Premature calves

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbreed

Reaction score
Well calving season she's not off to a good start. First two calves have been born early and neither survived. Both look early third trimester, fully formed, hair just started and weighed about 30 pounds so I may be off on my trimester. Not a good start to the season and I am talking to some other cattlemen around here if they would suspect anything in the area like this. Have not brought any cattle in same place, and diet is the same as every other year with triticale hay, liquid feed and cubes twice weekly. Any thoughts, anyone?

Lepto. It doesn't have to come from new cattle. It can come from hogs, deer dogs and other varmints. Since our cows get in a pond, they can get it from there.
I had one in late summer and another one a few weeks ago. The calf in late summer was fully developed but only the size of a poodle. The one a few weeks ago was the correct size for age but had no hair. Neither cow bagged up or showed any sign of being ready to calve. I gathered that carcass and pulled a blood sample from the cow and took them to a vet who sent them to get tested. The cow tested positive for Lepto even though she had been vaccinated for it. I have had about 30 live healthy calves between the first and the second but it is present in my herd.
Surprisingly the testing was done at Texas A & M was not very expensive. My total bill was less than $150.

Last edited:
Well calving season she's not off to a good start. First two calves have been born early and neither survived. Both look early third trimester, fully formed, hair just started and weighed about 30 pounds so I may be off on my trimester. Not a good start to the season and I am talking to some other cattlemen around here if they would suspect anything in the area like this. Have not brought any cattle in same place, and diet is the same as every other year with triticale hay, liquid feed and cubes twice weekly. Any thoughts, anyone?
Moldy hay?

Lepto. It doesn't have to come from new cattle. It can come from hogs, deer dogs and other varmints. Since our cows get in a pond, they can get it from there.
I had one in late summer and another one a few weeks ago. The calf in late summer was fully developed but only the size of a poodle. The one a few weeks ago was the correct size for age but had no hair. Neither cow bagged up or showed any sign of being ready to calve. I gathered that carcass and pulled a blood sample from the cow and took them to a vet who sent them to get tested. The cow tested positive for Lepto even though she had been vaccinated for it. I have had about 30 live healthy calves between the first and the second but it is present in my herd.
Surprisingly the testing was done at Texas A & M was not very expensive. My total bill was less than $150.
Timing also bad, bull was turned in first week of May so they are all showing signs, a little bagging, and the normal dilation. I have a call into my vet and I bagged up the calf.

Here in western KY, with that presentation, Neospora would be Candidate #1, 2, and maybe #3. Lots of coyotes and roaming dogs.
Over 25 years in the diagnostic lab here, I could count on one hand the number of confirmed Lepto abortions I saw. But... feral hogs are not (yet) a significant issue here in the western half of the state. In 30 years, I only saw one IBR abortion that was not vaccine-related. Have only seen photos of fungal abortion due to consumption of moldy hay - never saw one in person - and I'm sure that there's plenty of moldy hay fed here.

If you're going to pursue diagnostics, fetus, PLACENTA, and paired (acute & convalescent) maternal serum samples can be helpful. If I had to choose only one, I prefer placenta.
But... over time, definitive diagnosis rate on most abortion/stillbirth cases is distressingly low - 25% or less... but we can 'rule out' the things that the producer can do something about.

A positive Lepto titer to one or more serovars in a vaccinated cow is to be expected. A single (acute) sample is of little significance in a vaccinated cow - but if you pull a convalescent sample 3 weeks or so later, antibody levels may be higher or lower, giving a better inclination as to whether a particular Lepto serovar was actually involved. If titer levels stay the same... it's probably just a vaccine-induced titer.
Lepto hardjo-bovis (HB on your vaccine/bacterin bottle), which is the 'cattle-adapted' strain (cattle are the source/carriers) primarily causes early embryonic death... cows go through 3, 4 or more cycles, conceiving and then aborting the embryo, before they finally 'stick'. Mid-to-late term Lepto abortions will generally be due to one of the other Lepto strains, and infected cows will not be persistently infected 'carriers' like those infected with hardjo-bovis.

Lepto hardjo-bovis (HB on your vaccine/bacterin bottle), which is the 'cattle-adapted' strain (cattle are the source/carriers) primarily causes early embryonic death... cows go through 3, 4 or more cycles, conceiving and then aborting the embryo, before they finally 'stick'. Mid-to-late term Lepto abortions will generally be due to one of the other Lepto strains, and infected cows will not be persistently infected 'carriers' like those infected with hardjo-bovis.
Lucky P, My cow was positive for Lepto, Pomona Titer value 3200. Thoughts on that?

Latest posts