First calves - advice needed

Help Support CattleToday:

MBFarmsTexas

Reaction score
Our 3 heifers are due next week and we are getting a ton of conflicting info on what we need to do:

Old ranchers basically say do nothing and they'll figure it out, some folks we know that own a feed store have given use a list of things a page long to have on hand.

We have some colostrum, bottoms, milk replacer, some electrolyte paste, and pulling chains(lord help us)

But beyond that any solid info? Anything help is appreciated.

You will have to decide what kind of operation you want to be, both are right. Keep in mind once you start pulling calves and doing all that you will always be doing that. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The other thing is even if you have every tool on the shelf, do you know how to use them? A phone number and relationship with a good vet or experienced neighbor might be a lot more useful. Learn from them when they come out and then if you feel confident get your own tools.

I have little experience (5 calves in so far...from cows not heifers) but I think you have more than enough 'stuff'. Let the animals do thier thing and have a friend who knows something on speed dial if something goes sideways. You'll do great.

Our 3 heifers are due next week and we are getting a ton of conflicting info on what we need to do:

Old ranchers basically say do nothing and they'll figure it out, some folks we know that own a feed store have given use a list of things a page long to have on hand.

We have some colostrum, bottoms, milk replacer, some electrolyte paste, and pulling chains(lord help us)

Let me guess, the feed store owner had everything on his list in stock.

Did you save your receipts ? If they all calve successfully I'd carry all that back . Chains are handy in case you need to assist but the other stuff only if you absolutely need them !

Couple questions... what breed/kind of heifers and what are they bred to ??? Is there a reason you are concerned about them having their calves?
How old are they? Sometimes very young heifers just don't get it as well as some that are a little older (24-30 months) and more mature...
The best thing is to be quiet and calm with them... know what a NORMAL birth presentation is... and to have them close enough to where if they have a problem, you can get them in to a headcatch/cattle chute / catch pen/stall..../so that if needed a vet or experienced neighbor can help them along... That means having them in a lot/pasture that is not the "back 40".... somewhere that you can check on them a few times a day if you are around...

Plus, that head catch/chute will be a life saver if the heifer is nervous/ flighty and you need to get the calf latched on the teat and the heifer is nervous and keeps backing up ... which they are trying to figure this out also... so you may have to catch her up and hold her still so the calf can get a start...
Mostly, they just do their thing, and you just have to watch them and let them figure it out... nature is amazing.

I agree with having a good working relationship with a vet or an experienced cattle neighbor...

One thing to have on hand-- to dip or spray new born calves navel cord Strong iodine (not grocery store strength iodine) from a vet. This is so they don't get navel ill infection from the dirt. It's gotten had to find, can't be shipped because it's hazardous. I use Vetericyn Supper 7 in a spray. Probably you can get it at feed stores.

I keep a couple of bags of powdered colostrum around because you never know what might happen and they have GOT TO get that colostrum within 2 hours of birth and again within 12 hours. Of course you need a calf bottle to feed it with.

Last edited:
Couple questions... what breed/kind of heifers and what are they bred to ??? Is there a reason you are concerned about them having their calves?
How old are they? Sometimes very young heifers just don't get it as well as some that are a little older (24-30 months) and more mature...
The best thing is to be quiet and calm with them... know what a NORMAL birth presentation is... and to have them close enough to where if they have a problem, you can get them in to a headcatch/cattle chute / catch pen/stall..../so that if needed a vet or experienced neighbor can help them along... That means having them in a lot/pasture that is not the "back 40".... somewhere that you can check on them a few times a day if you are around...

Plus, that head catch/chute will be a life saver if the heifer is nervous/ flighty and you need to get the calf latched on the teat and the heifer is nervous and keeps backing up ... which they are trying to figure this out also... so you may have to catch her up and hold her still so the calf can get a start...
Mostly, they just do their thing, and you just have to watch them and let them figure it out... nature is amazing.

I agree with having a good working relationship with a vet or an experienced cattle neighbor...
They're 2 year old wagyu angus cross and bred to an Angus bull with, I'm told, a history of easy calving.

Just trying to prepare for the worst but hoping for the best.

One thing to have on hand-- to dip or spray new born calves navel cord Strong iodine (not grocery store strength iodine) from a vet. This is so they don't get navel ill infection from the dirt. It's gotten had to find, can't be shipped because it's hazardous. I use Vetericyn Supper 7 in a spray. Probably you can get it at feed stores.

I keep a couple of bags of powdered colostrum around because you never know what might happen and they have GOT TO get that colostrum within 2 hours of birth and again within 12 hours. Of course you need a calf bottle to feed it with.
We got some Iodine from feed store, but will get a spray bottle as well. Thanks!

It all starts with choosing the right animals. If you have animals that are bred to be capable, stand back and watch, and don't interfere unless you have a malpresenting calf. Cows have been doing this successfully for a million years, give or take.

You can look at what's going on and learn how to identify problems early. The calf should present with the front two feet first, the toes up toward the tail of the cow... followed by the nose. With some experience you will learn if the calf is going to be huge or small by the size of the feet. Toes pointed down will be a breech birth and you want that to go fast because once the umbilical hits the air the calf starts to breath. Any kind of odd presentation of the feet will mean you have to help.

A lot of people advise giving the cow a half hour and if no progress pull the calf. Personally I think that's pretty quick. And humans hovering close to the cow will make her nervous and often delay birth. Binoculars are better than intruding on a cow doing her job. But it's really nice to have a good catch facility with a good chute and headgate just in case.

I've had very few problems with calving issues and don't expect trouble. From my own observations people hovering produce their own expectations.

Latest posts