No oil change for 10 years and 170 hours

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Found a low hour tractor like I want but still has original filters on it with 170 hours and a 2013 model. Would that scare you away?

They typically recommend the first oil change at 50 hours or something after break in. You sure they're original or not just OEM replacements?

Check foot pedal wear and tires as they should look like new. If the price is right 170 hours shouldn't be a problem. A lot of 2013 tractors are Tier 4 so it may have regen and DEF requirements.

Check foot pedal wear and tires as they should look like new. If the price is right 170 hours shouldn't be a problem. A lot of 2013 tractors are Tier 4 so it may have regen and DEF requirements.
Tires look great and lift arms still have paint on balls. No regen or def just egr.

Tires look great and lift arms still have paint on balls. No regen or def just egr.
The egr is regen which has the sensors, egr valve, computer board, particulate filter, etc. If 70 hp or under DEF is usually not required which is a lot easier to maintain.

Last edited:
it is not uncommon where I work to have a tractor with over 500 and sometimes 1000 hrs and original filters still on it and oil never changed. still runs and operates as it should. I would not do that with my own equipment but that tractor should be fine. drain the break-in oil out, change filters, add recommended oil, and enjoy your new purchase.

Found a low hour tractor like I want but still has original filters on it with 170 hours and a 2013 model. Would that scare you away?
I'd buy it as long as it starts and runs good.

I've bought a lot of vehicles that have sat for years and as long as they run good when started they have been just fine. I even bought one that had knocking/collapsed lifters(?) and ran it with the idea that I'd be replacing the engine anyway... so why not run it until it blew up? It had congealed oil/sludge in it. I don't believe the oil had ever been changed. Put a quart of ATF in the crankcase and changed the oil in 500 miles and the noise was less. Did it a couple more times and the engine was quiet. Ran that truck for two years and the engine was fine during that time. Sold it for a grand more than I paid for it.

The point being... if it runs good when you buy it it will probably be fine. But change the oil. It's time.

bigger question is why does it only have 170 hours on a ten year old tractor

My father in law has a 3 year old tractor with like 50 hours on it. He runs a brush hog a few hours a year and piles up some snow. Why? Can't answer that, but it's a situation that happens frequently.

bigger question is why does it only have 170 hours on a ten year old tractor
Was told the guy had several tractors and used it mostly on a pto generator. Truly never know. Paint still on the balls on the left arms.

Attachments

• GetPhoto (4).jpg
    GetPhoto (4).jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 38
  • GetPhoto (2).jpg
    GetPhoto (2).jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 36
  • GetPhoto (1).jpg
    GetPhoto (1).jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 37
  • GetPhoto.jpg
    GetPhoto.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 39
If you decide you don't want it, PM me... I am looking for a "smaller" 4wd tractor... might be worth the trip down there.
It's like my parents 2012 Explorer... had 48,000 original miles on it when father passed in 2021... has 54,000 on it now. I hardly drive it, too nice for the field... some little rust/ding spots in a couple places...(came from NH so some salt wear underneath, but inside is like new) looking to sell it since I also have his 1999 f250 V-10 pickup here... with only 175,000 miles on it (25 yrs old).... truck is more practical for me. Thought I'd like the explorer as a "good vehicle"... but like the truck better...
So, I get it with someone that has something they don't drive or use much....

If you decide you don't want it, PM me... I am looking for a "smaller" 4wd tractor... might be worth the trip down there.
It's like my parents 2012 Explorer... had 48,000 original miles on it when father passed in 2021... has 54,000 on it now. I hardly drive it, too nice for the field... some little rust/ding spots in a couple places...(came from NH so some salt wear underneath, but inside is like new) looking to sell it since I also have his 1999 f250 V-10 pickup here... with only 175,000 miles on it (25 yrs old).... truck is more practical for me. Thought I'd like the explorer as a "good vehicle"... but like the truck better...
So, I get it with someone that has something they don't drive or use much....
It is actually in Pennsylvania, I should have it bought. Trying to arrange transportation.

Was told the guy had several tractors and used it mostly on a pto generator. Truly never know. Paint still on the balls on the left arms.
Probably better in many ways than anything new. Easier to repair, less labor and expense involved in diagnostics, maybe even better quality. Certainly less complicated.

Latest posts