Home Schooling

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sort of torn on the extra curricular activities. I can see both sides. The home school parents pay just as much in taxes for the public school to use as the public school parents. If the extra curricular activities are being funded by those tax dollars there should be equal access. I didn't worry about it since my kids played baseball in little league / babe ruth league or summer softball.

The Carolina home schoolers win a lot of archery tournaments. We'll see them at the nationals in Kentucky for sure.

TexasBred":1ap9dtus said:
William with all due respect sir, did I even mention "college" or anyone having a lack of education??

Yes. You made a huge deal about me working in engineering and not having a 4 year degree. Lots of pm's from folks on this forum. They're reading your words now.

It was such a huge issue for you. Why I don't know. But how could you forget?

INPO certification is all I need.

Williamsv":3mrr19vc said:
Please excuse me TB. I was not talking about you. I just got names confused. I was in a hurry and should never have posted anything. I was talking about Denvermartinfarms.
I will try to be more careful or better yet refrain from posting. I am getting too old and have too many things on my plate right now to be posting anything. So I see it is time to stop.

DO NOT STOP POSTING!! and yes, I was yelling.... I enjoy your posts and you are a very nice person.

You make CT a nicer place. Others?? NOT so much!! :tiphat:

TB It's not a big thing. I wasn't even in this thread. Then I got a pm and had to come look.

Now that I am here, my neighbor cannot function in society. Don't really know what her issues are. But she home schooled. Now each of her children have problems with social skills. It's pretty sad.

Maybe the Internet will help. Who knows. It seems to me a lot of sheltered kids have a hard time in the work environment later on. If you're gonna home school, make sure your kiddoes get some social interaction.

Everyone knows someone that is successful that was home schooled.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was in public school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was in private school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that dropped out of school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that went to college.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that didn't go to college.

In the end, we are all a product of our life experiences.

backhoe it is up to the parent(s) to get the kids involved. Since I have only been doing this for week I am learning so much about the home school groups around here. We have kids who get together and do archery, paint ball, volley ball, basket ball and numerous other sports. The day before the meeting several of the kids went skiing. We have groups that have kids in just the elementary and we have groups with kids in the middle and high school. There are also the field trips to places the kids in public school do not get to do.

So I figure it is up to me to get my daughter involved more and going ahead.

Right now she can hardly wait to get into the genetics part of her science to understand breeding of cattle.

You cannot teach a dumb kid. I went to school with some some never caught onto any thing started dumb ended dumb.

I luv herfrds":1p5afcdn said:
backhoe it is up to the parent(s) to get the kids involved. Since I have only been doing this for week I am learning so much about the home school groups around here. We have kids who get together and do archery, paint ball, volley ball, basket ball and numerous other sports. The day before the meeting several of the kids went skiing. We have groups that have kids in just the elementary and we have groups with kids in the middle and high school. There are also the field trips to places the kids in public school do not get to do.

So I figure it is up to me to get my daughter involved more and going ahead.

Right now she can hardly wait to get into the genetics part of her science to understand breeding of cattle.

Those activities you're describing are controlled environments. Putting kids in baseball with coaches and umpires is not the same as a group choosing sides and having their own game. My neighbor makes your same argument. She's at every activity. The kids do not reconcile differences on their own.

They need social skills. Those are developed. Counsel them as needed, but let the interact and develop. When we were overseas I went to private school. It is not the same as public.

Some kids do work out. Make sure yours does.

backhoeboogie":2fktlfui said:
TexasBred":2fktlfui said:
William with all due respect sir, did I even mention "college" or anyone having a lack of education??

Yes. You made a huge deal about me working in engineering and not having a 4 year degree. Lots of pm's from folks on this forum. They're reading your words now.

Well that was you Boogie and doesn't have a dam thing to do with THIS thread. (I got quite a few PMs as well for whatever that is worth) As for your certifications you can paper your house with them but until you have that college degree and that professional engineer designation you are an engineer only in your mind or perhaps some little job title....I have several dozens of them as well and they're worthless. I made a big deal out of it for that very reason. You constantly present yourself as something you are not !!!!! Now if you want to put forth the effort to earn the credentials you want to flaunt so highly that would be very admirable of you. It's never too late and you might actually become an engineer. ;-)

TexasBred":1cfgyvqo said:
backhoeboogie":1cfgyvqo said:
TexasBred":1cfgyvqo said:

Well that was you Boogie and doesn't have a dam thing to do with THIS thread. (I got quite a few PMs as well for whatever that is worth) As for your certifications you can paper your house with them but until you have that college degree and that professional engineer designation you are an engineer only in your mind or perhaps some little job title....I have several dozens of them as well and they're worthless. I made a big deal out of it for that very reason. You constantly present yourself as something you are not !!!!! Now if you want to put forth the effort to earn the credentials you want to flaunt so highly that would be very admirable of you. It's never too late and you might actually become an engineer. ;-)

Here we go again.

you make issues and then back pedal. I have no idea why my career bothers you so much.

I have been totally honest about everything. Never presented myself as anything I wasn't. Asked you to point that out. I am grandfathered too. Been thru EIT and could test. Should I do that just for you? Why. What's the point?

You did make issues. I have worked in engineering all these years. Many people know me personally. Have met others from this forum. TB I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Really sorry you have these issues you have. And anger. Whatever it is about me that triggers this anger you have, I apologize.

Hook":todss3af said:
Bullies will still find your kids. What then?

Bullies found you throughout life? What did you do?

There will always be people with emotional issues.

Hook":2rtp0z5v said:
backhoeboogie":2rtp0z5v said:
Hook":2rtp0z5v said:
Bullies will still find your kids. What then?

Bullies found you throughout life? What did you do?

There will always be people with emotional issues.
That's my point. Homeschooling isn't easy. And doing the virtual school isn't exacly homeschooling.

You're on the money then.

backhoeboogie":1934a9sm said:
Here we go again.

you make issues and then back pedal. I have no idea why my career bothers you so much.

I have been totally honest about everything. Never presented myself as anything I wasn't. Asked you to point that out. I am grandfathered too. Been thru EIT and could test. Should I do that just for you? Why. What's the point?

You did make issues. I have worked in engineering all these years. Many people know me personally. Have met others from this forum. TB I have absolutely nothing to hide.

Really sorry you have these issues you have. And anger. Whatever it is about me that triggers this anger you have, I apologize.

YOU brought it up son. We were talking about home schooling.
EIT...."The term "Engineer-in-Training" defines a person certified by the State of Texas as one who is a graduate of an engineering program or related science curriculum approved by the Board and who has passed the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) eight-hour Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Examination.

Individuals who meet the above criteria are eligible to apply for Engineer-in-Training certification. The Engineer-in-Training certification does not entitle an individual to practice as a professional engineer.
I have no issues nor anger so no apology necessary. You can call yourself an engineer an astronaut or a snake charmer....matters not to me...but be honest....You're the one that keeps coming back with what you consider "credentials". Get over it..... Now can we get back to the topic of home schooling which was quite enjoyable until you decided to railroad it.

Now what about home schooling -vs- public school ??

TexasBred said:
Now what about home schooling -vs- public school ??

You didn't dig deep enough. Or perhaps you did and didn't want to display the grandfathered sections. Not that it matters.

I oppose home schooling. We have beat this to death a few times in the past. Mostly my feelings pertain to peers who committed suicide back in the 80's. One was from a Catholic school from Massachusetts. Much like what you advocate.

Life is tough. Work is tough. People are tough. Lots of pressures. You don't learn how to deal with these things from text books. I know all about Paul's story and his life. He came to talk to me a few times but we were under the gun at work. Many crisis situations and deadlines. We were working 7 days a week at that point. No time to socialize outside of work. I didn't know it was that bad for him.

He had just experienced the summer of his life. Skiing and festivities every weekend. He fit in. A few alpha hotels had been giving him grief back in Boston. We took him under our wing. Then he got moved to another group.

First relations with a female had been going on. They had sort of broken up.

Psychologists claim all that fun he had been experiencing was bad. He now thought life was going back to what he had always known.

I will always blame myself some for not taking the time at work to counsel him. I had no idea he was that bad off in his head. He was a good guy.

I could go on and on. Paul took his life.

Sean took his life a year later. I don't know explicit details there. Other than the fact he had been sheltered all his life.

I am certain I went into much more detail about Paul last time we beat this home school/private school thing to death.

Kids need to learn social skills. I used to watch Paul sit there and take it from his Yankee peers out of the Boston office. Stone & Webster Engineering. I stepped in and put a stop to it. He was no longer their punching bag. John, Barry and I befriended him. Somehow I feel I let him down. I live with it.

Bigfoot":1k9t18gj said:
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was home schooled.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was in public school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that was in private school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that dropped out of school.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that went to college.
Everyone knows someone that is successful that didn't go to college.

In the end, we are all a product of our life experiences.

Right on. I've worked with people with advanced degrees who were dumber than a box of rocks, and others who were very intelligent who never went to college a day in their lives. The one constant is the intelligence and emotional maturity of the parents, regardless of their education level.

All 3 of my kids swear that the bullying at church is worse than the bullying at school. The bullies all attend private school. Not sure what that says about the church I attend, or private school.

What it says is that we are living in a society which is becoming so hypersensitive that they perceive anyone who has the fortitude to stand up for himself and speak his mind to be a bully. The churches and private schools don't have to answer and cave to the same societal pressures as public schools, so they can afford to encourage people to be their own person, AKA, a bully to the spineless masses.

What I'm seeing here is that some people are using homeschooling as an excuse to create more professional victims out of their children, just like the public schools, in an attempt to shield them from the harsh realities of dealing with difficult people rather than teaching them how to stand up for themselves and refuse to accept or tolerate bad behavior.

Latest posts