Head Gate size

Help Support CattleToday:

DNelson

Reaction score
I purchase da used head gate. seems a little small. its clearance is 54 inches high and 27 inches wide opened. is this size for calves or will cows make it through the opening in your opinion? IMG_2569.JPG

Most cows will be fine. Bulls may be a different story. I spent two hours one lovely afternoon disassembling one trying to get my bull out it. Luckily he was pretty good natured about the whole ordeal. Maybe he realized he was in a pickle and I was his only chance to get out of it? That was the last saloon door type headgate I will ever own.

Most cows will be fine. Bulls may be a different story. I spent two hours one lovely afternoon disassembling one trying to get my bull out it. Luckily he was pretty good natured about the whole ordeal. Maybe he realized he was in a pickle and I was his only chance to get out of it? That was the last saloon door type headgate I will ever own.
what style did you get instead?

I have a Priefert but I won't put my older big bulls through it either. https://nrsworld.com/products/priefert-model-91-headgate

I learned my lesson with the bulls. I get my worming and anything else done at the vet when they get a breeding soundness exam. If I feel they just need wormed I use a safeguard wormer that goes in their feed. Priefert chutes and headgates are easy to use and well designed but they could be a few inches bigger in width, length and height. I have no problem with my cows but then I don't have any of those 1800 lb plus ones that some folks prefer. I weighed one in it that went 1580 this spring with no problem. She was going to the sale. Big cows don't work on my grass challenged place so the Priefert is fine for me.

Latest posts