Here we go again...

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
So. I think I got a calf to graft on my heifer that lost her baby.

Shes still partly retaining.
My thoughts are to get her in the chute, get this calf a nursing.
Now the real question....
I hear to leave a retained placenta alone now a days.
But would it be prudent to maybe pull some out and get it on this graft calf??
Or should i just feel around a bit and rub what I can by hand on the calf?
I dont want to pull the placenta if it will cause problems.

The last one, I got lucky.
Mama shed the placenta, and I already had a calf. Just put that placenta on the calf and it was grafted. Easy as that..

I've heard wetting the calf down a little with some salty water helps the cow start licking and accepting it.

if the cow licked her dead calf, I would skin it and tie the hide onto the new calf. I have found that to work the best. I also keep a product called calf claim in my barn that I use mostly for first calf heifers that aren't sure what to do. You sprinkle it over the calf and rub it in. it is a molasses base that helps encourage them to start licking. they claim it works for cows to adopt a calf also but have never used it for that. Good luck

My best friend bought 2 of my calves this year to graft (one was a twin, the other rejected by a first calf heifer). The first cow lost her calf 3 days prior but all it took was getting the cow in the chute with cubes, getting the calf latched on and literally was a solid pair by 24 hours. The second cow had lost her calf 4-5 days prior and it was a match by the end of the afternoon. No skinned hide, placenta, Orphan No More. These cows just wanted to be mamas in the worst way & the calves were aggressive.

Good luck!

sstterry said:
Dsth said:
if the cow licked her dead calf, I would skin it and tie the hide onto the new calf. I have found that to work the best.

It also smells to high heaven in a couple of days!

Her calf has been dead for 2 days. I didnt skin it that day because I couldnt locate a calf. That's why I'm thinking about pulling some of that placenta.
I just dont wanna hurt the cow.

TCRanch said:
My best friend bought 2 of my calves this year to graft (one was a twin, the other rejected by a first calf heifer). The first cow lost her calf 3 days prior but all it took was getting the cow in the chute with cubes, getting the calf latched on and literally was a solid pair by 24 hours. The second cow had lost her calf 4-5 days prior and it was a match by the end of the afternoon. No skinned hide, placenta, Orphan No More. These cows just wanted to be mamas in the worst way & the calves were aggressive.

Good luck!

That's what I'm hoping for!
I spent 3 weeks on one once.
Then again I spend 10 minutes one time.
Lol

They left the calf at the barn... jeesus.
Waiting on it to arrive now.
Should be any time. Already got mama in the trailer. I bet shes enjoying a break from this cold rain anyway!

O! Just got a text. Hes here! Hes here!
I'll update in a bit. Gotta remember lots of pictures.

76 Bar said:
Whatever you do Murray don't attempt to pull out the placenta. The hanging weight will help her dispel it. Trim a small amount at the exposed end if you wish to rub it on the calf.

Thank you sir!
No placenta required....
My favorite tool. A 5 gallon bucket of cubes.

This morning she was a bit of an A ho.
This pic is right b4 she decided to start shoving the baby around.
She will be in the chute this evening until that baby has its fill.
She won't get any feed until after the baby nurses now too.
I will get her lined out...

Good attitude Murray!
Its important that she doesn't repeatedly whack the calf as they can get "gun shy". Contrary to what you might think, I'd give the cow enough "treats" while in the chute to keep her occupied and take her mind off kicking. If possible I'd pen them in a very small enclosure but with a barrier to protect the calf. If you have an obedient dog that focuses on the pair it can be helpful to trigger maternal instincts. Last but not least you can hobble her hind feet but you need to do it properly. Good luck!

76 Bar said:
Good attitude Murray!
Its important that she doesn't repeatedly whack the calf as they can get "gun shy". Contrary to what you might think, I'd give the cow enough "treats" while in the chute to keep her occupied and take her mind off kicking. If possible I'd pen them in a very small enclosure but with a barrier to protect the calf. If you have an obedient dog that focuses on the pair it can be helpful to trigger maternal instincts. Last but not least you can hobble her hind feet but you need to do it properly. Good luck!

My thoughts exactly.
I actually bought a set of hobbles a couple years ago for the one that took me 3 weeks. They were pretty nice actually. Padded and shiny chrome chains. Looked like something from one a dem bdsm shops I hear tell about..
I never had to use em. She all a sudden decided to take.
Thatll be my last option. We will see how it goes tonight.
Stay tuned folks....
Ain't this fun? Lolz

A little progress this evening. I kept her attention with feed in the pan covered in hay so she she had to dig around a bit.
She still shoving the calf a bit with her head.
A tap with a stick gets her attention. And calf goes right back to nursing. Wonder how long b4 she gives in...

It was almost like the heifer dance this morning. U know, round and round chasing the udder. Mama chasing baby. Baby chasing the udder.
The kid is getting real good at dodging kicks and going right back to nursing. Her persistance pays huge dividends. Mama eventually settles, and eats her feed while the baby tanks up. No where near ready to turn out yet, but its progress nonetheless...

Not much new this evening.
The calf follows mama everywhere. Still had to pen and feed mama to let baby nurse. More shoving. More kicking. More cussing. Lol

Probly my mind playing tricks, but looked like mama had been nursed b4 I got there...

She'll settle as the calf is persistent enough it seems. That's the biggest hurdle. Might take a week or so.... but it is better than losing a whole lactation.....
AIN'T FARMING FUN???!!!!

Latest posts