2 down / 9 to go

Help Support CattleToday:

View attachment 28445View attachment 28446
I have 11 first calve heifers starting to calve . Started the 31st . Always a little nerve racking and time consuming. I check morning and evening and if I have one due more often . Everyone goes through it so you know the routine .
Nice calves! Are any by a bull you got from Gizmo? And in the 2nd pic...got any bass in there?!! :)

No sir , we won't get any Gizmo calves till this fall . These are out of a Quaker Hill Rampage son . And yes there are bass , bream and shell crackers in this one . You get a day you need to come visit . We have 4 ponds on the cattle farm and my wife's family has 5 I can fish . All have bass, bream/ shell crackers , and one has crappie in it .

Checked at 6 am , had a brotherhood, men's breakfast with 4 other churches at 7 . Then went at 4:30 because I have a Passover service at 6 . Busy day at church so I'm glad the heifer did her job !

No sir , we won't get any Gizmo calves till this fall . These are out of a Quaker Hill Rampage son . And yes there are bass , bream and shell crackers in this one . You get a day you need to come visit . We have 4 ponds on the cattle farm and my wife's family has 5 I can fish . All have bass, bream/ shell crackers , and one has crappie in it .
Man, I would like that. I promised myself I was going to fish a lot this year. So far, I have gone one time. I got Wayne's 50 Brahma cows bought and delivered last week, so I am NOT going to fool with cattle anymore for quite a while. I hope.

Man, I would like that. I promised myself I was going to fish a lot this year. So far, I have gone one time. I got Wayne's 50 Brahma cows bought and delivered last week, so I am NOT going to fool with cattle anymore for quite a while. I hope.
Go fishing, Warren. When you make it out to our place you can bring a rod or three then. We got spotted bass, drum, bream, channel and appaloosa catfish, some blues, and plenty of other in the mix. Bring two or three rods and you can fish the drift with one or two and run a lure on one. We have fun with it.

Go fishing, Warren. When you make it out to our place you can bring a rod or three then. We got spotted bass, drum, bream, channel and appaloosa catfish, some blues, and plenty of other in the mix. Bring two or three rods and you can fish the drift with one or two and run a lure on one. We have fun with it.
I will do that! Never heard of an appy catfish...gonna have to look them up.

Not to hijack, but since catfish came up, what do you all call hand fishing? In our area it's always referred to as hogging. First time I heard the term noodling I though "them people don't know what they're talking about!"

Hope the rest goes just as easy, Coach.

I will do that! Never heard of an appy catfish...gonna have to look them up
Southernized name for flatheads: "The flathead catfish is also known as the yellow cat, mud cat, Johnnie cat, goujon, appaluchion, opelousas,[3][4] pied cat and Mississippi cat.[5] In dialect of the Ozark mountains it may be referred to as a "granny cat."[6]"

I'll be honest, I learned something today, because my dumb azz just never thought about maybe that name being something localized and I've been walking around for not just a few years wondering why so few people who aren't from my neck of the woods have heard of an appy catfish.

Not to hijack, but since catfish came up, what do you all call hand fishing? In our area it's always referred to as hogging. First time I heard the term noodling I though "them people don't know what they're talking about!"

Hope the rest goes just as easy, Coach.
It's noodling, and I'll fight you on this one for one reason: Hannah Barron.

She's from Alabama, she's a world class noodler, hunter, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and she's my only celebrity crush. Look at her. Do you look like this, BFE? Unless you do, I'm going with whatever the hell she says it's called.

Don't ask why I have so many pictures of her saved.

unnamed.jpghannah-barron-social-media-photos-05-28-2020-8.jpg781380bfbc776537e898b9f577b21aa4.jpghannah-barron-social-media-photos-07-15-2020-3.jpg

1658FE9B-5311-4DED-9EBF-F9BBF92ACAA8.jpeg
#4 ; 7 more to calve . I've been waiting on this one . She is a daughter of high pockets . After checking the rest of the heifers I came back on the other side of the fence to see the sex of the calf and maybe think about tagging it . She is definitely her mother's daughter! . She is VERY protective, if you get my drift . Heifer calf .

Southernized name for flatheads: "The flathead catfish is also known as the yellow cat, mud cat, Johnnie cat, goujon, appaluchion, opelousas,[3][4] pied cat and Mississippi cat.[5] In dialect of the Ozark mountains it may be referred to as a "granny cat."[6]"

I'll be honest, I learned something today, because my dumb azz just never thought about maybe that name being something localized and I've been walking around for not just a few years wondering why so few people who aren't from my neck of the woods have heard of an appy catfish.

It's noodling, and I'll fight you on this one for one reason: Hannah Barron.

She's from Alabama, she's a world class noodler, hunter, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and she's my only celebrity crush. Look at her. Do you look like this, BFE? Unless you do, I'm going with whatever the hell she says it's called.

Don't ask why I have so many pictures of her saved.

View attachment 28498View attachment 28499View attachment 28500View attachment 28501
Mercy she's a nice looking young lady. Don't look any older than my oldest daughter though. Now I'm feeling my age!

Think there will be a little lull between #4 and the next heifer to calve . Got one not bellying up but no sign of bulling .

I have 3 more heifers to go and it looks like there is going to be a lull as well. They only have a couple more weeks to have a calf before they are too late and get culled.

Latest posts