One or Two?

Help Support CattleToday:

How's the calf doing ?
Well not real well but could be worse. He can get up but I can't get him to suck from the cow or even a bottle for that matter so I've been tube feeding him. His front legs aren't fully straightened so that's hindering him a bit. Keeps stumbling around and ending up in weird places. Any suggestions what a guy can do to get him going? I've fed him quite a bit but tomorrow I might delay feeding him till he's more hungry and hope that gets him up to at the very least take a bottle. Was pretty funny this morning seeing the calf beside my wife. He was born about same weight as her but is probably past her already.

You may want to try the Madigan Squeeze for the possible "dummy calf" syndrome and contracted tendons usually straighten out in a few days but there's always the option of splints to help in more severe cases.

Link below to the Madigan Squeeze and there are tons of videos online. Hello, Google!

Well yesterday I had to go pick up a pull type sprayer from other side of the province. Didn't have time to deal with the calf. Showed some potential in the morning so I just left it and hoped it got hungry enough on its own to get some milk. Cow was being a little special the other day so we put hobbles on her. So we left for the sprayer. Hoped to get back with a little daylight but a flat tire on the way home set us back. Got back in the dark and got out to check cows and this pair. Started to move the cow in but she was being a little difficult in the dark and calf was moving around pretty good and then suddenly he went in for a snack. Such a relief. Looks like this pair is on the upward trend. IMG_0431.jpeg

Well yesterday I had to go pick up a pull type sprayer from other side of the province. Didn't have time to deal with the calf. Showed some potential in the morning so I just left it and hoped it got hungry enough on its own to get some milk. Cow was being a little special the other day so we put hobbles on her. So we left for the sprayer. Hoped to get back with a little daylight but a flat tire on the way home set us back. Got back in the dark and got out to check cows and this pair. Started to move the cow in but she was being a little difficult in the dark and calf was moving around pretty good and then suddenly he went in for a snack. Such a relief. Looks like this pair is on the upward trend. View attachment 43637
He is impressive, and the cow is in good shape (y)

Well yesterday I had to go pick up a pull type sprayer from other side of the province. Didn't have time to deal with the calf. Showed some potential in the morning so I just left it and hoped it got hungry enough on its own to get some milk. Cow was being a little special the other day so we put hobbles on her. So we left for the sprayer. Hoped to get back with a little daylight but a flat tire on the way home set us back. Got back in the dark and got out to check cows and this pair. Started to move the cow in but she was being a little difficult in the dark and calf was moving around pretty good and then suddenly he went in for a snack. Such a relief. Looks like this pair is on the upward trend. View attachment 43637
Always a good feeling !

Latest posts