House Update

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Vett.
Hubby did the screws at 16" as the book called for. Also our upstairs ceiling was over 8' tall. Basement is just under 8'. He plans to lay the sheets in the basement horizontally.

I luv herfrds":1vitj139 said:
Thanks Vett.
Hubby did the screws at 16" as the book called for. Also our upstairs ceiling was over 8' tall. Basement is just under 8'. He plans to lay the sheets in the basement horizontally.

Tell him to burn that book and get a different one. It's been just plain wrong on everything you've mentioned thus far.

1982vett":2z141esu said:
I luv herfrds":2z141esu said:
No glue Vett.

Arkansas got a question for you. I picked up some fiberglass tape at the store today. (Bought the Made In USA instead of the made in china)
Hubby was asking me if we needed to mud the screws that are on the seam before putting up the tape?

No screw prep...with the fiberglass tape you can "pre-apply" before you mud. It has sticky on it and will stick to the sheetrock. A 4" knife works great to smooth out the tape and get it to stick. Doesn't take much pressure.

Be careful not to bed in to much on the first pass.To much mud leads to a lot of sanding or wavy humps in the wall.

I'd really go back and add another screw on the joints...

:nod:
Although sometimes it doesn't stick very well and you can spread a thin layer to make it easier to work with the fabris tape.

On a 24 x 9 wall you would have 37.5 feet of seam laying the sheets horizontally, the way you did it you have 64 feet of seam.

I luv herfrds":2jsxen02 said:
No glue Vett.

Arkansas got a question for you. I picked up some fiberglass tape at the store today. (Bought the Made In USA instead of the made in china)
Hubby was asking me if we needed to mud the screws that are on the seam before putting up the tape?

Sorry college is crazy, umm as far as Fiberglass tape I wouldn't use it at all unless you want to tape a small hole. Fiberglass tape is great for patching small holes. its like having small braces in the mud. People use it on seams but as a finisher and hanger, paper tape is the way to go. The reason for not using Fiberglass tape is because when your finishing and your using a vacuum sander if you get the smallest piece of thread showing through and someone see's it and tugs on it or after wear, it will break the mud and crack it. As to the question No, don't worry about coating screws under tape at all. but if your hitting the tops of the screws makes sure you take the butt of your 5 (5" Finishing knife) and hit the screws in with the bottom of the handle so you smooth the big screw waves out. Coat at least 3 times, no less then 2 ever.. When your using regular tape just lay you a thick line of mud on the seam and then lay the tape on top and squeegee it so to speak. Don't leave a lot of mud under the tape then your gonna lay a thick coat over that once it is squeegee'd. Let it dry over night and then rake it and buff it like we say..lol

1982vett":nqv5vowt said:
Unless you glued it you better stitch up those joints better too....screw every 12 inches in the field and 8 inches on the seam.

He hit this one right on the head. 12"s is perfect in the field and 8 on the seam.. Don't be afraid to even go 6" on the seam if you want, in the end the seams will be covered and want have to hit the screws anyways. I would never glue at all, I have seen some crews knock out an entire house in 1 day gluing 1500 sq f houses. But though's are cheaply built houses that within 2 years your going to see bulges in your wall etc.. These houses are the 60k houses you see go up over 1 months time from start to finish. If your doing your own place, do it right get yourself screws not nails and don't short cut anything. Or you will be just fixing it within the first 5 years if so. Do it right the first time and you want be going back till an earthquake hits..lol

I luv herfrds":2oi4nago said:
CF I had bought him a different book, but he took it back Said he didn't need it.

If your husband hasn't got one yet I would recommend a Banjo tape gun. You can get a good one for under a 100 bucks get an average one for about half that. If you have the money to splurge heck get a Bazooka tape gun..lol We had a couple of these, a good set of box's for finishing cuts the time in half also. w w w.bontool.com/product1.asp?P=CORNERROLLER <----These are gr8 for finishing corners with, slop some mud on them and roll them up the corners then throw some tape on! Sounds like Vet knows his stuff too :)

About 40 years ago when I was younger and thought that I could do any thing, my wife and I built a house, did a lot of the work ourselves. I hired a sheet rock hanger to do the house best momney ever spent. We decide to tape and bed it our selves, started in a large closet and thought that would be place to try until we got good at it. Worked one day at it, wife and I nearly divorced other that closet. I called a man that did tape and bedding. I said how about coming out here giving me a bid on the house. He said I do not need to see it how many square feet in the house, I told him 1500 he said I will tape and bed texture and blow the ceiling for $800 dollars and furnish all of the material. He started and had the tools and finished the job in three days. I never learned to tape and bed and I am not going to start.

Talked to a dry waller I know. He said there was nothing wrong with hanging it vertically. He did say to screw it every 8".

I luv herfrds":21retyc9 said:
Talked to a dry waller I know. He said there was nothing wrong with hanging it vertically. He did say to screw it every 8".

Well most drywall workers these days don't do both. A lot of them are either Hangers or Finishers very rarely will you see one that does them both. Sometimes you will see a big crew that does them both. You may get advice that it's ok to hang it vertically but it may be from someone who hangs drywall and doesn't finish it. Or because lack of doing drywall long enough :( anyone can hang drywall but someone who has the experience knows how to hang it right. A finisher would always tell you to hang horizontal, because it cuts finishing time by a 1/4 of the time. This is because all the seems are away from the ceilings and are easier to coat and less time. If you hang vertically then your leaving no room for finishing unless like you said that your husband is going to be putting up crown as you stated. Then it doesn't matter so much. But anytime your planing on putting up knock-down and you hung vertically its gonna cast shadows or show humps towards the top because there is no room for finishing it right. And if you find a person that is willing to finish behind someone that hung vertically then its gonna cost you a lot more because he is having to fix someone else's screw up so to speak :( Dry walling your own place is very rewarding, I would tell anyone if they have never done it to still try it there selves. Its an art that is fading from the homeowners hands because its getting to where you can do so much as a Drywall'er. I mean you can take walls and make them look like there glass Marble and no one can tell the difference. They would think you have marble walls, this is where big bucks come in. When you do a house like this it is usually a Million dollar house. And the starting rate for every 1,500 sq f is about $10,000 and most million dollar houses are going to be double that at the least amount of space...

Either Way good luck its going good :)

Talked to another dry waller I know. He said there is no problem with hanging it vertically. He also said to screw the butts every 8".
These guys have been hanging and finishing dry wall for years. Both have been out to see our house so they know what is going on.

I luv herfrds":20n8acky said:
Talked to another dry waller I know. He said there is no problem with hanging it vertically. He also said to screw the butts every 8".
These guys have been hanging and finishing dry wall for years. Both have been out to see our house so they know what is going on.
They might think that there is nothing wrong with it, but like I stated earlier on a 24 x 9 wall you will have 69 feet of seam doing it your way, and 37.5 feet hanging horizontally. In addition to that you will have 45 feet of butt seams doing it your way, compared to 13.5 hanging horizontally. No finish man or woman would want to do almost twice as much work. No drywall hanger would want 3 times as many butt seams. Most of the people commenting are just trying to help you understand your mistake.

whatisgmo I know that but hubby read this and now I AM IN THE MIDDLE!
Sorry I don't like being there catching it from both sides.
I know you guys mean well and I do bring up your suggestions but hubby took what has been said about the direction he hung the sheets as massive critism for his hard work.

By the way I picked up 4 rolls of the fiberglass tape and worked with it in one little spot. Hubby worked with the mud and it worked out great. So it looks likew we are going to be doing that ourselves too.
One of my co-workers also worked hanging drywall with his Dad for a good number of years and he said nothing wrong with using it.
Going to do as suggested and put more screws in the seam every 8".

It will be fine, just more work. If your not hiring a finisher, I wouldn't worry about it any more. If your going to tackle a big project, there will be bumps and mistakes. If you ever hang sheet rock again, you'll know. No big deal.

Thanks Bigfoot. :D

We are talking about hiring a guy south of us to just texture the ceiling and walls. Been hearing some great praise about his work.
I know a couple ladies that paint murals. Talked to them. Was told that they are at least 6 months out for painting.
Thinking of having them paint a set of Herefords on that big wall above the stairs. Plan to leave that flat.

Well that was a nice valentines DAy gift.
Hubby got me the undermount sink to go with the granite I got for the kids bathroom.
I like gifts that are useful for the house!

Master bedroom, kitchen, pantry, and living room is all taped. Part of the office is taped too. Ran out of tape on that roll. Got 3 more rolls.
Got the kitchen fir out mudded, along with the pantry and the part of the office that I got taped last night and ran out of mud. :( Going to get more on Wednesday.

Arkansas":osj7yrkr said:
I luv herfrds":osj7yrkr said:

Well most drywall workers these days don't do both. A lot of them are either Hangers or Finishers very rarely will you see one that does them both. Sometimes you will see a big crew that does them both. You may get advice that it's ok to hang it vertically but it may be from someone who hangs drywall and doesn't finish it. Or because lack of doing drywall long enough :( anyone can hang drywall but someone who has the experience knows how to hang it right. A finisher would always tell you to hang horizontal, because it cuts finishing time by a 1/4 of the time. This is because all the seems are away from the ceilings and are easier to coat and less time. If you hang vertically then your leaving no room for finishing unless like you said that your husband is going to be putting up crown as you stated. Then it doesn't matter so much. But anytime your planing on putting up knock-down and you hung vertically its gonna cast shadows or show humps towards the top because there is no room for finishing it right. And if you find a person that is willing to finish behind someone that hung vertically then its gonna cost you a lot more because he is having to fix someone else's screw up so to speak :( Dry walling your own place is very rewarding, I would tell anyone if they have never done it to still try it there selves. Its an art that is fading from the homeowners hands because its getting to where you can do so much as a Drywall'er. I mean you can take walls and make them look like there glass Marble and no one can tell the difference. They would think you have marble walls, this is where big bucks come in. When you do a house like this it is usually a Million dollar house. And the starting rate for every 1,500 sq f is about $10,000 and most million dollar houses are going to be double that at the least amount of space...

Either Way good luck its going good :)
A good journeyman finisher will make most shoddy drywall hanging acceptable. He will be cussing the DW Hanger as he renails/screws and cleans up his shoddy work. The problem is that the unprofessional DW Hanger is blind to his sloppy workmanship and thinks he has done a very good job. Believe me, I've seen it all and had to fix plenty of it.

I luv herfrds":3a79fmfw said:
Thanks AllForage.
Got a 2x4? You can hit my hubby up along side the head when I tell him that. Tried telling him that sooner, went in one ear and out the other.
Looks like your hubby did a very good job on the Gyp board [not being a professional] but honestly I have seen much worse work from DW Hangers that claimed to be professionals. In the trades we call them "Shack Rat's". Truth is you never know the quality of a man's work until you hire and watch his workmanship.

Latest posts