Greasing and PTO Shaft Guards

Help Support CattleToday:

Now that's a freak accident. Glad you're still in one piece, literally.

What kind of tractor? Most of my PTO levers/buttons take a fair amount of persuasion.
It's an old IH 664 the lever is back on the left side ..you can see the lever sticking up left hand side ,between the fender and seat1687955572476.jpeg

Last edited:
Had something happen yesterday, was unhooking bushhog ,and layed the adjustable arm pin on the fender..as i was reaching down too release the pto shaft..the pin rolled off the fender and hit the pto engagement lever.. I was In between tractor and hog. Blades turning right next to my feet .plus the thought of what could have happened if it's was a second later, with my hands on the pto coupling..
I'm in concrete construction, buddy of mine was washing up his concrete pump, cleaning the hopper. Pump was running and when he bent over to dig out some gravel he hit his remote control and cycled his pump. Cut his hand off at the wrist. Very gruesome event. Only takes a second.

I simply will not get out of the tractor seat if the pto is engaged. The only time that shaft is turning is when my butt is in the seat.
Sensible pto's are one of the biggest killers in farming and agriculture has one of the biggest accidents/ death rates of all sectors (in my country at least) more so than construction which has really improved its standards. I really think people should keep pto guards on. I did an awareness course aboyt ten years ago and the accident death rate was about 50/ yr so times that by six possibly to get the US figure.

Had something happen yesterday, was unhooking bushhog ,and layed the adjustable arm pin on the fender..as i was reaching down too release the pto shaft..the pin rolled off the fender and hit the pto engagement lever.. I was In between tractor and hog. Blades turning right next to my feet .plus the thought of what could have happened if it's was a second later, with my hands on the pto coupling..
That is bad luck. Hindsight is always 20/20 but that is why I turn the tractor off when I get off a lot of the time. Between the ag world and o&g I've just seen too many freak things like that. Most of the time I am/ was by myself in both applications and even with a freak accident, I would be lucky if some one gets to me in time. It has made me bordline paranoid.

As stated above, general industry has made big improvements in safety, deaths and injury in the last 50 years. Farmers and some other self employed folks still have room for improvement.

Best to never connect or disconnect a PTO shaft when the tractor is running. Some tractors engage the pto with an electrical rocker switch. Some with hydraulic or electro-hydraulic system. Any system with an electrical control is subject to unintended start. One millimeter of movement of the electrical contact may be all it takes. Or corrosion in switches or connectors.

Never walk or work under equipment held up by hydraulic cylinders and hoses. How old are those cylinders and hoses? Working under that equipment makes your life dependent on some old o-rings and rotten hoses.

A guy I grew up with went to work for a large local institution and became head of purchasing. Probably 10's or 100's of millions spent per year. He had a small farm as a hobby. He was very cheap. Evidently had a problem with his hay baler twine tying system. The twine tubes would not move. Just need to replace a part. Instead, he would get off the tractor with the PTO running, reach in and move the twine tube by hand. One day he did not come home from baling. Found with the tractor and baler still running. He was the second local guy I know that was killed by a running baler.

Industry teaches that all accidents are preventable. I never bought into the "ALL", but for sure many or most are self inflicted.

Between the ag world and o&g I've just seen too many freak things like that.
o&g=oil and gas..

Look at this OIME brand drilling rig from the late 70s/early 80s..built out in Midland/Odessa with three 3412 Cat engines for power.. it's selling point was quick rig up and rig down. Instead of diesel electric or scr or even a shielded chain and sprocket drive going up to the floor, it used a 6 or 8" diameter drive shaft and Ujoints going up to the floor to power the rotary and draworks. It came with a big guard over the drive shaft (yellow arrow) that covered every bit of it from right angle drive up to the draworks but if you look at the picture, the black and white arrow points to the exposed universal joint, meaning the guard was left off.
dr5a.jpg

That is bad luck. Hindsight is always 20/20 but that is why I turn the tractor off when I get off a lot of the time. Between the ag world and o&g I've just seen too many freak things like that. Most of the time I am/ was by myself in both applications and even with a freak accident, I would be lucky if some one gets to me in time. It has made me bordline paranoid.
Took for granted ,something I've done a hundreds of times unhooking and moving to another implement the spray rig..getting in a hurry before the wind picked up..

Took for granted ,something I've done a hundreds of times unhooking and moving to another implement the spray rig..getting in a hurry before the wind picked up..
We have all been there. We still have tractor we use for mainly hay now you have to start with starting fluid and probably jumper cables. It will start in gear too. No parking break. I hate it. It's been like that all my life.

o&g=oil and gas..

Look at this OIME brand drilling rig from the late 70s/early 80s..built out in Midland/Odessa with three 3412 Cat engines for power.. it's selling point was quick rig up and rig down. Instead of diesel electric or scr or even a shielded chain and sprocket drive going up to the floor, it used a 6 or 8" diameter drive shaft and Ujoints going up to the floor to power the rotary and draworks. It came with a big guard over the drive shaft (yellow arrow) that covered every bit of it from right angle drive up to the draworks but if you look at the picture, the black and white arrow points to the exposed universal joint, meaning the guard was left off.
View attachment 31857
People love to leave the belt guards off on pump jacks also.

We had great big ones on timers or pump off controls that would turn on and off on their own or could even be started remotely.

With new guys I could scare them enough tbonot go near the belts or weights. Some of the experienced guys who had been around gas ones and stuff had picked up bad habits already and they always made me nervous.

A friend's wife went to pick him up one morning and found him standing in his underwear in shock. His overalls and shirt were wrapped around the pto shaft on the baler. Just his brute strength saved him.

Man here back in May was spraying hay field, alway goes wide open..Hit a small sink hole that wasn't there last year, they said..front wheel like too have thrown him off ..back wheel went in and off he came..nearly got free when the rear tire grabbed his carhart jacket, the back tire literally chewed his left arm off above the elbow, as it was stuck still turning in the hole..flew him too UAB where they removed left arm, and repaired his crushed right hand, when he was trying to free himself..

WOW.

Ken

Man here back in May was spraying hay field, alway goes wide open..Hit a small sink hole that wasn't there last year, they said..front wheel like too have thrown him off ..back wheel went in and off he came..nearly got free when the rear tire grabbed his carhart jacket, the back tire literally chewed his left arm off above the elbow, as it was stuck still turning in the hole..flew him too UAB where they removed left arm, and repaired his crushed right hand, when he was trying to free himself..
We had a discussion on here about standing under a FEL a few years ago. A state trooper from this area was under one and a hose gave out and it fell and crushed him.

I try not to stand under loaders and always lower them when I kill the tractor. We do have to raise the loader on the skid sometimes to get in and out when working on or moving things and it always makes me a little nervous.

A good FEL hydraulic system has an orifice on the downside of the cylinders or at the control valve to slow the drop speed down but it won't help if a hose suddenly bursts.
If I had to work under a raised bucket, I put a 2x on one of the cylinders' exposed ram. My Case backhoe/loader combo had a steel arm that pivoted out and sat down on the cylinder so it COULDN'T fall.
(with the cylinder (1) extended the steel channel could pivot down onto the exposed ram with just the pull of a little hair pin on the upper end and the FEL could not fall)
480case.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts