So, we had this happen

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
A week and a half ago, cow calved late in the afternoon. Things seemed ok. When i went back to check cows in this pasture, calf was exactly how i saw him the day before. We nabbed the calf and brought it to the house to inspect it. All legs worked, He though, could not put his front legs under him without him either, being in extreme pain, or he was having some sort of seizure. Fed the calf, ate just fine. Next day, same thing. We'd put his front legs under him and he'd pull his head down and between his legs and would stiffen all up. He could only lay on his side. Next day, husband said he'd put it down if there was no change. Well, we could get him to sit up, yay there was hope. Later that day, we could actually get him to stand. Day by day, he got a little better. Meanwhile, we got the cow up. I decided to milk her to keep her flowing. When i stood the calf up as i got the cow ready to milk and he actually stepped towards her. I couldnt believe i got him to nurse in the chute, just a few days before he couldnt even sit up. Anywoot, gate picture shows him before he could sit up, this is how he spent the first few days flopping like a fish. Never fails, if we put a calf in this pen, they find this one rut where we back up to the loading chute and they get out. Luckily, he couldnt run off... Today a week and a half later, he stands on his own and nurses. It was a long journey, but, baby steps and he may make it to a hamburger some day.
339070205_539125811626395_4443997068688931880_n.jpg

I had a heifer calf this spring that was hurt during delivery. Found her in the early morning lying flat under a two wire electric fence (not touching the wire). Drug her out and gave her a bottle of colostrum. She could not get up, just laid flat and moved her legs like she was running. She could not stand and flopped to her side when you released her. Fed her milk from a bottle a couple of times but had little hope. Weather was nice so I left her outside with her very concerned mom.
Went out the next day fully prepared to put her down but she was standing, though obviously hurting in her shoulder. She would stand just long enough to nurse and then lie back down. She gradually improved over a couple of weeks and began to associate with the other calves. She is thriving now but will never regain use of her front right shoulder.

I had a heifer calf this spring that was hurt during delivery. Found her in the early morning lying flat under a two wire electric fence (not touching the wire). Drug her out and gave her a bottle of colostrum. She could not get up, just laid flat and moved her legs like she was running. She could not stand and flopped to her side when you released her. Fed her milk from a bottle a couple of times but had little hope. Weather was nice so I left her outside with her very concerned mom.
Went out the next day fully prepared to put her down but she was standing, though obviously hurting in her shoulder. She would stand just long enough to nurse and then lie back down. She gradually improved over a couple of weeks and began to associate with the other calves. She is thriving now but will never regain use of her front right shoulder.
I know this has happened before but dont really recall the details. I know it was another massive bull calf. I named him Lackluster, he just seemed to not care about life. Just laid on his side. This was during a ice storm where i had many calves with problems, from limbs falling on their head, to Lackluster. i had 5 in my greenhouse at once. I was reminded on FB of a video i shot putting Lackluster back out with his mother. He was running and playing and i was so happy. I guess if they can move their legs, there is hope. I did have one that couldnt move anything past his mid back. Not sure how that one would have ended up, a neighbors dog, hog dog that would never mess with a calf :-/, was caught eating this calf red handed.. Neighbor denied, but, i had pictures....

Cowgirl8 you have more weird things happen then anyone else I have ever seen.

I often wonder how many twins we lose that we never knew we had. I never thought about it much until last year when I just by accident found a calf standing by a tree and not a cow around for a 1/2 a mile. I had been gone 4 or 5 days and I had three new calves when I returned. The calf I found was healthy and appeared to have had colostrum. I got it latched onto a Jersey a couple days later. Never did find out who the mother was.

I often wonder how many twins we lose that we never knew we had. I never thought about it much until last year when I just by accident found a calf standing by a tree and not a cow around for a 1/2 a mile. I had been gone 4 or 5 days and I had three new calves when I returned. The calf I found was healthy and appeared to have had colostrum. I got it latched onto a Jersey a couple days later. Never did find out who the mother was.
The biggest tip off with twins is if the cow retains her afterbirth. So, if you have a cow who did, she either had her calf prematurely, or, there was a twin.

Latest posts