Hang on tight

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":2uy7xkpn said:
I don't run a normal cow/calf operation, I do run cows, but I also feed calves, trade a lot of cattle, buy for several people, graze cows and some other things, but still I do make all my living from cattle and this past year even with what the market has done has been my best year ever.

We made more back grounding purchased calves last year than we did raising calves.
Could be stocker time after this thing bottoms.

shaz":3uai8ere said:
Brute 23":3uai8ere said:
I agree with yall 100%. Read my posts over the years where I talk about how poor of an investment cattle are. The most lucrative cattle investment is still sub parr.

Raise cattle because you enjoy it, raise cattle as a way to diversify after you have maxed out other options, but if it's the only investment you have... you are leaving dollars on the table. You can out earn cattle mowing lawns.

You should be comparing it to the stock market not a job where your profit is 100% minus the cost of gas.
You investment in the stock market IS your 100% profit reinvested or should be.

denvermartinfarms":qjq8rkl2 said:
Going back to the orginal topic. I have sold way to many 5wt calves for 60 and 80 cents not all that long ago, so today's 1.40$ and even down to a dollar or so if we get there doesn't bother me all that bad, but I never bought any 3000$ cows or got in to debt like some people have that we're counting on there calves bringing 1000 or 1200$ forever.

This time last year we had calves drop 60 or 70 cents in a few weeks and it's been rough ever since. I don't run a normal cow/calf operation, I do run cows, but I also feed calves, trade a lot of cattle, buy for several people, graze cows and some other things, but still I do make all my living from cattle and this past year even with what the market has done has been my best year ever.

Denver good to see you post
Stop in more often

denvermartinfarms":2xei6siz said:
Going back to the orginal topic. I have sold way to many 5wt calves for 60 and 80 cents not all that long ago, so today's 1.40$ and even down to a dollar or so if we get there doesn't bother me all that bad, but I never bought any 3000$ cows or got in to debt like some people have that we're counting on there calves bringing 1000 or 1200$ forever.

This time last year we had calves drop 60 or 70 cents in a few weeks and it's been rough ever since. I don't run a normal cow/calf operation, I do run cows, but I also feed calves, trade a lot of cattle, buy for several people, graze cows and some other things, but still I do make all my living from cattle and this past year even with what the market has done has been my best year ever.

I'm not complaining either. Might not make as much as I did these past few years year but I'm not planning on losing money. I do wonder about all those who paid over a $1 cwt for my six and eight calf heifers so they could get in the game and start making a killing like we were. I imagine it would suck to be them.

Fat market seems to be a little stronger
I don't know if Labor Day had any affect on inventories, but the feeder market doesn't seem to have rebounded as strong

Looks like we are moving a few exports
Cheap corn
Beef demand still seems strong
Everybody has a different idea on what's ahead but overall going in the winter and seasonal lows the market appears to be headed south

What price for your calves do you feel you have to receive in order to be profitable or get out ?

For me I feel like if 7-8wts get under a 1.00 I'll look at things real close

True Grit Farms":3ky131pn said:
I'm to old and broken down to waste my money on wine and women, so it might as well be cows. A dollar a pound is doable here, but not very pretty.

Doable. But barely. And not forever.

True Grit Farms":28r32n0w said:
And the only reason a $1.00 a pound is doable at all is because of the fuel prices.

Yep. And cheap interest rates. But both will soon change. I'm no financial guru but both of these are driving forces in the economy. I look for most all agricultural commodity prices to begin a slow increase in sync with oil prices and increasing interest rates. But who am I? Just my :2cents:

JMJ Farms":1nluly2q said:
True Grit Farms":1nluly2q said:
And the only reason a $1.00 a pound is doable at all is because of the fuel prices.

Yep. And cheap interest rates. But both will soon change. I'm no financial guru but both of these are driving forces in the economy. I look for most all agricultural commodity prices to begin a slow increase in sync with oil prices and increasing interest rates. But who am I? Just my :2cents:

Low commodity prices have put a real strain on the Ag economy. A turn around in commodities would be a lifesaver

Cross-7":lpx2qff6 said:
JMJ Farms":lpx2qff6 said:
True Grit Farms":lpx2qff6 said:

Low commodity prices have put a real strain on the Ag economy. A turn around in commodities would be a lifesaver

I believe they will Cross. Every so often there has to be a "culling" process. Only the strong are able to survive.

Sat at the stockyards for 3 hours yesterday to watch steers sell. They didn't start til 3:45 pm instead of the usual 2pm because of so many in line waiting to unload. Anyway, the avg price on holstein steers was $.70 to $. 80 any size from 350 to 700 lbs. The beef steers were in the $1.15 to $1.45 range for anything up to 550-600 then they dropped a little after that. I did not stay and watch the heavier calves or the heifers or the pound /cull cows or slaughter bulls because I had gotten up at 1:00 a m to go test a dairy herd that thinks 2:15 is morning and a good time to start milking. There were some that were probably angus/hol cross that barely brought $1.00, but for the most part they were in the $1.20-$1.30 range on the 4-5wts and the real nice ones were in the $1.30 - $1.45 range. A little better than I was seeing from the previous 2 weeks. At $1.25 a 5wt steer is only bringing $625 and that is not alot when you figure what it costs to keep the brood cow and all the other related expenses. Still that's better than 500.... will be interesting to see what the heifers brought. I was just getting too tired after being up so long that I had to come home and crash.

Workinonit Farm":1tqkaul4 said:
farmerjan, which stockyard did you go to?
Staunton Union in Staunton VA is our closest and the one we usually patronize. There are alot of bveef buyers there, the commission is less than the ones in Harrisonburg, and it's a 1/2 hour from our two main rented farms. Been dealing with them for the 35 years I've lived in va although I have taken stuff to other ones.

farmerjan":175y2aoz said:
Workinonit Farm":175y2aoz said:
farmerjan, which stockyard did you go to?
Staunton Union in Staunton VA is our closest and the one we usually patronize. There are alot of bveef buyers there, the commission is less than the ones in Harrisonburg, and it's a 1/2 hour from our two main rented farms. Been dealing with them for the 35 years I've lived in va although I have taken stuff to other ones.

Ahhh, I see. Yes, I've heard good things about Staunton. My aunt & uncle used to take their cattle there, it was closer for them as they are in North Garden. I mainly use Madison, in Radiant. Been to Tucker's few times. Frankly, I'm surprised that the Charlottesville market is still there. I've gone there to watch, but never to sell.

er there.@workinonit : Have you ever gone to Spring Lake? I think it's near Lynchburg? Never went there but had friends that used to milk on a dairy near Big Island and they took their cull cows and some of the beef animals they also had, there. I'm pretty sure they are on Sat. I hear that they reorganized and that the prices there are usually pretty good for the seller. I used to test cows at Ben Thomas' farm in North Garden, just past the lumber mills , not far off rt. 29. They sold out the dairy cattle probably 10 years ago, I guess. Never been to the Charlottesville sale, one of these days would like to take a ride ov

Latest posts