Home Schooling

Help Support CattleToday:

Heck, I think those bullies in that little private school are the ones in for a rude awakening. Some day they'll have to move off of their little pond and out onto the lake. Sad

Bigfoot":1frbys0l said:
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was home schooled.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was in public school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was in private school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that dropped out of school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that went to college.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that didn't go to college.

In the end, we are all a product of our life experiences.
Yup, can't be said much better. Every one of those can also be turned in to un successful. And I will never Be convinced a persons schooling alone can determine success, there's many people who don't agree with that though.

denvermartinfarms":vqrbxmje said:
Bigfoot":vqrbxmje said:

Yup, can't be said much better. Every one of those can also be turned in to un successful. And I will never Be convinced a persons schooling alone can determine success, there's many people who don't agree with that though.

We all know "some one" in each of these categories....I would want to go with the odds and allow my children to go where the odds of them being successful were the highest.

TexasBred":1q4grqc2 said:
denvermartinfarms":1q4grqc2 said:
Bigfoot":1q4grqc2 said:

We all know "some one" in each of these categories....I would want to go with the odds and allow my children to go where the odds of them being successful were the highest.
But is that the same for everyone?

Backhoe have you ever tried to watch a group of kids go skiing? Been there done that. Figured if I caught a glimpse of them on the slopes or the lift they were fine.
The paint ball was fun. Adults pretty much left it up to the senior kids to do. Kids had a blast. No way of keeping track of them in that brush. We could only hear them when they were charging each other. The kids mainly play for fun. Some have played school teams but that is up to them.

Hook each parent has a different way of home schooling. So I picked the internet for her core courses. That was my choice. Yesterday she learned how to cook chicken fried steak and fry chicken.
As for the bullies both my kids learned to fight back and throw punches. Life goes on as I tell them and you never know but someday that bully will need you before you need them. Karma is a b*tch and has a way of coming around.

Oh by the way she has already covered over half a years 8th grade math and is still pushing 80%. Should be finished with it by next month. Has a running 90% in her science and 80% in english.

Had to kick her up to 8th Grade Honors Pre Algebra. She is doing great. Holding grades at A's and B's. She did drop to a C in her math but that was me missing an instruction. She was pretty mad at me, but is back to a B.

Going to do a Nature Science today. Teaching her how to plan and plant a small garden. She was never really into it before but is this year. Showing lots of interest in grasses and other plants.

There is a ton of things she can learn about now that she would have only gotten a small lesson about in public school. And i bet she will open up to learning about new things due to lack of peer pressure to not learn that she would get in public School.

Since she is going to finish the 8th grade math this next month I scheduled her to continue the algebra til May 29th when school lets out and she will be half way through it. Asked her if she would want to continue for another month to finish it out. She said yes.

Have been offered help by some of her former teachers. They know how smart she is and they were very upset to hear I pulled her, but they all know the teacher she was having trouble with so they understood.

She had fun today planting herbs and tomato seeds. They are sitting in the kitchen window and she can hardly wait til they sprout.

I luv herfrds":30n7kyry said:
She had fun today planting herbs and tomato seeds. They are sitting in the kitchen window and she can hardly wait til they sprout.

Love it. That triggers memories.

Careful not to burn her out on any one thing.

We have a really neat deal here where quite a few families are home schooling their kids. They have certain day... Wednesday I think... where they all get together for group lessons at one house. They take field trips and do all kinds of projects.

I am also fed up with the public school system.

We had one bad math teacher and my son has totally shut down to math. You would think the lady beat him. It has taken multiple years and tutors or get him back on track. Its not a learning issue... its what ever went on she turned math in to a bad word. The lady is a know problem... all her students grades reflected and issue... but yet she is still there.

Backhoe she got a great education on preg testing cows this morning! She kept saying these cows of her's were open. So we grabbed the blue hand gloves and a bag of OB gloves and some lube. Got the cows cut off and I went in first to see then let her go in. On the first couple she couldn't feel anything; they were bred. But on her heifer that was shorter and farther along she felt the calf! Boy did her face light up! Told her it just takes some time and she will get the hang of it! :D :D :D :D

I know Brute. I had teachers years ago just pass me along without even trying to teach me. Got transferred to another school and the math teacher there realized I knew nothing. She took a special interest in me and helped my folks find me a good tutor. I still have trouble with math but now I at least know it.

A fellow home school mother told me to check out the home school suppliers she uses. Got daughter on there and had a placement test done. She scored an 8th grade on reading. a 7.8 on her math and a 7.7 on her science. That was her placement at the 7th grade level. So for their level that is where she is. Got a list of what is recommended for her.
She has the option of taking French, German or Spanish as a foreign language. She wants to do German.

Everything is going great.

ILH,

I've noticed you post some about your "public" job, as we Ky people call it. Who facilitates the learning while you are at work? Or, do you work nights?

Dogs and Cows":1rqz3ohx said:
My kids are both graduated high school now. I have to say, public school was very good to us and our kids. Of course there were teachers throughout the years that we did not agree with and my kids had issues with. We used it as a teaching experience...through life you will not always agree with everyone. You have to find a way to make things work. You have to be able to adapt and realize that someone else is in charge. I always told my children, you don't have to like your teachers, but you must respect them. My daughter is in a public university now and going to graduate and be a teacher. My son, has no interest in school...so he is working jobs trying to "figure" out his life.

I feel there are infinite ways to be successful in life...each has to work on it and find their path.

Tim

My issue with the public school system is not because of a certain teacher although I think many of them are a product of the environment they work in. I have a problem with the system as a whole. From operations to accountability to the information they push.

I am very pro-teacher.... in fact pro-employee in general. I believe your employees are a direct result of what you pay and how you treat them. If you have a bunch of sorry hands... its no ones fault but your own. If your not meeting certain benchmarks is your own fault.

Bigfoot I get her started in the morning before I head for work and hubby watches her through the day. I go online during my lunch hour and check her progress and check again when I get home. She has been doing a lot on her own but I make sure it is done. I set up her schedule and if she does not pass a test or quiz I go on and reschedule it and we both go over it.
The new one I am going to get for her will have the text books, the tests, answer keys (for me) and the schedule planner I get to set up for her learning. Her only online with this one will be her German language. I do plan to keep her on this online for tutoring as needed.

I always love the naysayers who try to say that homeschoolers can't learn social skills. Homeschooled kids learn social skills from adults, public school kids learn social skills from other kids. The ones that are successful in life have to unlearn the social skills they learned from other little kids and re-learn the ones that they need to survive in a grown up world. The public school system as we know it hasn't been around for very long. Kids learned from adults for much of history. Kids that behave like grown-ups are much better than grown-ups that behave like children. Some of the behavior that is on the news looks a lot to me like something from a playground. My team didn't win, let's throw a tantrum and burn half the city.
Homeschool on.

Math is a sore subject at our house. Mrs. Lewis is not doing her job teaching advanced algebra. My daughter has a 89 in her class, and has had the same grade for the last 3 grading periods. My daughter still has a 96+ yearly average overall, but the 89 is hurting her pride bad.

Every child isn't the same for sure but I don't think education can solely be judged by a test score. Just look at many of the college football players and how they are given materials to study for tests. They may pass the test but many leave college with a degree and no education.

I like the idea of my children being exposed to different teachers and the wealth of experience and knowledge many of these have that they teach my children outside the book. Sure there are some incompetent teachers but we have been active enough in their education to keep them from these idiots for the most part. Our goal has been to educate our children with values and expose them to as much information as possible to make them thirst for more knowledge and hopefully in the end they can take our values and combine this with their book learning so they can think for themselves and make good rational decisions. In the end, you know your child best so its up to you to choose and hopefully you choose the right path because your child's future depends on it.

One of these days I will post my rant on my dream private school. :lol2: I started working on it when I was in school as kind of a joke.

Some of the courses included:
one semester in the military branch
one semester as a waiter/ waitress
one semester on a farm or ranch
personal finance

ect... :nod:

Latest posts