groove worn in shaft of my vermeer baler

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
was changing a wore out chain today getting ready to bale some hay hopefully around end of next week. and noticed a bearing was wore out, pulled the bearing off and the shaft had a groove wore into it. its the main lower drive roller on a 505 super I. what yall reckon a machine shop would charge to weld and turn it? might be just as well off to buy a new shaft but i hate to see price of it. just a 2in wide spot that would have to be fixed, but dont know how much trouble would be for them.

scf84":33mzmsf5 said:
was changing a wore out chain today getting ready to bale some hay hopefully around end of next week. and noticed a bearing was wore out, pulled the bearing off and the shaft had a groove wore into it. its the main lower drive roller on a 505 super I. what yall reckon a machine shop would charge to weld and turn it? might be just as well off to buy a new shaft but i hate to see price of it. just a 2in wide spot that would have to be fixed, but dont know how much trouble would be for them.
I had the same roller on a 505M built up and turned down as it was like that when I bought it used. The guy charged me $200. When you put it back together check and see if they have a greasable bearing and bracket it goes in when you put it back together and you will have no more problems (did that to the 505M). Also before you use it everyday take a can of penetrating oil and go over all the bearings you can see. After you get done at the end of the day take an infrared gun and go over all the bearings and if one is hotter than the others it want last much longer. Also I have the same baler as you. They are good balers. The roller is pretty easy to get out. Take the pressure off the belts, the brackets loose and bearings and it slides out the side. That new shaft my guess is around $500.

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Temperature- ... B00QYX6F5G