Daughter coming home from college....

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
So this Friday my daughter (junior) is co.ing home from college with new boyfriend in tow... He seems to be a nice kid, but never been around horses, cattle etc. He wants to ride horses etc he says. Well, just so happens we are working 2 large groups of cows/calves on Saturday. He wants to rope and drag/work calves on foot. This is gonna be good lol. I always love to watch a young guy walk up on a 2-300# calf thinking "I've got this Lil guy", and then let the videos roll!!! Either way should be fun. Good food great weather and daughters home :cboy:

About a month a go my sister brought home her new boyfriend from college.

He's British.

Nuff said.

:lol:

Just kidding. He was actually a great guy, and wanted to learn, and ask questions. He also was willing to shoot a 12 ga. and my .357 snub nose.
Hope you get as lucky, and I hope he survives.
Of course you will have to make it hard on him some. That's the defacto job of the Father, or Brother. ;-)

I use to tell boy that my daughters brought home that they needed to see how fast I can castrate a calf if they are going to date my daughter........ Some didn't think that it was funny.

Make sure you get video of him opening and closing a wire gate.
I've missed a lot of chances to get great comedy material watching people fight with them

You can't pick their mates, but some of their picks makes you question your parenting. I always tell my son-in-law he is my favorite. My 13 year old grandson said but Paw Paw he is your only, oh I get it. Just remember SIL are much easier to keep in line than DIL.

Caustic Burno said:
You can't pick their mates, but some of their picks makes you question your parenting. I always tell my son-in-law he is my favorite. My 13 year old grandson said but Paw Paw he is your only, oh I get it. Just remember SIL are much easier to keep in line than DIL.

That's great! Good stuff

Too bad we don't have tobacco anymore. That was how my FIL in law broke me in. Asked if I wanted to help them cut and house tobacco. I thought hey ill make some cash this wont be bad. 2 months later after cutting and housing tobacco from every plowable piece of ground my FIL and both of my wife's uncles had I was beat.

But my father in law and I always got along good after he found out that I was willing to work.

I suppose I'm different, but I never tried to push the farming thing on any of my daughter's boyfriends; I've seen that actually cause resentment in some families after their kids got married. If they are farmers themselves or interested in the process, that's one thing, but I have no hopes or dreams that my kid's spouses will be into cattle and outdoors. My daughter is in college, and her boyfriend is majoring in accounting; neither have any dreams of being farmers, and that is fine with me.

I knew an older couple once who had 7 kids. Six were into farming, but one daughter went to college and married a college man as well. They had office jobs and lived in town. Farming didn't interest either of them. The parents, however, believed they should spend a lot of time working on their farm in their spare time, but they didn't care for it. It actually caused some friction in their family. I can think of other cases too where a farming family thinks that anyone who marries into the family is automatically a farm-hand.

I've also noticed that if someone isn't particularly interested in cattle and such, a couple of doses usually will do them. After that, it starts to become annoying to think that every time you visit the in-laws, you end up on a tractor and fooling with cows. that's fine if they like it, but if not, it becomes a sore spot, and I completely understand.

Personally, I don't see any difference in trying to push farm-life on someone than trying to push any occupation on someone. I am also a teacher, but I don't require her dates help me grade papers, attend education conferences with me, and keep up with school issues so we can "talk education." I think this same attitude applies to most jobs.

UPDATE**** He did well today. Got in there and wrestled calves, rode his first horse and is currently sitting on the couch going over the day. He's a keeper. Not just because he had fun today or wants to quit engineering to run cows, but because he was open minded, listened and did well. And most of all had fun. We had a great day

sim.-ang.king said:
About a month a go my sister brought home her new boyfriend from college.

He's British.

Nuff said.
Reminds me of a few lines from Robert Earl King's Merry Christmas from the Family

"Little sister brought her new boyfriend..
He was a Mexicen
We didn't know what to think of him...
(so we sang Feliz Navidad...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg

herofan said:
I suppose I'm different, but I never tried to push the farming thing on any of my daughter's boyfriends; I've seen that actually cause resentment in some families after their kids got married. If they are farmers themselves or interested in the process, that's one thing, but I have no hopes or dreams that my kid's spouses will be into cattle and outdoors. My daughter is in college, and her boyfriend is majoring in accounting; neither have any dreams of being farmers, and that is fine with me.

I knew an older couple once who had 7 kids. Six were into farming, but one daughter went to college and married a college man as well. They had office jobs and lived in town. Farming didn't interest either of them. The parents, however, believed they should spend a lot of time working on their farm in their spare time, but they didn't care for it. It actually caused some friction in their family. I can think of other cases too where a farming family thinks that anyone who marries into the family is automatically a farm-hand.

I've also noticed that if someone isn't particularly interested in cattle and such, a couple of doses usually will do them. After that, it starts to become annoying to think that every time you visit the in-laws, you end up on a tractor and fooling with cows. that's fine if they like it, but if not, it becomes a sore spot, and I completely understand.

Personally, I don't see any difference in trying to push farm-life on someone than trying to push any occupation on someone. I am also a teacher, but I don't require her dates help me grade papers, attend education conferences with me, and keep up with school issues so we can "talk education." I think this same attitude applies to most jobs.
I don't think any of these stories have ANYTHING to do with trying to make them farmers!

ez14. said:
I don't think any of these stories have ANYTHING to do with trying to make them farmers!

I'm sure you're right; it just got my
mind going in that direction because it reminded me of some situations; that's all. It's probably not about making them farmers, but it's about an expectation of participation in farming activities when they visit.

Rocks in the spring, small squares in the summer, meat cutting in the fall. Many visitors can manage one day, but you usually get the better measure on the second day. I love it when a plan comes together! :cowboy:

Yep, it's about finding out how much grit the young lad has.
One of my daughter's boyfriends needed a job back in the late 90s.. I gave him one, working for me on an oilfield type job in Elk City Oklahoma...in February. He lasted a week, and left there for parts unknown, never to be seen again by any of us. Daughter was mad for a bit but got over it.
Weren't my fault. The boy couldn't hang..so couldn't stay.

herofan said:
ez14. said:
but it's about an expectation of participation in farming activities when they visit.
You could be right there. Or it could just be a test of character! I'm sure both happen quite frequently

ez14. said:
herofan said:
ez14. said:
but it's about an expectation of participation in farming activities when they visit.
You could be right there. Or it could just be a test of character! I'm sure both happen quite frequently

I suppose so. I guess parents test for character in different ways.

Latest posts