Slam Cam Catches on Gate Panels

Help Support CattleToday:

flywire

Reaction score
I'm thinking of through gate 3/4" cam catches above the middle panel without a chain.

What is the best way of setting up cam catches on 4.5" oval rail 2" rhs panel gates?
  1. Middle or second from top rail
  2. Above or below
  3. Through gate or beside
Do beef cattle bump cam catches open? Any striker issues? Other comments?
1313ab_f600c1ec3e8340a78e79ecd5ed4478c9~mv2_d_1440_1440_s_2[1].jpg

Your posts need to be substantial so that there is no flex to pop the latch. My crush has slam latches on all the doors and gates and they are very secure but then the frame is rigid made from 65mm SHS.

Ken

Thanks Ken. The crush won't be like this and the panels are pre-fab. I wouldn't expect the posts to get the sort of pressure a crush gets. The pound area is an octagon with an adjacent fence joining each corner latch post (ie 3-way corner). The yard posts have a 3-way join on the hinge end with a straight fence on the latch side.

I need to specify the catch. The main message I take is to make sure the latch post is secure, and the latches well seated when they are closed. I've seen 'v' shaped striker plates on the face and deeper hex shaped striker plates which attach around and each side of the latch post face. The deeper design is probably to ensure it is seated deeper because of the issue you mentioned. If required, permanent posts can be installed beside the gate posts (ie a semi permanent 2" post each side of a permanent 2" post).

Ultimately the depth of travel is determined by the cam length.

Slams are great until something jumps on the gate and springs it.
Our sale barn has them too. Half of the gates you have to lift to get the latch to line up.

Thanks Ken. The crush won't be like this and the panels are pre-fab. I wouldn't expect the posts to get the sort of pressure a crush gets. The pound area is an octagon with an adjacent fence joining each corner latch post (ie 3-way corner). The yard posts have a 3-way join on the hinge end with a straight fence on the latch side.

I need to specify the catch. The main message I take is to make sure the latch post is secure, and the latches well seated when they are closed. I've seen 'v' shaped striker plates on the face and deeper hex shaped striker plates which attach around and each side of the latch post face. The deeper design is probably to ensure it is seated deeper because of the issue you mentioned. If required, permanent posts can be installed beside the gate posts (ie a semi permanent 2" post each side of a permanent 2" post).

Ultimately the depth of travel is determined by the cam length.
Are you from Australia? You seem to know what a crush is and you seem to have cattle rail.

Ken

Latest posts