Home Schooling

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Yeah I know I'm crazy!

Our daughter has been having a lot of trouble in a couple of her classes. Math and English. Of course we took our normal route, it is her fault. No TV, no Kindle no nothing til her grades improve.
Had a meeting with the teacher, who panic's for some reason and kept demanding to know where the super was.
We rode our daughters butt! Nightly demands of where is your home work and us checking it. Grades were still F's. What was going on? Go online and see a quiz on 2-6 was marked late. Now I am curious. Daughter was not even in school for that quiz she was in knee surgery. Teacher had told us anything turned in late she automatically takes 50% off. Ok. Several other assignments are marked Late. Now I am really starting to wonder because those were days she was in the hospital after the ATV accident.

Homework is scoring 80% to 90% but the quizzes are in the 30%. Cannot get a straight answer from the teacher or super.

Daughter is now fustrated and just giving up and not caring. Call the super to try to get her some help and get told to go ahead and transfer her to another district he doesn't care! He turned in his resignation letter to the school board that same night.

I pull daughter out that Thursday get her signed up for an online home schooling course. Get her started in the morning before I leave for work and check all her tests and worksheets when I get home. So far test scores are 80% to 100%. Lowest one was 60%. She missed a course instruction part but once she went back and covered that she got it. Still riding her butt though.
Much happier Daughter. Less stress.
Thinking of bumping up her level to see where she is on learning. Has always been great at math.

That's total BS on behalf of the school.. I'm glad you've found a solution.. Sounds like that district has a lot of problems and internal strife.. perhaps when it all washes out things will be better there again.

She was getting bullied by her classmates until the day she knocked one girl down and sat on her and punched another girl in the chest. The girls have left her alone but a couple of boys have been calling her some nasty names. Never in front of her big brother though! :)

She had a B in both classes at the beginning of the year. Called and asked for another teacher to help her. was told no.
Her math and english teacher are the same teacher. she was suppose to be getting help in title one from the same teacher.

Going to go get her an algebra course to start on today.

The more I interact with my kids teachers, the more I am unimpressed with folks in the profession. Also the constant changing teaching styles from dropping phonics to word memorizing is extremely frustrating.

My kids are taught to knock the bully out or get bullied. I won't compromise on this.

the more scientific 'teaching' has become the worse people are at math and spelling. I had a bunch of really good teachers who went the extra mile, and it helped me out a lot

Guess I'm lucky. Our teachers have really been great with my children. Really spurred their interest and exposed them to things I don't know anything about. Of course my children's education doesn't end at the school door and we work with them at home so I guess they get the benefit of both. I will say all the teachers haven't been been great but the value of the gems in the system far outweigh the few bad apples and am pleased with their education. I haven't been very impressed with the few home schooled children I've been around.

We're in discussions with the school board about our daughters counselor. She's not very good and now my daughter has to take physical science as a senior along with 20+ other seniors. We are blessed to have a neighbor that's a teacher in Telfair county. She's been helping our daughter with the Zen Miller and Hope scholarships and some others. She was very surprised that Dodge county didn't require physical science to graduate. But they do and the counselor didn't know this, she has 3 classes of students messed up. The Principal has called and expressed the schools gratitude for my wife's troubles. As a parent you need to stay on top of your kids education.

There are several in my area that are now home schooling - with a great deal of success I might add.

They have brought in tutors when the classes are about something they are not totally competent to teach.

Kids are passing all board required exams with flying colours.

And they are doing quite well in the world socially as well.

Funny thing was said to me the other day by my own daughter as she decides whether or not to home school.

"Schools today - at all levels - do not teach you HOW to think - they teach you WHAT to think."

I thought that was pretty accurate.

Best to all.

Bez__":1o5kcolh said:
denvermartinfarms":1o5kcolh said:
I was home schooled, y'all can take that any way you want :D

You proved my point young man

Be safe and be happy
Yep, I was home schooled, finished it at 16 and didn't even go 200k in debt and take 4 years to go lose my common sense in college.

I'll be 23 2 weeks from today, I have a herd of about 60 cows, a truck, some trailers and a tractor all paid for. I make a good living working for myself buying and selling feeder cattle, like it well enough i'm actually one of those people that can say I've never worked a day because I love what I do. I've been blessed, but never had anything give to me for nothing.

I guess i say all that to say that there's more to being successful than where or how much you go to school.

I think with Common Core being implemented, more and more people will be switching to home schooling and private schools if they can afford them. At least that's the trend in my area.

denvermartinfarms":1zj7pjfw said:
Bez__":1zj7pjfw said:
denvermartinfarms":1zj7pjfw said:
I was home schooled, y'all can take that any way you want :D

You proved my point young man

Be safe and be happy
Yep, I was home schooled, finished it at 16 and didn't even go 200k in debt and take 4 years to go lose my common sense in college.

I'll be 23 2 weeks from today, I have a herd of about 60 cows, a truck, some trailers and a tractor all paid for. I make a good living working for myself buying and selling feeder cattle, like it well enough i'm actually one of those people that can say I've never worked a day because I love what I do. I've been blessed, but never had anything give to me for nothing.

I guess i say all that to say that there's more to being successful than where or how much you go to school.
That's all good and you're to be commended Denver but you also realize that in your line of business you can be eating at the soup kitchen tomorrow and walking anywhere you go with nothing else to fall back on. :nod:

You do realize TB that he won't ever go hungry also? When SHTF the paper pushers will starve and be the prey for the zombies. He might not get fat, but he will survive.

don't take this the wrong way, but you may not know enough about the exact thing i do to have a educated opinion, and that's fine. I didn't want to make this about myself, just giving a point of view.