Home security systems

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't even seen my house keys since shortly after I built my house.
I think I have a key that works on one of the house doors. Not sure where the key is or which door it works on. There is 2 cars, 3 assorted pickups, 2 tractors, and 2 quads all of which have the keys in them. I have 2 dogs who are really friendly but real loud whenever a vehicle pulls down the driveway. It is pretty rare that at least one of us isn't home.

I haven't even seen my house keys since shortly after I built my house.
Same here. I keep truck keys in the ignition and the house is unlocked. There's other reasons to have cameras than security. I put my in primary so I could check on bug when she's home alone.

I was like Dave, Silver and Fence for years and not even my wife ever locked the doors when we lived out in the boonies. Once we moved here tho, she is always locking doors and the odd thing is, we live in a very secure neighborhood, with everyone I've met so far retired military. When wife and I went to East Texas for Thanksgiving I told Chuck across the street if he saw anything going on here to just call the police, he just said "I'll shoot first ask questions later". It's that kind of neighborhood.

During the day we don't usually lock the doors, unless we are going to be out of town all day. We do lock the door at night; for some reason I have a thing about not having someone walk in while I'm in bed.

Where we live if it were to ever happen that someone wanted to rob us a locked door would just lead to more damage (broken down doors or windows). Nobody would be close enough to hear anything.
And I get cranky enough when I get out of my truck, walk to the other side and find the door locked (anyone know how to fix that on a Ford? Chev was easy) I can just imagine the potential frustrations of locked doors on my buildings.

It depends on where you live. We built the house 23 years ago and lost the keys 22+ years ago.
I have a single key for my truck and it stays in the ignition, unless I'm traveling well away from my circle of acquaintances. Same with all other things on the place that require keys.
I only carry two keys in my wallet. Both are for my business.
I feel okay without locks.

Here, we're in a drug infested cesspool. It's been a bad area for stealing as long as I can remember. When my parents built their house over 40 years ago, my dad said that up the road somewhere they must be a house just like it cause they darn near stole all the building material. Then over the years while they worked it was common to come home and find a broken window and stuff missing. They got a burglar alarm years ago di t remember what brand but obsolete now.
After they retired, and were home more then as I got grown and stayed and worked here on the farm it stopped for several years.
In later years we got ADT, not real satisfied with it.
A while back there was an uptick of strange events and I've missed a couple things. Don't know for sure but, feel like it was related to some folks that had done some work here, and took advantage of the dogs being up.
Between the drug heads we know, and and endless supply we don't know, along with all the transient people that come through, you have to keep a close watch on things. Sad but we lock doors and take all keys out of trucks and tractors
We have pretty good burglar alarms in 3 unsocialized dogs, two of which don't take kindly at all to anybody else and the 3rd one only tolerates a few people once she's been reintroduced,
and we are supporters of the 2nd Amendment

Here, we're in a drug infested cesspool. It's been a bad area for stealing as long as I can remember. When my parents built their house over 40 years ago, my dad said that up the road somewhere they must be a house just like it cause they darn near stole all the building material. Then over the years while they worked it was common to come home and find a broken window and stuff missing. They got a burglar alarm years ago di t remember what brand but obsolete now.
After they retired, and were home more then as I got grown and stayed and worked here on the farm it stopped for several years.
In later years we got ADT, not real satisfied with it.
A while back there was an uptick of strange events and I've missed a couple things. Don't know for sure but, feel like it was related to some folks that had done some work here, and took advantage of the dogs being up.
Between the drug heads we know, and and endless supply we don't know, along with all the transient people that come through, you have to keep a close watch on things. Sad but we lock doors and take all keys out of trucks and tractors
We have pretty good burglar alarms in 3 unsocialized dogs, two of which don't take kindly at all to anybody else and the 3rd one only tolerates a few people once she's been reintroduced,
and we are supporters of the 2nd Amendment

sounds like you need to be more users of the 2nd Amendment. Call it a neighborhood beautification project and plant flowers on top the holes. Make people dissapear til stuff quits disappearing.

I have a good dog and it barks at anything that comes around, but I'm pretty sure he's just askin if they have something to eat in their pocket. He's afraid of thunder and military gunfire and hunkers down under a chair every time the guns start up.
I get it. My dog wouldn't hurt a cat. He's had a soft mouth since a newborn pup, never clamped down on anything except a biscuit with bacon and gravy on it.

I'm far enough away from public roads, if a malevolent person ever made it to my house, I'd be forever dealing with a court system, locks on the doors or not.

I hope it never happens, and I do think I have adequate deterrents with many signs and two gates.

I have a good dog and it barks at anything that comes around, but I'm pretty sure he's just askin if they have something to eat in their pocket. He's afraid of thunder and military gunfire and hunkers down under a chair every time the guns start up.
Here's a rare photo of my dog getting ready to go full on crazy, because someone made too much noise loading the wood stove.
He really just wants a belly rub.D1DB07D1-EFDE-48A1-B154-DBF1443981D3.jpeg

I don't get it. Why people don't look doors regardless of where they live? It's just a good practice.

Where we live if it were to ever happen that someone wanted to rob us a locked door would just lead to more damage (broken down doors or windows). Nobody would be close enough to hear anything.
And I get cranky enough when I get out of my truck, walk to the other side and find the door locked (anyone know how to fix that on a Ford? Chev was easy) I can just imagine the potential frustrations of locked doors on my buildings.
Same here, Silver. I don't disagree that locking the doors is a good idea. But as far our as we live, it would equate to more damage. Like the Sheriff is gonna make it here in less than 30 minutes TOPS? That's why we have insurance.

Latest posts