Calf freak out on tubing

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
We had a big bull calf born today with a dodgy front leg so he's a bit wobbly standing and his mum has a low udder ( she's on the cull list) so I'm sure he hadn't fed so I tubed him twice today with 1l colostrum. Thing is he completely freaked out whilst doing this as if I was pouring hot magma into him or electrocuting him or something, to the point where he flopped on his side and the tube got ripped out of his throat. I was gentle and I'm pretty sure it was in his oesphegus as there was no resistance when inserting the tube. Why do some calves do this?

It's not a natural instinct for a calf to have an object stuck down it's throat so it is a natural response to resist. A strong health calf will resist more than a sick/weak calf so congrads on a otherwise healthy calf. did you try to bottle feed him first before tubing him? he may have had a more natural response to the bottle. new born calves can sometimes surprise you and nurse when you think no way so just maybe he nursed. good luck with him and hope his leg gets better.

It's not a natural instinct for a calf to have an object stuck down it's throat so it is a natural response to resist. A strong health calf will resist more than a sick/weak calf so congrads on a otherwise healthy calf. did you try to bottle feed him first before tubing him? he may have had a more natural response to the bottle. new born calves can sometimes surprise you and nurse when you think no way so just maybe he nursed. good luck with him and hope his leg gets better.
Yes I tried the bottle first sucking reflex was weak almost non existent and like I said he was wobbly and barely able to stand but a bit better now

My guess is you didn't get it down his esophagus. Or, did you check the ball of the tuber to make sure it's smooth with no previous bite marks? Anything rough will hurt! And personally, I've never had one resist too much because either they're hungry or too sick to fight it.
The bal seems ok but it's getting a bit rough on the bit behind the ball I'll give it a sanding

Attachments

• IMG_20231108_073631347.jpg
    IMG_20231108_073631347.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
I've tube fed quite a few calves, what you describe happens sometimes.
Obviously they don't like the process and it's just their instinct to try and get it out and get away from the situation.
I've had a few do some wild thrashing around. I try to hold them as securely as possible to minimize that, but it still happens some.
I'm always careful when inserting the tube to make as sure as I can that it's going down right. Still I'm a bit nervous every time

This seems to be the time for my annual praise of the Trusti Tuber Oral Calf Feeder. The calf automatically grips the mouthpiece, so less struggle and the tube slides down easily. No bite marks on the tube or end piece. The bottle is vented, so no awkward squeezing. Plus, it comes with a nipple to use as a bottle feeder.
Amazon product ASIN B07ZV8XH62

Appears to be available here. $46

Latest posts