Hereford Today

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
I have been holding something within myself for quite some time. I figure I can unload it now just to see if I am in the ballpark of being sane. I am just a little breeder. Since I have been on the industry mailing lists, I have formed the opinion of several inadequacies of the Hereford system (not that I could do any better). For example, I am not satisfied with actions, or lack of actions thereof, with the board of directors of the AHA. It seems to me that Angus Breeders are slaughtering us and the trend doesn't look like it is reversing. They (the board) spend too much time on resources on youth projects and other non-mission critical projects. Heck, this looks serious to me. That is all I see is stuff about shows and youth! Spend the money on adults first, then youth. They should be pumping the money into breeders in one form or another. I think we need to fire the entire board. Who should be on the board? Any nominations? We need someone to change the Angus momentum. Let's see some heads spin.

Don't get me started...I hate the annual activation fee (I paid lifetime dues for a reason). Whenever they have any kind of training, only those who raise cattle fulltime have the option of going (not that they could break away from their herd fo 3-4 days). I do disagree with you in that they should support the junior movement, however not at the expense of others with the same vested interest in the breed. Additionally, CHB should be expanded; last time I checked Hereford are raised in other ares besides metropolitan KC (they are beginning to branch out a little, well maybe little as in - microscopically). It's also hard as heck to get information out of anyone, except for registrations (Nancy and Carol and rest of the ladies in that office do a great job). Communication is the key to success or failure and AHA has a limited supply.

As for suggestions to the Board . . .

Here is one:

Take all the income from all the sources and place all the money in one account. Issue an American Express Card, tied to the account, to the CEO of the AHA and put this gentleman on a one way plane to Kasachstan (?). When he gets done there, send him to Korea, and then Japan, and then to China. If he is married and has children, take his family with him. Send him all around the world and don't let him come back until he has 1,000,000 head sold for exportation. If he can't leave his family or if his family can't go, get someone else to be the CEO.

HerefordSire":2eqmylme said:

Here is one:

Take all the income from all the sources and place all the money in one account. Issue an American Express Card, tied to the account, to the CEO of the AHA and put this gentleman on a one way plane to Kasachstan (?). When he gets done there, send him to Korea, and then Japan, and then to China. If he is married and has children, take his family with him. Send him all around the world and don't let him come back until he has 1,000,000 head sold for exportation. If he can't leave his family or if his family can't go, get someone else to be the CEO.

Here is another:

Issue a check for $1,000 to any Hereford breeder that sells a registered Hereford Cow or Heifer to a non-registered breeder or commecial herd.

HerefordSire":2nay5kku said:
Here is another:

Issue a check for $1,000 to any Hereford breeder that sells a registered Hereford Cow or Heifer to a non-registered breeder or commecial herd.

I think you've been sucking on TOO many of those Bud Limes, HS!

George

Herefords.US":2gsqgdx0 said:
HerefordSire":2gsqgdx0 said:
Here is another:

George

It may be because I haven't had a Bud Lime in about 10 days and I am hallicinating. :mrgreen:

Here are others (maybe I will fall on one that will work):

Any state Hereford association that signs up a new lifetime breeder gets $750 cash. Any small local meat processor gets $500 cash for being a Certified Hereford Butcher and free local advertising for five years. Sign an agreement with Wal-Mart to carry Certified Hereford Beef containing a 25% discount below Certified Angus Beef prices. Discontinue all youth programs for 5 years. Discontinue all shows for five years.

sooknortex":nplkwael said:
While silly, the reality of how bad the Hereford Assoc. stinks makes your ideas very entertaining.

I hate to even write this but I am gonna:

This is the first losing team I have ever been on and I am 47 years old. All is not lost though as the game isn't over yet. I hate losing. I like winning. I am not giving up. I hate being on a losing team. I figured the stats would be bottoming by now and reversing. We are getting blistered. We need leadership to get us out of this hole. It would help to have some funding behind a movement.

I'm pretty sure, from some of our private correspondence in the past, that your day job is with a private corporation, HS. But these ideas of yours look eerily similar to what we see from our elected officials and government bureaucrats in DC.

Let's see - just where is the AHA going to get all this money to give out? Have you looked at the AHA financial statement? How far would the cash on hand go once breeders put every non-Hereford breeder in their town into the Hereford business, temporarily, by selling them one cow - cheap - then getting a healthy $1000 rebate check from the government - excuse me - AHA. Last time I checked the AHA couldn't print money like our government does. I guess we could put a Hereford tax on the "richest" Hereford breeders and then redistribute that out to the rest of us. Tell Jack Holden to just send me mine directly!

As far as the junior program goes, I totally disagree. If Herefords are ever going to establish themselves as one of the prominent breeds of the future, it's going to be through the junior program getting enough young people interested and keeping them interested. I think some breeders do a good job in this area, but far too many don't, including myself.

I agree the AHA has failed - but the ones that failed were the ones that were there 30-40 years ago and didn't properly respond to the challenges that the Angus folks put forth. They got outworked and outpromoted. The ones there today are in a deep hole trying to dig their way out with a much too small shovel handed to them by their predecessors.

And I agree - there's a whole lot that stinks about it!

George

HerefordSire":1l6u4dv7 said:
We need leadership to get us out of this hole. It would help to have some funding behind a movement.[/i]

Perhaps you haven't worked with people that are typical Hereford breeders but I have. Generally, farmers and ranchers are the most independent minded, free thinking people alive.

That ought to be evident through the banter that's posted on this board.

To get a large enough group banded together to make a real difference is a Herculean task...and totally impossible until everyone is REALLY hurting. Organizing disgruntled Hereford breeders would be like trying to herd cats.

I've been through this before - different group of folks, but just as independent minded.

I predict any attempt, while cohesive in the beginning would soon fall apart with infighting and disagreement over what the goals of the new movement should be.

Sooner or later - you learn to pick your battles more wisely.

George

HerefordSire":1v44lsj9 said:
Herefords.US":1v44lsj9 said:
HerefordSire":1v44lsj9 said:
Here is another:

George

It may be because I haven't had a Bud Lime in about 10 days and I am hallicinating. :mrgreen:

Any state Hereford association that signs up a new lifetime breeder gets $750 cash. Any small local meat processor gets $500 cash for being a Certified Hereford Butcher and free local advertising for five years. Sign an agreement with Wal-Mart to carry Certified Hereford Beef containing a 25% discount below Certified Angus Beef prices. Discontinue all youth programs for 5 years. Discontinue all shows for five years.

WalMart doesn't carry CAB. Youngsters are the future of the breed. If you don't offer programs for them, your breed has no future.

Herefords.US":1o2ek7gp said:
I'm pretty sure, from some of our private correspondence in the past, that your day job is with a private corporation, HS. But these ideas of yours look eerily similar to what we see from our elected officials and government bureaucrats in DC.

Do I sound like Sarah Palin? :mrgreen:

Let's see - just where is the AHA going to get all this money to give out? Have you looked at the AHA financial statement? How far would the cash on hand go once breeders put every non-Hereford breeder in their town into the Hereford business, temporarily, by selling them one cow - cheap - then getting a healthy $1000 rebate check from the government - excuse me - AHA. Last time I checked the AHA couldn't print money like our government does. I guess we could put a Hereford tax on the "richest" Hereford breeders and then redistribute that out to the rest of us. Tell Jack Holden to just send me mine directly!

Here is the Annual Statement for those interested. This includes the financial statements.

Warning....pdf Download
http://www.herefordworld.org/_HW/Docume ... alRprt.pdf

I can figure out a plan to fund ourselves. You just call me T. Boone from now on. First we need to clean house. In the future posts, I will be more realistic about self-funding projects. The most important thing I see, is to get rid of the good ole buddies in office that are hindering progress. We need to bump revenues up drastically. Where is Underwood when you need him?

As far as the junior program goes, I totally disagree. If Herefords are ever going to establish themselves as one of the prominent breeds of the future, it's going to be through the junior program getting enough young people interested and keeping them interested. I think some breeders do a good job in this area, but far too many don't, including myself.

You ain't hurtin 'nuff yet! When you hurtin 'nuff, then we can cut it out. Looks like $1.2M sitting in the coffers we can use to beat Angus.

I agree the AHA has failed - but the ones that failed were the ones that were there 30-40 years ago and didn't properly respond to the challenges that the Angus folks put forth. They got outworked and outpromoted. The ones there today are in a deep hole trying to dig their way out with a much too small shovel handed to them by their predecessors.

I am glad you partially agree.

And I agree - there's a whole lot that stinks about it!

George

sooknortex":1f6xfwiy said:
>>The ones there today are in a deep hole trying to dig their way out with a much too small shovel handed to them by their predecessors.<<

Maybe that's the problem. When in a deep hole you don't need a small or big shovel, you need a LADDER or a Rope. When somebody realizes this maybe we'll see some improvement.

Too much show and foo-foo( and ridiculous fees), Adult and Youth. The AHA needs to concentrate on the "Real World Cattleman", the commercial producers.

I look at this problem similarly to the way I look at the solutions put forth to change America's dependence on foreign oil.

To solve this problem, it's going to take a full-out "ALL OF THE ABOVE" approach.

Don't dissolve one program to try another. Do both!

Also, consider this...besides sending money to the AHA, what have ALL of YOU done to help promote the breed? I know I could do more than I do! And I'd wager most everyone else would fall into the same category. To expect the AHA to do everything for us is the same type mindset that those have who expect the government to do everything for them.

George

WalMart doesn't carry CAB. Youngsters are the future of the breed. If you don't offer programs for them, your breed has no future.

That could be the principal portion of the plan....get the Wal-Mart account. Sign 'em up for five years minimum. They get priority of our best Certified Hereford Beef. If we can't handle the volume, we could create incentives to breeders and ranchers. We need all the funding we can to turn this baby around, so the youth program has to go, temporarily. So do the shows. Frankie, quit trying to throw us off track! :mrgreen:

HerefordSire":8o3nhh23 said:
... so the youth program has to go, temporarily. So do the shows.

See! We're already in disagreement about which road to follow! :tiphat:

....herding cats
....herding cats
....herding cats!

George

HerefordSire":16qbxx0o said:
Herefords.US":16qbxx0o said:
HerefordSire":16qbxx0o said:
Here is another:

George

Wal-Mart???? You are worried about Wal-Mart? Heck if you want it you can't buy Certified Hereford Beef anywhere in the state of Mississippi. Dittoe with Montana, Vermont, Oregon, Deleware, Maine, and NEW JERSEY!!!

They just have (very recently) gotten a single grocer in the greater Birmingham area to sell the product.

http://www.herefordbeef.net/wheretobuy/locationsnearyou

sooknortex":3qhd1o6q said:
>>To solve this problem, it's going to take a full-out "ALL OF THE ABOVE" approach.<<

Sounds like you've been listening to Jim Puplava and John Loeffler!

I honestly have no idea who either of these people are! Well, off to google I go! :lol:

George

Herefords.US":20p5gwht said:
HerefordSire":20p5gwht said:
... so the youth program has to go, temporarily. So do the shows.

See! We're already in disagreement about which road to follow! :tiphat:

....herding cats
....herding cats
....herding cats!

George

OK, OK, OK. You could be in charge of the youth program but the budget has to be cut in half. No more shows! :mrgreen:

Plus, what is the heck are we spending $1.3M for 10 acres for? Heck, that is $130K per acre? I know where they can get some acres for $800 per acre. Do you own that $130K per acre land? :mrgreen:

Wal-Mart???? You are worried about Wal-Mart? Heck if you want it you can't buy Certified Hereford Beef anywhere in the state of Mississippi. Dittoe with Montana, Vermont, Oregon, Deleware, Maine, and NEW JERSEY!!!

They just have (very recently) gotten a single grocer in the greater Birmingham area to sell the product.

http://www.herefordbeef.net/wheretobuy/locationsnearyou

You have to be kidding! Is there a 10th grader in charge of CHB?

sooknortex":3tiu9onz said:
>>To solve this problem, it's going to take a full-out "ALL OF THE ABOVE" approach.<<

Sounds like you've been listening to Jim Puplava and John Loeffler!

I know who they are. They have a good source of writers posting financial articles. I frequent the site. Good stuff if you are a numbers freak like me.

Latest posts