Help with a Border Collie Cow dog name

Help Support CattleToday:

Ozhorse

Reaction score
I was given a young short hair Border Collie bitch from very good cattle working lines. She is a tough little thing, quite vocal with a tendancy to want to scrap with other dogs and a ton of force on stock and very intense, with eye, but not at all sticky. She does not mind a good chew if they dont move enough either. She knows how to hold sheep together as well but getting her to stop wool classing may be a challenge.

I am absolutely,completely hopeless at naming anything, as a kid I had a dog named Doggy, a cat called Pussy, and a pet rat called ratsy.
OK, so I need help...

I just realised now I come to start working with her that the name she came with, and that I have called her for months, has the same vowel sounds as the vocal commands I will use at a distance (and I cant whistle loud).

I need a name that has as few sylables as possible.

I need to keep away from "A" and "E" (as in "back" "here" and "stay" and "sit" "steady")

"U" sounds are good,
"Oo" or O sounds could work too.

Thanks for your ideas

Short is good as their name gets called out over and over loudly while working them.

One does not want to be calling "Murgatroyd, Murgatroyd" over and over in front of the shearing team, one would loose bush cred.

Bo is a good name.

Ozhorse":1yxu32dw said:
Short is good as their name gets called out over and over loudly while working them.

One does not want to be calling "Murgatroyd, Murgatroyd" over and over in front of the shearing team, one would loose bush cred.

Bo is a good name.

Based on your criteria I don't think you can top Bo.

I had an Irish Setter named Boo. As retarded as he was he learned that name and never failed to respond to it....it doesn't sound like ANY commands and unlike Bo it doesn't sound like NO.

3waycross":1maa8liq said:
I had an Irish Setter named Boo. As retarded as he was he learned that name and never failed to respond to it....it doesn't sound like ANY commands and unlike Bo it doesn't sound like NO.
Or whoa. Had a springer named BO, did cause some problems at times. When she would hup and I would say her name she got confused because she was already stopped.

There are lots of possibilities such as Jake, Bob, Bill, or anything that is short and doesn't resemble a command.

Inadvertently we ended up with kat, kit, and Katie. Latest puppy started out as patch, tried to switch her to stacks, then she evolved to apatchy. Now she is just called apache, she is a savage.

I have one named Nada which means "nothing" in spanish. I went to look at a litter of pups and they had one little runt female that was already a firecracker. I asked the guy(a mexican) what he wanted for her and he said, "Nada" and gave her to me. :lol: She's a good dog to!

cow pollinater":32yf153h said:
I have one named Nada which means "nothing" in spanish. I went to look at a litter of pups and they had one little runt female that was already a firecracker. I asked the guy(a mexican) what he wanted for her and he said, "Nada" and gave her to me. :lol: She's a good dog to!

Great story.

Latest posts