2 down / 9 to go

Help Support CattleToday:

Southernized name for flatheads: "The flathead catfish is also known as the yellow cat, mud cat, Johnnie cat, goujon, appaluchion, opelousas,[3][4] pied cat and Mississippi cat.[5] In dialect of the Ozark mountains it may be referred to as a "granny cat."[6]"

I'll be honest, I learned something today, because my dumb azz just never thought about maybe that name being something localized and I've been walking around for not just a few years wondering why so few people who aren't from my neck of the woods have heard of an appy catfish.

It's noodling, and I'll fight you on this one for one reason: Hannah Barron.

She's from Alabama, she's a world class noodler, hunter, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and she's my only celebrity crush. Look at her. Do you look like this, BFE? Unless you do, I'm going with whatever the hell she says it's called.

Don't ask why I have so many pictures of her saved.

View attachment 28498View attachment 28499View attachment 28500View attachment 28501
Oh my goodness

My girls have to the end of May . Think most will calve by the end of April.
Same here. Calving started out full guns then nuthin' for the past week. I think it's due to the freakishly early 100+ heat & epic drought not long after I turned out the bulls. Just too dang hot for either the bulls or my cows to get down to business. I only have 11 left and I suspect it'll be here & there.

Same here. Calving started out full guns then nuthin' for the past week. I think it's due to the freakishly early 100+ heat & epic drought not long after I turned out the bulls. Just too dang hot for either the bulls or my cows to get down to business. I only have 11 left and I suspect it'll be here & there.
I talk to my cows all through the spring. Ground rules are if you don't have a calf by May 1 you get to wear rollerskates to the Salebarn. I don't have many, but I do have replacements, I lease my bull and I keep my Feed bill down?

Tell him I said Great Job! What did he catchy them on?
Ultralight rods and reels , using crappie jigs with safety pin spinners . Oldest one caught 5 and little man caught 3 . Paw Paw is in charge of getting them on and taking them off the hook. So I don't get credit for catching any officially. The oldest caught some of them without assistance . 3 year old isn't afraid to touch them but still working on 5 year old . He released a couple he caught . And we saw a banded water snake which was our second snake to see today . Think we caught 5 bass and 3 bream .

Another heifer calved but we had to pull this one . Not a hard pull , average size calf but legs were a little twisted. Live calf , a heifer . 2 more close . Almost didn't check them this afternoon . Grandson was having a birthday dinner at the local Mexican restaurant. My spider senses told me I better check ! Pics tomorrow.

Went back at bedtime, she had moved the calf . The lot is a muddy quagmire. I was wearing calves in it and had to let them in the front pasture to get her in the head catch . Afraid the weaned calves were pestering her but she was being a good momma. I picked the calf up . It's bigger than I thought. Probably around 80 lbs

Next heifer calved this morning , found her before I left for Sunday School and church. Just beginning in labor . Not sure how well I listened thinking about if she had delivered.

7down 4 to go . Amazed at the 2 mottled faced heifers . 1/2 Hereford, 1/2 angus . Really expected 2 solid black calves .

How is the mottled face calf 1/2 and 1/2 when her mom is also black mottled faced?
Are you using a 50/50 crossbred bull?
No sir I got interrupted and now it won't let me edit . The calves are out of a registered angus bull so 3/4 angus , 1/4 Hereford. Sorry I didn't finish! I have a 6 yr and 3 yr old grandsons and we are playing a new board game .