Hereford breeders...thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

We focused on Eye Set, he has google eyes and he's not Denver Material...that sorta goes without saying. Totally agree with everyone on that...I also agree that you have to and very much should pay your dues before trying to step up to selling bulls on reputation....but you do not get defined on a single Bull.

is it not true that you have buyers that can only afford 1000$ Bulls and buyers that can afford to write you a check for your entire herd? If we didn't have the different levels of Breeders then this guy wouldn't be in existence. If it wasn't for them, i think it's safe to say that a few of us wouldn't be able to be in this business.

Dude, i'm calm....I love the Horns btw!

glfgy74":imlu6xhu said:
is it not true that you have buyers that can only afford 1000$ Bulls

Why would you want to cater to people that can only afford to pay you sale barn prices for your cattle? Why not just produce a better product and sell it at the barn if you are going to sell at commerical prices? Makes no sense to me why you would chase people who don't think they can afford a decent bull. Just because all they can "afford" is a shoulda been a steer doesn't mean it is worth your resources to produce a shoulda been a steer.

When life gives you lemons...

We bought two bred cows and a Cow/Calf Pair in March 2014. dealing with those calves now....i didn't know my arse from a hat then...thought I knew enough. I'm not breeding Herefords to be mediocre...We'll get better as time marches on, but for now we have these Bulls to deal with....i thought he was showing good growth compared to what I've seen. I was curious if there might be some thoughts on the commercial side of this....

I get the point, I've got lemonade to make!

No, you still don't quite get it, you've got steaks, roasts and burger to make.

Just because these two bull calves are still intact doesn't mean you can't just let them produce retail product. Even years later when you've come a lot closer to where you want to be, only a varying % of bull calves born will make it past weaning, some years will be a good bull year and 50% or so can be good enough, other years less than 10% can be good enough depending on your breeding methods. Until you can recognise the ones with potential and also the potential problems, rather be conservative and sell for slaughter or to a feedlot or as custom beef if you want to ad more value.

Caustic Burno":3iokkb4u said:
KNERSIE":3iokkb4u said:
This is a good eye set on a Hereford bull.

Venture a guess Vindicator in the lines?
Looks a lot like some Angiha bloodlines I used to run.

No Vindicator, he goes back to GK Renegade many moons ago. He is similar in type to the Anhingas, but heavier and harder muscled.

To funny KNERSIE....i get it now without question!

I'm going to keep a set on the older Bull and see what he looks like as a two year old...I'll get rid of the other 2 bull calves i have! Someone else can cut their nuts off....Hopefully i have a set of Heifers growing in them Mama's for this falls calf crop!

KNERSIE":1kuyilj2 said:
This is a good eye set on a Hereford bull.

In contrast.

Just got to stay away from the "someone just poked me in the butt with a hotshot" look.

Yes sir! His eyes are horrible...no argument there. I'll fatten him up and sell him in another couple of months. Maybe i can put a down payment on that big boy above with what i get for him!

Latest posts