Hang on tight

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":b4dlkg8k said:
TB they are a lot of little people trying to play the rich mans game and fooling themselves with welfare cattle.
The commercial cow man runs the industry not the the registered.

The commercial cow man spends his money just like the registered owner. Lots of folks want some registered cows (who knows why) and as a producer of registered stock I didn't care what they did with them as long as they paid my price. Most probably died at the packing house after raising a half dozen of those $500 calves y'all are talking about yet I could make that much off one cow "per year". Again....much more money in embryos than mature cattle and embryos don't eat. Registered operations always have more semen and embryos for sale than live cattle if they're really serious about it.

farmerjan":16d2u8pp said:
Brute 23":16d2u8pp said:
I agree with yall 100%. Read my posts over the years where I talk about how poor of an investment cattle are. The most lucrative cattle investment is still sub parr.

Raise cattle because you enjoy it, raise cattle as a way to diversify after you have maxed out other options, but if it's the only investment you have... you are leaving dollars on the table. You can out earn cattle mowing lawns.

Except I hate mowing lawns :yuck: :yuck: , I always say if you have so much grass to need much of a lawn mower then you need something to graze it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol2: spoken like a true cattleman

farmerjan":p961ok59 said:
Except I hate mowing lawns :yuck: :yuck: , I always say if you have so much grass to need much of a lawn mower then you need something to graze it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to graze oxen in our yard behind a hot wire. Wife didn;t care for the fresh fertilizer but the dog loved having all that neat stuff to roll in so close to the house

I really believe in buying things with money you have... not money you are going to make. It changes your whole perception.

We all talk to these guys that are up on the latest and greatest in cattle... this increases pounds... the saves money... this is what so and so does... why use your money when you can use some one else's... etc. They have it all figured out until it goes bad then they are the first ones to start crying. I want to talk about going fishing and chasing women. All they want to do is cry about weather and/or low prices... like they didn't know both were going coming. :) :bang:

Brute 23":3h8hd7xg said:
I really believe in buying things with money you have... not money you are going to make. It changes your whole perception.

We all talk to these guys that are up on the latest and greatest in cattle... this increases pounds... the saves money... this is what so and so does... why use your money when you can use some one else's... etc. They have it all figured out until it goes bad then they are the first ones to start crying. I want to talk about going fishing and chasing women. All they want to do is cry about weather and/or low prices... like they didn't know both were going coming. :) :bang:
Good post Brute...if your cattle operation makes you lay awake at night or wear out a paper and pencil sell out.....better yet don't get in. Now when do we go fishing and chasing them wimmens. :lol: :lol:

angus9259":z6ge1qg9 said:
dun":z6ge1qg9 said:
I'm starting to be happy we had 95% heifers this year instead of bulls.

Yeah - we're very very heifer heavy too. What do you plan with yours to offset this? Retain and hopefully sell as breds? Replace old cows?

First I tell the wife they are stockers ;-)
Then I make a big deal out of culling some old cows, and unload their replacements in a remote pasture. :cowboy:

Brute 23 said:
I'm just starting out, and we're super small, but the only thing I owe on is my trailer. Reason being is that it was a better option to buy a new trailer that I knew was solid than to buy used. Here, good used trailers are hard to find b/c they last forever and people use the heck out of them. Everyone animal on my place is paid for, down to the chickens.

Grocery store down the road has sirloin for a little over $3/lb this week. Ugh. No way can I get anywhere near that. I'd ask how the heck they do it, but I probably know a lot of the answer, and don't wanna know the rest....

boondocks":vufmo2zi said:
Grocery store down the road has sirloin for a little over $3/lb this week. Ugh. No way can I get anywhere near that. I'd ask how the heck they do it, but I probably know a lot of the answer, and don't wanna know the rest....

.60 weigh cows

This puts our problem in very understandable terms!

This rather brilliantly cuts thru all the political double speak we get.

It puts it into a much better perspective…..

Lesson # 1:

* U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
* Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
* New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
* National debt: $19,271,000,000,000
* Recent budget cuts: $ 38,500,000,000

Let's now remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:

* Annual family income: $21,700
* Money the family spent: $38,200
* New debt on the credit card: $16,500
* Outstanding balance on the credit card: $192,710
* Total budget cuts so far: $385

Got It ?????

OK now Lesson # 2:

Here's another way to look at the Debt Ceiling:

Let's say, You come home from work and find there has been a sewer
backup in your neighborhood....and your home has sewage all the way up
to your ceilings.

What do you think you should do ......

Raise the ceilings, or pump out the crap?

Central banks think low interest rates (on a lot of debt) is the quick fix. But there are problems as always with government meddling:
- savers have no income
- equities bubble up in price
- companies borrow money to pay off existing high interest debt, and buy back stock, rather than invest

So what have we gained?

bbirder":sf4h915u said:
This puts our problem in very understandable terms!

This rather brilliantly cuts thru all the political double speak we get.

It puts it into a much better perspective…..

Lesson # 1:

* U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
* Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
* New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
* National debt: $19,271,000,000,000
* Recent budget cuts: $ 38,500,000,000

Let's now remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:

* Annual family income: $21,700
* Money the family spent: $38,200
* New debt on the credit card: $16,500
* Outstanding balance on the credit card: $192,710
* Total budget cuts so far: $385

Got It ?????

OK now Lesson # 2:

Here's another way to look at the Debt Ceiling:

Let's say, You come home from work and find there has been a sewer
backup in your neighborhood....and your home has sewage all the way up
to your ceilings.

What do you think you should do ......

Raise the ceilings, or pump out the crap?

One of the best posts I've ever read.

Brute 23":3nwaykep said:
I agree with yall 100%. Read my posts over the years where I talk about how poor of an investment cattle are. The most lucrative cattle investment is still sub parr.

Raise cattle because you enjoy it, raise cattle as a way to diversify after you have maxed out other options, but if it's the only investment you have... you are leaving dollars on the table. You can out earn cattle mowing lawns.

You should be comparing it to the stock market not a job where your profit is 100% minus the cost of gas.

shaz":2vjxlbth said:
Brute 23":2vjxlbth said:

You should be comparing it to the stock market not a job where your profit is 100% minus the cost of gas.

That's not even fair to compare. The stock market will for sure beat cattle.

Going back to the orginal topic. I have sold way to many 5wt calves for 60 and 80 cents not all that long ago, so today's 1.40$ and even down to a dollar or so if we get there doesn't bother me all that bad, but I never bought any 3000$ cows or got in to debt like some people have that we're counting on there calves bringing 1000 or 1200$ forever.

This time last year we had calves drop 60 or 70 cents in a few weeks and it's been rough ever since. I don't run a normal cow/calf operation, I do run cows, but I also feed calves, trade a lot of cattle, buy for several people, graze cows and some other things, but still I do make all my living from cattle and this past year even with what the market has done has been my best year ever.

Latest posts