Hereford breeders...thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":3pqvfmoh said:
He would be steer here. My steer calves of that age are around the 450-500 lb range right now - I expect much more of bulls. Unless you start pounding the grain to him, he won't be mature enough at a year to settle much, if anything.

Individual weight is irrelevant. Only his ratio WITHIN his contemporary group! What your calves weight at your house under your management is a non factor in comparison to someone else's operation.

Feed isn't going to speed up his sexual maturity. He might be larger and more physically capable of 'reaching' larger cattle but that is going to have absolutely zero effect his ability to 'settle' cows. IF anything, the grain is going to lower his count.

KNERSIE":2knsh07b said:
The breed don't need anymore bulls with bug eyes, otherwise we'll never lay the stigma to rest. Not every male calf born is a bull in the making.
I don't know anything about Herfs. Are you saying the younger bull has the bug eyes? And it causes the "eye problems" in the breed? Pink eye, injury ect?

Yes- it's a problem with any individual in any breed that has that protruding eye set. The brow is designed to protect the eye from exposure of all sorts. You can see how if the eye protrudes farther than the brow how this makes the eye more susceptible to injury or exposure to flies. There are some Shorthorn bulls that still have this issue as well and I have some of that influence in my herd. Seldom do I have a case of pinkeye, but when I do, rest assured it's going to be one of those cows that have that eye set.

Rollie5.jpg

little better look at his eyes...his mama has them also! haven't had a problem yet...luckily!

bulldurham":1ziphcvn said:
Aaron":1ziphcvn said:
He would be steer here. My steer calves of that age are around the 450-500 lb range right now - I expect much more of bulls. Unless you start pounding the grain to him, he won't be mature enough at a year to settle much, if anything.

Individual weight is irrelevant. Only his ratio WITHIN his contemporary group! What your calves weight at your house under your management is a non factor in comparison to someone else's operation.

Feed isn't going to speed up his sexual maturity. He might be larger and more physically capable of 'reaching' larger cattle but that is going to have absolutely zero effect his ability to 'settle' cows. IF anything, the grain is going to lower his count.

Go tell a commercial cattleman that your 400 lb 205 day bull calf is something special compared to his 300 lb contemporaries. See how many are just itching to jump in on your program. Versus the guy trying to sell a 600 lb 205 day bull with 550 lb contemporaries.

And if he becomes stunted because of lack of groceries, that will impede his sexual maturity.

Probably gonna have people jump all over me for this but, if you need chat forum approval to keep Bulls then you probably should not be selling Bulls.

I think one needs to have a target in the market and match your animals to that. Are you maternal, growthy, or moderate? List goes on and on.

It's really not about approval and more about opinions. And when you are new to this Business, having an avenue to reach out to fellow breeders should be an asset instead of a hindrance. If it bothers people that a breeder would like an opinion I would encourage them to consider that not everyone grew up raising cattle. I've done my home work, I'm not a fool and I do realize that there are tiers of breeders that could use less than perfect Bulls.

All opinions are greatly appreciated whether I agree with them or not....and just in case you're wondering my opinion, the next time you begin a reply or a post with something along the lines of (probably gonna have people jump all over me...) try re-wording so that it makes you sound more encouraging instead of discouraging! I thought this forum was created to be a helpful tool not a tool to put people down....

glfgy74,

No one is discouraging you, but most of us that breed bulls have been doing it for a while, so we know how an animal is likely to develop, we know what are cull faults and what are just a little less desireable.

I'll say it again, in this business you're as good as the worst bull you've ever sold, so be very careful what you sell in the early years.

At the risk of sounding very arrogant... you've got to earn the right to sell bulls...

glfgy74 said:
It's really not about approval and more about opinions. And when you are new to this Business, having an avenue to reach out to fellow breeders should be an asset instead of a hindrance. If it bothers people that a breeder would like an opinion I would encourage them to consider that not everyone grew up raising cattle. I've done my home work, I'm not a fool and I do realize that there are tiers of breeders that could use less than perfect Bulls.

All opinions are greatly appreciated whether I agree with them or not....and just in case you're wondering my opinion, the next time you begin a reply or a post with something along the lines of (probably gonna have people jump all over me...) try re-wording so that it makes you sound more encouraging instead of discouraging! I thought this forum was created to be a helpful tool not a tool to put people down....[/quote

Dude chill out. There was nothing passive aggressive in my reply. What type of animal are you trying to produce and what type of market are you breeding for?

What are these tiers that use less than "perfect" Bulls?

I have tried to reserve judgement of an animal based on a few pictures. But since you would like some specifics, here goes.
On the younger bull, he is much too narrow in the base. He should be broad and square without his hocks together. He lacks debt in his heart girth. He is lacking muscle definition. I was ignoring your weight estimate, because it is only your estimate. But if he truly is only "400 lds" he is not growing up to par.
After looking at the last photos, I will have to agree with the others.

glfgy74":12lq0dok said:
why Jake? (not against it just would like to know more)

He is lacking almost all the characteristics that I look for in a you bull at his age. Lacks masculitiy and muscling. He is narrow based and incredibly "calfy" looking for 7 months old.

I would have considered the 16 month old bull in the same category. Should have been a feeder steer. Hard to judge weight from a picture but that rate of growth is unacceptable to me. When the cattle market falls again you won't be paying any bills with those type of weights no matter how little you feed the cows.

Latest posts