One down 5 to go.

Help Support CattleToday:

Heifers will make your hair turn gray.
True.
But somebody has to do it
Yes sir had 11 this year and fixing to breed 19 . Some folks are gluttons for punishment. 🤠
a breeder sold these at the local barn.
We decided to take a chance on them for $1,160.00 each.
I went back the next week and they had some open heifers like these ready to put a bull on , they brought from 12-$1,300.

With the right bull it's a lot easier . The only stress is what I put on myself . Checking multiple times a day . I don't have a vet that will do farm calls if I have trouble. Luckily only had 1 this time . Not a hard pull but I had to get the local cowboy come help us .
The guy said calves shouldn't be over 65 lbs. so far so good.
These heifers are on grass, mineral and salt blocks, no feed.

People act like calving heifers is the biggest obstacle since the Red Sea, but it is so much easier to fix a young trainwreck than an old one.
Agree to disagree...

200 heifers bred to unknown bulls is likely 25%, or more, going to need assistance and probably lose some.

200 old cows bred to unknown bulls is likely to have 200 live births with no assists unless malpresentation. And the old cows won't refuse their calves.

The downside of old cows is large teats that need to be milked out one time, maybe, and they might stomp on you a little when you handle their newborn. Heifers just run off and leave.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree...

200 heifers bred to unknown bulls is likely 25%, or more, going to need assistance and probably lose some.

200 old cows bred to unknown bulls is likely to have 200 live births with no assists unless malpresentation. And the old cows won't refuse their calves.

The downside of old cows is large teats that need to be milked out one time, maybe, and they might stomp on you a little when you handle their newborn. Heifers just run off and leave.
Now, I'll definitely go with you about those unknown bulls, that's a real hit or miss right there.

Now, I'll definitely go with you about those unknown bulls, that's a real hit or miss right there.
These heifers were advertised bred to angus bulls, 65-70 lb BW.
We bought a cross bred heifer from an acquaintance that was bred to a char x bull, she had her calve the same day, no problems.
If you got something, you can lose something, that's what grandpa always said.

My son called me this morning, one of the angus heifers had a still born this morning.
I know I am going to get heck for this, but you should check the bite on the dead calf. If it has an underbite, it was likely exposed to one or all three of the most used highly teratogenic (birth defect causing) pesticides (according to recent studies). Those three teratogenic pesticides are Glyphosate-based Herbicides, the insecticide, imidacloprid and the fungicide, Chlorothalonil. Exposure to all three is quite damaging to ungulate fetuses, and according to other recent studies to human fetuses.

Latest posts