Summer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

They do fine even in this heat if the cows are in good shape and they have easy access to water and shade. One thing about calving in 100 degree weather, you don't have wild swings in temperature that give calves fits in the fall.
They are in real good shape, there's plenty of water and plenty of shade along with mineral and salt licks, plus we still have lots of grass on that place.
That red one will eat cubes out of your hand and we can pet all over her.
We had a Hereford, charolais and a brangus bull on these cows.

Lookin good! Hope the rest go without an issue for you.
Thanks.
Me too this is the worst year we ever had, losing calves, we have full time jobs and it's hard to keep a constant watch on them.
I think we lost 3-4 to coyotes, the cows would bunch up in a tight group for a couple of days after we lost a calf, I think it was because of the coyotes getting a calf.

Thanks.
Me too this is the worst year we ever had, losing calves, we have full time jobs and it's hard to keep a constant watch on them.
I think we lost 3-4 to coyotes, the cows would bunch up in a tight group for a couple of days after we lost a calf, I think it was because of the coyotes getting a calf.
Coyotes have been getting more bold here. TN wildlife issued a notice a couple weeks back about a lot more daytime activity with them. Becoming very very populated.

Next thing to die here will be coyote bait.

Coyotes have been getting more bold here. TN wildlife issued a notice a couple weeks back about a lot more daytime activity with them. Becoming very very populated.

Next thing to die here will be coyote bait.
The puppies are requiring lots more groceries that's normal activity here.
They have mom and dad hunting their butts off to feed them.
Now and February breeding season is the best time to call here

We calve in Summer. Never really had an issue until 2 years ago. A few week old calf seemed real lazy. After a day or so I checked him out and thousands of maggots all over him going in and out of his skin. Thought he was a gonner but dumped on Ivermectin and he pulled through. Only time we ever had fly strike but something to be mindful of.

Latest posts