus breeders please don't be offended. The crossbreds will be thicker, growthier cattle. Prob. have a little more bone. I can usually tell by the amount of muscle and bone.

walks like a duck, quacks like a duck........

If you bought these at the sale barn, why would you care if they are 100% angus? Unless you're breeding seedstock, it would be better to have a little mix in there. If the calves/cows are sound cattle, does it matter? My best cow is a beefmaster, I think. I say I think because I'm really not sure, but she throws the best calves of any cow I have. Her calves year in year out lead the way in price per pound and pound gained per day - regardless of the three different bulls that she's been bred to.

Perhaps this is a little OT but I've been told that black cows that have a little white on them can also be considered black angus as long as its not on the face. Any truth to this? Not that it matters much to my collection of mutts....

Angus/Brangus":k9o7e2sg said:
Brandonm2":k9o7e2sg said:
Horns are usually a good give away that one is not all Angus. A real long head with a roman nose, pronounced eye sockets outside the skull, prominent hooks and pins, no muscle in the lower hindquarters..............(uh) wait I better not go there. IF it is BLACK just assume she is Angus

:lol2: Now, that's bad, Brandon
:lol2: :lol2: :nod: :banana: :clap: GASP - WHEEZE - No, that's GOOD Brandon! Very sharp!

DNA is the ONE postive way to determine ancestory. But in your case that is not really worth the money for determination.

I wish everyone on these Boards a VERY Happy and Prosperous 2008! God Bless all of YOU!

DOC HARRIS

KNERSIE":1vvgtf8u said:
what happened to breed character?

:lol: Yeah, what happened to breed character? Well, Simmental, Limousin, Maines, Gelvieh, Salers (did I miss anyone) decided to give up "breed characther" and copy Angus. Too bad, too.

As for Angus, you can find a variety of bloodlines across the US. Some are tall, some are thick, some are short, some are thin, some marble more than others, some milk more than others, etc. The genetic diversity within the breed is a wonderful thing, IMO.

Yeah, what happened to breed character? Well, Simmental, Limousin, Maines, Gelvieh, Salers (did I miss anyone) decided to give up "breed characther" and copy Angus. Too bad, too.
You finally said something I agree with. :lol:

As for Angus, you can find a variety of bloodlines across the US. Some are tall, some are thick, some are short, some are thin, some marble more than others, some milk more than others, etc. The genetic diversity within the breed is a wonderful thing, IMO.

As long as you use them for crosses you can get any of the above. :lol:

Latest posts