game or security cameras that link to cell towers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience, advice, recommendations? I have an electric gate right off the interstate that got vandalized (they broke off the pole that had a small solar panel and stole it, but didn't swipe the box or the batteries - ???) . I was going to just put a padlock on it and bring the electronics closer to the house but got to thinking about putting up a camera. Have tried a regular game camera up there but if it got spotted and ripped off I wouldn't have a record. So, I was looking around and saw they have these and it looked kind of promising. Looking for some real life experience.

Covert Wireless . . . . . . .greatest thing since sliced bread, check them out. Cameras are about 400 bucks, service is 29.95 quarterly.

I would run wire and put the solar panel and batteries on the property more, maybe disguise it a little. A motion light might help just to get their attention.

The camera isn't going to do much to catch a passer by and usually the quality is not good enough to do any thing in court. At best the cops can go to their house and harass them a little.

There are cameras that will text you every time you get motion at your gate but that can be a real headache also.

Brute 23 said:
I would run wire and put the solar panel and batteries on the property more, maybe disguise it a little. A motion light might help just to get their attention.

The camera isn't going to do much to catch a passer by and usually the quality is not good enough to do any thing in court. At best the cops can go to their house and harass them a little.

There are cameras that will text you every time you get motion at your gate but that can be a real headache also.

you may have something there...thanks. dummy camera and lights might be enough deterrent. I love the idea of remote viewing technology but it isn't QUITE perfect. :lol:

Brute 23 said:

Having a lot of break-in's around here and one guy on our "neighborhood watch" has posted numerous pics of individuals trespassing on his property that are also linked to other thefts but with a pretty poor image, even with identifying clothes/features, etc, there's not the Sheriff can do.

TCRanch said:
Brute 23 said:

Having a lot of break-in's around here and one guy on our "neighborhood watch" has posted numerous pics of individuals trespassing on his property that are also linked to other thefts but with a pretty poor image, even with identifying clothes/features, etc, there's not the Sheriff can do.

Bullshot, you just gotta be friends with the deputies, buy 'em breakfast when you see 'em. :lol:

TCRanch said:
Brute 23 said:

I've bee researching some home security stuff and that was the first thing that came up. With the best video quality if the person does not admit to the crime or they don't find any stolen items on them you are SOL. It is nice to get LEOs on their track and put pressure on them buts that best case scenario if you have a department that actually gives two flips.

Depending on how far away from the house the gate is, you might be able to do it over wifi, which wouldn't have a monthly subscription fee.. a directional antenna on it can reach out a long ways... I got a directional antenna on Ebay for $20 and it reaches across the river (a mile or so)

Nesikep said:
Depending on how far away from the house the gate is, you might be able to do it over wifi, which wouldn't have a monthly subscription fee.. a directional antenna on it can reach out a long ways... I got a directional antenna on Ebay for $20 and it reaches across the river (a mile or so)

the wifi from my house barely goes across the driveway :frowns: this gate is almost 2 miles away and there are hills and big rocks

Hippie Rancher said:
Nesikep said:

the wifi from my house barely goes across the driveway :frowns: this gate is almost 2 miles away and there are hills and big rocks
Maybe get an upgraded router? It would be an increased 1 time cost but save you a lot on subscription fees over time.. Heck you might even be well off to put a repeater at a halfway point.. Wilson Electronics has a lot of specialty stuff like that

the problem is my wifi source, I think. I get signal from a mountain tower behind my house...it is sort of provided by the electric co-op, some company out of Florida is the actual provider but it is basically wifi to me from 1/4 to half mile away. I receive it in a little dish type antenna and then it comes into my router. we can barely run 3 devices off it at one time and lose signal every time the wind blows or somebody uses the microwave. LOL

maybe I should just get another account with them for up there at the gate. (not really, it runs $80/month for sorry signal we have now)

I'm not really complaining, though! it beats the heck out of the 24K - yes K dial-up we had until just a few years ago. couldn't watch a video AT ALL. the phone lines were 70 years old!

Anybody have any experience, advice, recommendations? I have an electric gate right off the interstate that got vandalized (they broke off the pole that had a small solar panel and stole it, but didn't swipe the box or the batteries - ???) . I was going to just put a padlock on it and bring the electronics closer to the house but got to thinking about putting up a camera. Have tried a regular game camera up there but if it got spotted and ripped off I wouldn't have a record. So, I was looking around and saw they have these and it looked kind of promising. Looking for some real life experience.
My place is covered by SPYPOINT, had great luck with them.
An example of one.

Attachments

• B7F52DF3-1E52-4B6D-94C4-947C212DDF72.jpeg
    B7F52DF3-1E52-4B6D-94C4-947C212DDF72.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts