Butcher Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
All my life my family has kept butcher calves. They keep several in a little pasture and just grab one up as people in the family start running low. It gets divided between the uncles and one aunt and then they divide it amoung their kids (my cousins). These animals receive noting but grass and opportunity. It's not much for flavor but will keep a bunch of kids growing. 😄 It's always been ground meat and cutlets. I actually never had store bought beef until I went to college and forgot to haul some back with me.

Up until the last 5 years they did not even cut the bulls. They finally realized the advantages of not having intact bulls next to heifers on the property where they keep them. Baby steps.

A month or so ago I hauled a steer to the butcher for them. They had actually got him cut and my dad had fed him a good amount of corn based off some of the recipes yall have shared on here.

I have not eaten much of the meat in the last 10 years or more just because I always had fish and deer and other wild animals from hunting and did not really care for the lean taste. This calf though, I do have to say is pretty good. They actually opted to try steaks also. We have eaten both the steaks and the ground meat and it is noticeably better. It's been a long journey but just a little change has made all the difference. Every one was happy with the results.

They mostly have Beefmaster type cattle. The black comes from some Brangus bulls here and there. There are rumblings of maybe trying an Angus bull, but I'm not going to hold my breath. 😄

20240129_100539.jpg

Last edited:
Well we didn't go full Angus, but my dad gave the nod to a 3/4 Angus, 1/4 Brahman to try out.

The guy I have been buying Angus bulls from keeps a pretty good size herd of F1 Brangus cows. When he puts Angus bulls back on them he takes a small group of the 3/4 bulls and heifers and sells them.

I need to get a better picture of him but he was surprisingly clean for the 1/4 ear. It will be interesting to see how much carries to his calves.

20240405_113755.jpg

Last edited:
We steered our first one last fall, getting tired of ground meat! Was taking baby steps myself.... We will try to stuff some feed in him to harvest this fall to compare the finished product.

Nice beef pic there. Looks tasty enough.