Hang on tight

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
The cattle market is taking a beating and we haven't hit the seasonal lows.

I'm hoping on a spring rally but not counting on it

The kicker is the unknown
Imports/exports and so on ...

There's still hope, we can make America great again. Mexican ribeyes for $6.00 lb retail, we can't compete with that. Maybe fuel will get back up to $4+ dollars a gallon and things will really get tight.

True Grit Farms":6x9j5tp7 said:
There's still hope, we can make America great again. Mexican ribeyes for $6.00 lb retail, we can't compete with that. Maybe fuel will get back up to $4+ dollars a gallon and things will really get tight.

I just can't raise em as cheap as they do. Then the consumer gets a hold of one of em, and their off beef for a while. Lose lose.

Bigfoot":283rlq4j said:
True Grit Farms":283rlq4j said:

I just can't raise em as cheap as they do. Then the consumer gets a hold of one of em, and their off beef for a while. Lose lose.

We can't do anything as cheap as they can . what we can do is not be hypocrites.
Make sure of the products you spend your money on. Make sure who you trade with employees. Make sure of who cuts your grass, who cooks the food at the restrraunts where you eat. Make sure who fixes your roof . make sure who builds your fence. Don't trade with anyone who gives our money or jobs to our competitors.. WE can make America great again

We can't do anything as cheap as they can . what we can do is not be hypocrites.
Make sure of the products you spend your money on. Make sure who you trade with employees. Make sure of who cuts your grass, who cooks the food at the restrraunts where you eat. Make sure who fixes your roof . make sure who builds your fence. Don't trade with anyone who gives our money or jobs to our competitors.. WE can make America great again

Good post. Where are you from? That sounds solid but ain't happening here and wouldn't want it different when I go to breakfast.

Kingfisher":2v1gudk9 said:

Good post. Where are you from? That sounds solid but ain't happening here and wouldn't want it different when I go to breakfast.

King I am from the florence/lampasas area and we are doing it. And we are calling out those that don't.

I've expressed my displeasure to NCBA about there stance against COOL. Sometimes I wonder who Colin is working for. But all in all, there a good deal for the cattlemen...maybe. I wonder if the NCBA is still against COOL? It's been almost 20 months now since COOL was defeated, and look at the way the prices have fallen. Maybe NCBA works for the buyers and importers and not the US cattlemen?

My understanding was COOL was a nafta deal only affecting North America(Canada and Mexico) and had no bearing on labeling from overseas.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Hey, it could be worse. A 500# calf could be bringing $500 like they were back when we got in, instead of $750 like they are right now.

For the record, NCBA lost all of my respect when they sided with the government on NAIS.

ricebeltrancher":2bk1hwt3 said:
Hey, it could be worse. A 500# calf could be bringing $500 like they were back when we got in, instead of $750 like they are right now.

For the record, NCBA lost all of my respect when they sided with the government on NAIS.

Been several 500 pound calves here bring close to $500 this week.

Were they good ones? That's about what black med/lg #1's are bringing around here.

ricebeltrancher":17zayzsn said:
Were they good ones? That's about what black med/lg #1's are bringing around here.

You can get a 500 pound heifer for not much over a dollar.

True Grit Farms":2bgwslwd said:
I've expressed my displeasure to NCBA about there stance against COOL. Sometimes I wonder who Colin is working for. But all in all, OOL? It's been almost 20 months now since COOL was defeated, and look at the way the prices have fallen. Maybe NCBA works for the buyers and importers and not the US cattlemen?

Excellent point.
If they will not make the consumer aware of where the foreign beef comes from.
Then maybe the American producer needs to pursue letting the consumer know that their beef is American. The angus producers have sure been successful in labeling their products. Maybe the American producers should take the same path.
Don't need any government intrusion to do that. If you have the quality product put it on the label.

Bigfoot":jug5ruq0 said:
ricebeltrancher":jug5ruq0 said:

Been several 500 pound calves here bring close to $500 this week.

I would be very proud to get 750 on 500 pound heifers right now

Latest posts