Two calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
These two are scheduled to leave tomorrow so I wanted a side by side picture. They didn't cooperate real well. They both came here in mid August. The one on the left was out of one of B's older cows. The one on the right is out of one of his registered cows and very possibly an AI calf. They were approximately the same size and age when they arrived here. The one on the right got missed and left behind when the registered herd got moved away about 10 miles. She was on her own for about 10 days and was very sick when she came here. Just a couple days short of death. A big blast of Draxxin brought her through. The one on the left has been healthy the entire time and is an F-1 Wagyu. They have been together and eating the same feed since about one week after their arrival. I don't know how well the picture shows it but the purebred Angus heifer is 100 pounds heavier than the F-1 Wagyu.

PC223156.JPGPC223156.JPGPC223155.JPG

Attachments

• PC223155.JPG
    PC223155.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 5
That smaller calf is pretty nasty behind...makes me wonder if her debilitated state, associated with her respiratory disease didn't also set the stage for some significant GI tract damage due to coccidia.

That smaller calf is pretty nasty behind...makes me wonder if her debilitated state, associated with her respiratory disease didn't also set the stage for some significant GI tract damage due to coccidia.
It isn't all that nasty in person. They are eating hay in the picture but they also have about 10 acres of field with some fairly good stock pile in places. In person it just looks like she found some good green grass out there. She is not the one who was sick. It is the bigger one who was sick. Recovered and is growing just fine.

We have found that our percentage Wagyu growth is heavily tied to the lineage. Depending on what prefature the cattle originated from has a lot to do with their genetics. We have some that won't break 1200 lb and have others that exceed 1500 lb. But overall we've not seen any Wagyu that puts on pounds as quick as Angus. Akaushi Wagyu comes pretty close as far as size and growth but still slower than Angus.

The only two Angus/Wagyu calves we have are built a LOT like the one in the pics. They are a good 3 months now. However, it sure seems like they eat as much, OR MORE, than the Angus calves same age. The calves can get into a "calf shed", and have access to hay anytime they want. The WagyuX calves have no problem leaving the group and coming clear up to the calf shed to eat. Had some nice soft alfalfa with the orchard grass, but had to take the alfalfa out, the WagyuX were STUFFING themselves (dirty butts+). A very limited test group, but seems they 'live to eat', but look like they just grow legs. Conversion rate?? Very interesting creatures!

Latest posts