Herefords can be wild too.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We have mostly Hereford and Hereford influenced cows and run both Hereford and Angus bulls. We like Herefords because it seems overall they are calm and fairly easy to work with. In comparison in our herd we have had a higher disposition cull rate for others. There have been A couple BWF cows that were problematic and one straight bred Hereford in years past. Now we have good ol # 7 a home raised purebred Hereford 1st calf heifer. The bull she was sired by is the one that also sired a couple of oddly marked calves here. He himself was a little peculiar but we could handle him with ease, sometimes he would act nervous around strangers depending on the situation. Anyways this # 7 was always a little flighty and would not come through a gate if you were within sight. As soon as I would turn to walk back she would come. Now all of a sudden she takes off running if you get within sight of her out in the field. I think we ever get her in the barn she is going out in a trailer. Her calf doesn't seem to be like her surprisingly.

I've never had a Hereford that let me touch them. I had this one I called Big Momma. Pure bred Hereford. She would nurse any calf that asked. She was nursing for 2 years straight after he last calf, every calf in the field! I used to have to hide in the round hay feeder and jump out to vaccinate her. Shocked I never broke a needle into her. But I could not get her near the squeeze.

Most of our wildest cows are either Herefords or black baldies and salers. They raise some nice calves but I'm getting tired of handling them so they probably will be sent out of here a few at a time in the next few years too.

In my experience 99.8% of Herefords are easy going. The other .2% will come across a 40 acre pasture to kill you.
One neighbor raised Herefords that would kill you. They hauled what they could trap in there old barn to the sale barn that I worked for. They had an old 2ton truck with a stock rack. It took an half an hour to unload because the cattle would try and come through the side of the truck, but wouldn't leave. It's the one and only time in ten years sorting there that we sold strs and hfrs together. You couldn't split them.

Latest posts