Looking for suggestions on calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Some humor. I don't know if being a crony is good or bad and it is past my bedtime now. So, I will have to ponder that tomorrow when my mind is refreshed from a good sleep. An admission - I do carry a genetic defect - the burden of old age which will eventually prove to be lethal. The positive thing is that I know that issues about cows, breeds, genetics, marketing programs and such are not very important in the long run. :)

We played around in the club calf arena prior to 2008 and learned how to manage recessive defect carriers (TH and PHA). We tried to have clean cows and use the dirty bulls to raise a winner. Later on had a couple dirty cows and used clean bulls on them. In 2008 we decided to start putting together a registered Angus herd. That was about the same time the curly calf (AM) issue was published and water head (NH) was right behind. Steered clear of all cows that had 1680 in their pedigree and dodged those issues. Somehow have steered clear of fawn calf (CA) as well. Had several potentials and tested them and they were negative. I think I have a couple cows that are OH and M1 potential about 9 generations back and since those conditions aren't lethal, haven't tested to clear them, but probably should. Would be very surprised if they were carriers.

If you made that work for you, I admire your willingness to accept the risk, do your due diligence, and to deal with any consequences. What did you do with the calves that tested positive?

I don't know what you consider "out of the ordinary" concerning malformed calves... but I would consider one single malformed calf to be out of the ordinary.

Yup, and with no apologies. In fact I'm kind of proud of being a cattleman that realizes what the downsides are and isn't afraid to voice the realities. Your tall poppies are a source of "heroin" (metaphor) in the beef industry... and they don't have to be.
Bull calves became steers and were sold along with the heifers at our local weaner sale, backgrounders usually buy them but some heifers would probably have been bought as future breeders.
As for "out of the ordinary" most people would see something occaisionally like a Schistosoma reflexa calf or some other freak of nature, who knows one day a recessive gene may be found to cause these defects. In my small herd I have only seen a defective calf right at the beginning when I moved to the property and was putting together my herd, one was a very small calf born alive with no anus and a runt of a calf, these were definitely due to BVD and were probably PI's. I did do serology on the cows and I know BVD was active in the herd at that stage. All my calves have been healthy since. We also have Akabane virus here and rightly or wrongly it gets blamed for a lot of deformities in all breeds. My neighbour who has registered Simmentals has lost a couple of calves at birth from heifers or shortly after with deformities, she blames Akabane each time , I doubt it as I calve a good %age heifers each year with no problems spread by biting midges. I think it is from BVD as she has been buying heifers and cows from various states around Australia and may have unknowingly brought in a PI. I saw one of the affected calves and it looked very similar to photos I have seen of AM calves, restricted joint movement, it only survived a few days. Both Akabane and BVD can do that, my money is on BVD. She says that she vaccinates for BVD but is very sketchy on details, I doubt they are properly vaccinated.
Jeanne I do like most breeds of cattle, I say most as I have a bit of trouble looking at some of those double muscled ones that Lithuanian farmer likes but can appreciate that they work there. I like Charolais and Simmental. Charolais are doing a great job in the central and NW of our state. Jilleroo that used to post on CT has a great herd of Charolais and Charbray cattle in the NW of the state, she has been in prolonged drought for around 9 years and the cattle have stood up well for them. But I have been very happy with the job my Angus have done for me in my conditions. I think Brahman are the biggest breed by numbers in Australia mainly due to the suitability in the north on the extensive properties there. Angus is next and is the dominant breed in the south. Wagyu seems to be the big mover here and I think the Australian Wagyu genetics is respected the world over.

Ken

Some humor. I don't know if being a crony is good or bad and it is past my bedtime now. So, I will have to ponder that tomorrow when my mind is refreshed from a good sleep. An admission - I do carry a genetic defect - the burden of old age which will eventually prove to be lethal. The positive thing is that I know that issues about cows, breeds, genetics, marketing programs and such are not very important in the long run. :)
I think we all are carriers of that genetic defect, and it is dominant.

Well, I'm not going to try to change peoples views on things different people have different views on things, some people don't like kids playing on the floor unless it has been sterilized, myself I like kids playing in the dirt, it helps build their immunity. Some people like to clear everything out when something like this happens I myself actually knowingly bought registered cows that had tested as carriers for AM and NH at commercial prices when this first came about. They were cows that I would never have been able to afford otherwise. I bred them and tested all progeny and did very well getting clean heifers from them which has formed the nucleus of my herd today. My herd very rapidly was all free as carriers of any of these known genetic defects. I actually profited from the situation.
As to the loss for the commercial cattleman it has been very minimal, nothing like the massive losses that Travlr would have you believe. My friend had a registered herd of around registered 300 cows and a commercial herd of over 500 cows, probably around 2000 when you include his sons. He was a very heavy user of Precision, 036 and Future Direction genetics, all calves in the stud herd were weighed at birth, he used his home bred bulls in his commercial herd as well as the stud herd for clean up. Over several years there was not any calf losses out of the ordinary, yes an occaisional mal formed calf but no more than you would expect, a freak of nature, certainly nothing to raise alarm bells. His calving %ages were always in the upper 90's very similar to what they are today.
People like to demonise Angus, I guess it is the tall poppy syndrome, even within the breed the smaller breeders become critical of those at the top of the game, personally I see them as very astute cattleman and are always very approachable. Jeanne and her Simmental cronies see this as a wonderfull marketing opportunity, Travlr still can't get over his dislike of the Angus organisation for their CAAB programme.

Ken
I know some commercial folks that lost a lot of calves. It depends on the levels of stacking of the problem genetics and the random inheritance. But the registered cattle sold as commericals that you made money on is one example of loss. I had one, a very nice one, from a trial of some semen. I paid for the genetic testing, sent her to slaughter and threw out the semen. Never asked for reimbursement from anybody. And, those great cattlemen at the top, if you personally didn't try to get some of them to man up - they resisted. Money makes the mare trot. One officer told me that he was looking out for himself. Nice guy. And as a small producer that means he is righteous and I am biased. Nah-h-h!

Latest posts