Hereford Today

Help Support CattleToday:

I've read some of the posts but not all. I am an oustsider in the fact that I am an AAA member. Here are some of the things that make the AAA successful. 1. They attempt to be a full service organization. (yes some of us slip through the cracks in many ways) 2. AAA advertises in many ways not only in the media but by word of mouth, listening sessions and meetings for commercial producers (all over the country). In many ways the focus is on the commercial producer through value added services such as the Agus beef bulletin, source tagging and value added sales. 3. Through the angus foundation we raise tons of money not only for scholorships but for R&D that will eventually work its way into the entire industry. But first it will benefit the angus breed. I'm sure that I'm missing some things that make us viable in the commercial market but these are some of the things that I see that others may not have mentioned. IMO herefords should still have a strong foothold in the market place. I see very few hereford breeders in my area that teach their neighbors the benefits about hereford genetics. I think it takes work to build ionterest in your product these days. There are to many competing breeds today to just sit idly by and assume that someone will want your genetics, whatever it may be! Complacency may be more at fault than direction.

Avalon":3tfb7fq7 said:
I've read some of the posts but not all. I am an oustsider in the fact that I am an AAA member. Here are some of the things that make the AAA successful. 1. They attempt to be a full service organization. (yes some of us slip through the cracks in many ways) 2. AAA advertises in many ways not only in the media but by word of mouth, listening sessions and meetings for commercial producers (all over the country). In many ways the focus is on the commercial producer through value added services such as the Agus beef bulletin, source tagging and value added sales. 3. Through the angus foundation we raise tons of money not only for scholorships but for R&D that will eventually work its way into the entire industry. But first it will benefit the angus breed. I'm sure that I'm missing some things that make us viable in the commercial market but these are some of the things that I see that others may not have mentioned. IMO herefords should still have a strong foothold in the market place. I see very few hereford breeders in my area that teach their neighbors the benefits about hereford genetics. I think it takes work to build ionterest in your product these days. There are to many competing breeds today to just sit idly by and assume that someone will want your genetics, whatever it may be! Complacency may be more at fault than direction.

Do you have any Hereford influenced cattle you want to sell at a premium price?

HerefordSire":3d4r3aua said:
Frankie":3d4r3aua said:
HerefordSire":3d4r3aua said:
The foreign buyers operating in a foreign currency having a favorable exchange rate mentioned in item #2 in a prior post would be sufficient to boost Hereford influenced demand. If management didn't want to use this avenue, the only other source of income I can think of is..... retired wealthy passionate life long Hereford members wanting to strategically reduce estate taxes when passing away. Instead of donating to another worthy cause, for example, they donate the funds to AHA. By the way, we are talking about 10-15% price increases at sale barns multiplied by all the sale barns in the country. It would only take one wealthy person to do this for a 2-3 year period.

Is the AHA a non-profit?

I would think so but if by chance they were a profitable entity, we could create a non-profit entity and the donation could be directed toward this entity to receive full tax benefits under IRS rules and regulations based upon GAAP.

Yes, but could that entity spend the money buying Hereford cattle? I doubt it.

HerefordSire":d7iyveqr said:

No but my buddy Tim is selling a bunch today down at Deshazers.... (Of course you allready knew that)

The AHA is not a non-profit.

If I were rich and had no heirs, artificially raising the price of Hereford cattle would not be the legacy I would have in mind. CHB sold 37.5 million pounds of product in 2007 from 454,000 head (down 10,000 head in 2006) that's only 82.6 lbs per head so I am assuming that all CHB can sell is ribeyes and T-bones. For CHB to pay an additional 3 cents a pound for Hereford fat cattle (~a $37.5 a hd premium at 1250 lbs) would cost over $17 million. IF CHB demand DOUBLED that would be over $34 million.

Yes, but could that entity spend the money buying Hereford cattle? I doubt it.

Please allow me to answer your question with questions:

Could the Bill Gates and Warren Buffet foundation invest in US Treasury securities? How about JP Morgan equities? How about Lehman Brother's Corporate Bonds? How about Municipal Bonds back by the full faith and credit of New Orleans?

Avalon":2uhm9sfa said:
HerefordSire":2uhm9sfa said:

No but my buddy Tim is selling a bunch today down at Deshazers.... (Of course you allready knew that)

I think Tim already receives premiums for his quality cattle and he may be classified as a large breeder which could put those cattle off limits unless they were picked up at the sale barn. Do you have any small to medium size rancher buddies that want to sell Hereford influenced cattle at a premium?

Brandonm22":25oheag5 said:
The AHA is not a non-profit.

If I were rich and had no heirs, artificially raising the price of Hereford cattle would not be the legacy I would have in mind. CHB sold 37.5 million pounds of product in 2007 from 454,000 head (down 10,000 head in 2006) that's only 82.6 lbs per head so I am assuming that all CHB can sell is ribeyes and T-bones. For CHB to pay an additional 3 cents a pound for Hereford fat cattle (~a $37.5 a hd premium at 1250 lbs) would cost over $17 million. IF CHB demand DOUBLED that would be over $34 million.

You may not be noted for artificially raising the price. You could be noted for correcting the deficiencies of breeders. In other words, you would be helping your fellow breeders turn the corner as we already breed the improvements that are not recognized by the masses. You would be a hero and your name would last forever, kind of like old "Silver". The packers appear to be taking our profit and you don't want to change it to protect the Hereford Heritage that you may have spent your entire life working for and possibly your ancesters? You would be willing to take a chance of the Hereford breed to practically diminishby not acting?

You are expecting the additional cash to be paid for the entire animal instead of the price per pound difference. The initial funds would be replenished as soon as the Wal-Mart or Costco accounts payable reimbursed the fund. You would just need to cough up the premium to intercept the animal from CAB so you can fill the order. You are also projecting an annual doubling budget instead of cash flow for a month. Even so, $34M is not out of the question for someone to donate, especially if the Fed is getting ready to grab it.

turbo":3j4bn9iu said:
Hi I'm an angus breeder listening in, you guys have the greatest cattle breeder I'v ever met in your corner,Jim Lents. Yet the powers that be at AHA do their best to keep him the best kept secert in the hereford world. WHY? I do buy his bulls sight unseen, regularly for my com. herd. Great cattle from a great cattleman,author, and gentleman. The AHA is missing out.

I would certainly agree that there is a place for Jim's cattle, and I think a judicious infusion of his genetics could benefit a lot of herds afflicted with funnel rears and the like. I don't know where else you would go to get genetics that will quality grade Choice while yield grade 1 at the same time.

smnherf wrote:

If that doesnt work or hasn't worked, then the CHB board needs to look at the structure of the procurement system and those that are running it. That is another topic in of itself.

Well that is a topic I would like to hear about. Please elaborate!