Home security systems

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Anybody have one and what would you recommend. I would like to have one with at least four cameras that will last and make good pics.

I have a night owl with 4k cameras and am pretty pleased with it. I have everything on my phone so i get real time alerts and i can pull up live feed for any camera with my phone or cycle through all recordings for each camera.

My wife is pretty much always at home and has her own rifle, pistol, and shotgun that she can use very well. I have two dogs that both act like they'll eat a strange car up, one of which will actually attack people in defense.

Will probably invest in a real security system at some point, but not much happens anywhere that I've ever chosen to live. I've always checked that stuff out before we've moved since I made a mistake once. We had to live on the outskirts of a big town once and I braced a drug dealer and that opened up a whole can of worms. Stole a lot of my guns and the police said they couldn't use the blood for DNA evidence. Are ya kidding? Meh. Got a call some good while later, said they had a few of my guns from that issue but needed to keep them a while as evidence for court to make sure they could stick the conviction. I said keep 'em as long as you need and put that SOB under the jailhouse.

My wife is pretty much always at home and has her own rifle, pistol, and shotgun that she can use very well. I have two dogs that both act like they'll eat a strange car up, one of which will actually attack people in defense.

Will probably invest in a real security system at some point, but not much happens anywhere that I've ever chosen to live. I've always checked that stuff out before we've moved since I made a mistake once. We had to live on the outskirts of a big town once and I braced a drug dealer and that opened up a whole can of worms. Stole a lot of my guns and the police said they couldn't use the blood for DNA evidence. Are ya kidding? Meh. Got a call some good while later, said they had a few of my guns from that issue but needed to keep them a while as evidence for court to make sure they could stick the conviction. I said keep 'em as long as you need and put that SOB under the jailhouse.
I can believe that. Dad had a car stolen, the guy wrecked it, and then stole another pickup from a guy that stopped to help. They later had the guy in jail for something else, but they could not take a DNA from him until he had stolen three cars. This is when dad lived in Colorado, but I bet most other states are pretty much the same.

I can believe that. Dad had a car stolen, the guy wrecked it, and then stole another pickup from a guy that stopped to help. They later had the guy in jail for something else, but they could not take a DNA from him until he had stolen three cars. This is when dad lived in Colorado, but I bet most other states are pretty much the same.
I'll be real with you, I should have just killed him. Would have been easier.

If someone does something bad enough that you're legally justified in killing them, you're often best off just killing them.

We've got blink. You can put up to 10 cameras I think on 1 system. It's free if you opt out of some features. I think 120.00 a year to get the subscription with motion alerts and video storage.
I have one camera at my shop about 80 yards from the house. It wont work through metal walls . Although with the proper add ons it probably would.
The fact that me and wife were able to set it up tells how simple it was.
Only had it a couple of months but so far it's been good.

I have a dog.
A couple of years ago I came home from work and there was a man standing by my pickup, it had been raining most of the day and the guy was drenched but just standing there. So I pull into my garage, park my car and then walk over and see my dog laying a few feet away from the guy. I asked him what he was doing, to which he said he was just going to barrow my pickup, but that was as far as he got and the dog wouldn't let him move, he said he had been standing in the rain for hours and could I call the dog off so he could leave. I had no idea who this person was, and I asked him why he thought he could take my pickup without permission, he said he had heard Montana was a friendly state and I wouldn't mind. I laughed and told him that he could explain that to the sheriff. I left him standing there for another half hour till the sheriff got here.

So I pull into my garage, park my car and then walk over and see my dog laying a few feet away from the guy. I asked him what he was doing, to which he said he was just going to barrow my pickup, but that was as far as he got and the dog wouldn't let him move, he said he had been standing in the rain for hours and could I call the dog off so he could leave.
An honest thief............. or one too dumb to even try to make up a lie.

We have blink. Have had it for about a month now. Relatives have had one for a couple of years and they like it. Very simple to set up and use. We got it on Amazon.

My dog sounds really scary but my only hope with her is that someone just doesn't want to take a chance. Or, that she keeps them occupied by making them throw her ball (she's pretty insistent).

The cat on the other hand won't make a peep because hes been waiting for this opportunity his whole life.

4A50AE37-6E28-4347-B961-17F5B5D5FE8C.jpeg

I've used Smith Thompson but I stopped using it a couple of years ago but I'd go back to them. I don't like any of the commercial systems with cameras connected to a cloud. You never know who is watching and hearing.

Current system for me in the city consists of double doors at every entry point, my house alarm that makes noise if there is breech but is not connected to a company, a dog, and a revolver.

Latest posts