9 year old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Would you be afraid of relying on a 9 year old bull if he passes a bse and checks all the required boxes? Breeding 35 head tops.

He's a registered MG bull if that matters. I have been looking for one within a reasonable drive and this is all I can find. He looks and moves around great. He's a son of OK Ben.

I can trade a couple steers for him I think.

Attachments

• received_829234668079729.mp4
    5.4 MB
Last edited:
Passing the BSE is only part of the equation. At 9 years old, does he still have game? No feet or leg issues?
He is doing a BSE on 6/21. If he passes he is breeding a group for the current owner.

That's a very good point you make.

He will have to do another bse before I buy him. If he is pulled in October, will he have enough rest time to do an exam in November?

If he is what you have been looking for and you just plan a couple years with him, I would go for it if he passes BSE and appears physically sound. Most bulls get culled before they reach that age, so they must have been happy with his offspring.

Agree if he passes a BSE and is sound should work in a short term deal. But if it was me I wouldn't want to deal with an old bull set in his ways that doesn't know me. I'd pony up the cash grab the wheel and roll them tires to where a bull is, that's ready for the long haul. We're all different and at different points in our life.

Would you be afraid of relying on a 9 year old bull if he passes a bse and checks all the required boxes? Breeding 35 head tops.

He's a registered MG bull if that matters. I have been looking for one within a reasonable drive and this is all I can find. He looks and moves around great. He's a son of OK Ben.

Better than decent conformation, moves fine, BSE good... a long as he likes girls you're in.

Seems a little small for age. Hard to say in pics. What does he weigh?

A 9 yr old bull that passes his BSE and moves well would be welcome here. We buy bulls with the expectations that they will be here 5-10 years... YES.... Have an easy calving bull we bought in 2013 so pushing 12 yrs , he is going back in with the heifers in a week. We used him and another we bought the following year specifically for heifers... the other one we just shipped due to a stifle injury.
We have one that is at least 9... bought him as a mature bull in 2015...... he got 29 of 31 preg... all 4-5 months...just preg checked 45 from 2 places, with the 2 opens being "toothless old cows".... and they have nice calves so did their job for us. He just went out with some confirmed preg cows for a summer off, lots of grass there.... then will go back with cows to breed in Nov/Dec... he never got a break last year, went from one group to another... 90% preg.... He is also a sweetheart... calm, quiet, walks right in the trailer, comes to a bucket... sure he is a bull and you always watch them... but I don't have to be "watchful" the way a snorty bull would make me wary.....
Have one bought in 2016, another in 2017, another bought in 2018.... then didn't buy any until 22.... because we had culled some from before we could buy "better" purebred bulls. We try to keep about 10 bulls around for the small pastures we rent and run 10-25 cows at the different ones and they need to be bred.
In between we had culled a couple for attitude, nice, decent, sometimes registered bulls we bought off other farmers that were switching out their bulls....

We do not cull for age... we cull for lack of passing BSE, or for bad legs or injuries, or for attitude...
We buried our old Red Poll bull and he had settled a half dozen cows we put him in with for a second chance.... all bred and calved within 10 days of each other after he was gone... NEVER saw him breed a cow... but he was our #1 cleanup bull even after he was 13... and found him dead one morning.... in the lot with some older bred pet cows... just laid down and went by the looks of it... Okay, not economical... but he deserved to not get run through a stockyards and hauled around on a truck... we do normally sell our bulls before they die....

If all is in working order... I'd buy and use him.

I'd suck it and see. I'd be keeping a close eye on what he is doing, writing down dates he is with the cows and checking again in 21 days. If you are proactive and on top of things you can know if it is going well before too much damage is done.

Ken

I have ran them to 13 before as long as his teeth and feet hold up.
That was on a moderate framed bull. Usually they become their on worst enemy with weight and age breaking down feet.
That was on 37 cows.

I wouldn't buy one!!!
A bad cow hurts a bad bull is a disaster!!
The one mentioned above was purchased as a yearling, I knew his history and he had never been off this place.

Year round breeding or 40-60 day breeding window . If it's spread out he can probably do it . If you're on a short breeding window he may have more than he can cover .

Year round breeding or 40-60 day breeding window . If it's spread out he can probably do it . If you're on a short breeding window he may have more than he can cover .
Would be shooting for a 2 to 3 cycle season yes. Group of 25 and maybe another group of 10 heifers. They're all kept tight together which should help him out a bit.

Everything will be open and cycling when he meets them.

Better than decent conformation, moves fine, BSE good... a long as he likes girls you're in.

Seems a little small for age. Hard to say in pics. What does he weigh?
Owner estimating him between 1800-2000 pounds. Said he's so wide he's afraid to get him in the chute and get him stuck. I have been trying to decrease our cow size a bit so I'm good with that.

Agree if he passes a BSE and is sound should work in a short term deal. But if it was me I wouldn't want to deal with an old bull set in his ways that doesn't know me. I'd pony up the cash grab the wheel and roll them tires to where a bull is, that's ready for the long haul. We're all different and at different points in our life.
You make a good point about him being set in his ways.

I have also inquired with a couple MG people to see what they've got on deck if anything. I'd much rather buy a younger bull unless they're priced out of my range, which all bulls are high right now I think.

I'd entertain something else if it checked the same boxes. Looking for grass genetics, moderate frame, and a certain phenotype... short, wide, and long. Would rather get away from black hides.

What kind of steers and how much would they weigh? How much to just out right buy him?