2 down / 9 to go

Help Support CattleToday:

No sir I got interrupted and now it won't let me edit . The calves are out of a registered angus bull so 3/4 angus , 1/4 Hereford. Sorry I didn't finish! I have a 6 yr and 3 yr old grandsons and we are playing a new board game .
Sometimes the white face comes through even on high percentages.
We have quite a few 3/4 Angus calves with varying amounts of white faces.
We are using a 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford bull with a white face. A calf by him and a registered Angus cow last year yielded a white face heifer calf with as much white on her face as he has. This year same bull the cow has a solid black calf.

No sir I got interrupted and now it won't let me edit . The calves are out of a registered angus bull so 3/4 angus , 1/4 Hereford. Sorry I didn't finish! I have a 6 yr and 3 yr old grandsons and we are playing a new board game .
Huh???

Are Angus registering crossbreeds now?

I really don't like this idea that cross bred cattle can be registered as long as they have some kind of specific approved percentage. Designer dogs are just mutts, too...

We consistently have mottle faced calves from the reg angus bulls we use on bwf cows.... at least 50-60% will have some amount of white on the face, chin, around the eyes or ears. Never thought it was unusual...
Have a mostly white with some speckles longhorn that had a heifer just like her the first year, solid black bull next year... both by same bull. Then different bull, twin solid black heifers 3rd year, and new speckled white bull calf this April..... Both bulls were our easy calving bulls..... where we run the heifers, we leave the longhorn there as she is settled there and it is a pain to move her with her big horns... and those bulls have been here for 8+ years and used on all our heifers.. we rotate them..... all their calves have been black or bwf, on black or bwf or herford/rwf cows...
Be interesting to see what the speckled heifer has this year bred to 2nd bull....not her sire....... didn't want a fall calf so she got held over and was going to be beef but wound up pregnant..... all calves have been polled so far....

Huh???

Are Angus registering crossbreeds now?

I really don't like this idea that cross bred cattle can be registered as long as they have some kind of specific approved percentage. Designer dogs are just mutts, too...
No , I'm say bull is Registered black angus , heifer is 1/2 Hereford and half black angus . Calf would be 3/4 angus , correct ?

I was surprised at the brockle faced calves I got out of my cows and my hereford bull too. I was expecting this nice clean uniform crop of all perfect baldy calves!

Black bull don't guarantee no white on your calves with that type cow. BUT the SHOULD be black if he homo black right? As opposed to any red baldies..

I was surprised at the brockle faced calves I got out of my cows and my hereford bull too. I was expecting this nice clean uniform crop of all perfect baldy calves!

Black bull don't guarantee no white on your calves with that type cow. BUT the SHOULD be black if he homo black right? As opposed to any red baldies..
Correct. But have you seen any Angus bulls listed as Homo black? All other breeds list theirs as homo or not.

O!
Above my pay grade there. I thought that was an angus thing! 🤷‍♂️

Good Info!
Although most Black Angus are homo black many are not. When bred to cows with no red genes calves will be black. When bred to a cow with red genes all bets are off. I have ask a few Angus breeders why they dont test and they don't want to talk about the possibility of a red gene.

Congrats. Out of your 11 how many have you got down now?
I think that was coachg that had 11, not sure about posting etiquette maybe could have found a better place, had just found the calf so got excited and posted. I have 3 down so far and 7 to go should be 10 total if they all make it. The one above is a registered beef master bred to the same.

I think that was coachg that had 11, not sure about posting etiquette maybe could have found a better place, had just found the calf so got excited and posted. I have 3 down so far and 7 to go should be 10 total if they all make it. The one above is a registered beef master bred to the same.
I just remembered you saying you had 11 or so back when you started posting.

I just remembered you saying you had 11 or so back when you started posting.
You probably have it right. Have sold some and bought some. Been trying to get rid of some of my older cows so the herd should be 10 cows/heifers calving this year, 5 heifer calves that will get bred, 3 steers, 2 bulls, and the 3 calves this year. So should be 23 total. Small beans compared to some but probably pushing what I can hold on my place and make hay. Finally got some rain tonigh it was getting pretty dry.

You probably have it right. Have sold some and bought some. Been trying to get rid of some of my older cows so the herd should be 10 cows/heifers calving this year, 5 heifer calves that will get bred, 3 steers, 2 bulls, and the 3 calves this year. So should be 23 total. Small beans compared to some but probably pushing what I can hold on my place and make hay. Finally got some rain tonigh it was getting pretty dry.
No such thing as too big, small, old, young, busy or retired to have a say. Hope you're calving well.

Latest posts