Ford 3.5 ecoboost with 10 spd auto

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
If I read the sticker vin right, it's 375/440ft lbs.
Reliable or no?
For me, it will see just Light driving. 4 door
Less than 100K. Appears well maintained. I had it up to 95 on a test drive (yesterday, wet road) and everything seemed to do fine.
Thoughts?

We have a 2013 with the ecoboost. It seems to have plenty of power for a half ton truck. We have pulled a 20' gooseneck stock trailer with it loaded with calves. We have not had any problems with the engine yet; I think it has about 130K on it.

Wife has an older version with the 6spd. My only complaint is they don't offer them in 3/4 ton trucks. It is a beast for power and torque. Oh and it is a b@#$& to change the oil in.

If I read the sticker vin right, it's 375/440ft lbs.
Reliable or no?
For me, it will see just Light driving. 4 door
Less than 100K. Appears well maintained. I had it up to 95 on a test drive (yesterday, wet road) and everything seemed to do fine.
Thoughts?
Son has that truck Ford has got that engine down IMO.
I bought a 23 2.7 eco boost 325 Hp and 375 lbs torque I've been impressed so far.

Good engine but I wouldn't want the 10 speed. Known to be problematic and there is a class action lawsuit against Ford because of it.

I have the exact same truck. Great fuel mileage. But the 3.5L is known for timing chain and phaser issues. You can look it up, very well known problem. Starts with a little rattle on cold start.

I have a 2012 2wd with 130k which has 6 speed. I also have a 2019 4wd with 31k miles and 10 speed tranny. I love them both; don't do a lot of trailering but either does a great job on a 16ft flat bed or a 14ft cattle trailer.
The 2012 has the cam phaser rattle but only after not being driven for a couple of days. If I use it daily, no rattle. It may be giving up a little on the MPG, but other than the first 5 seconds of rattle after starting it, no problem. It (still) has all the power I need from it. It is my second in command work truck; I have a 2001 f150 with a 5.4l, 4 speed and 248k miles on it. It will not die so I keep using it as my primary work truck.
The 2019 is my comfort truck. It has a switch for tranny modes and I try to always use ECO mode. Seems to get better mileage because it doesn't lean into the turbos as soon.
If you are just going to use it for driving and a little medium or less weight type trailering and the price is right, I'd say go for it. If you can test it by letting it sit for 2-4 days then start it and see if it rattles that would be a plus.
Hope this helps a little.

Yes, it rides and drives very smooth, as little as I've driven it. I do have to get the trim that goes over the top of the tailgate step. Missing, but there's an aftermarket one that is supposedly better than the flimsy one that came originally. $30 on Amazon.
It was tinted extremely dark on all windows except the windshield. So dark, that at night I could barely see the sideview mirrors or a headlight out the rear glass. Got almost all of it off, except the rear glass. I'm still healing from my surgery and not supposed to do any bending or twisting so it will have to wait or I find someone local to remove it. IMO, it was so dark I don't think it would pass by DPS.

Yes, it rides and drives very smooth, as little as I've driven it. I do have to get the trim that goes over the top of the tailgate step. Missing, but there's an aftermarket one that is supposedly better than the flimsy one that came originally. $30 on Amazon.
It was tinted extremely dark on all windows except the windshield. So dark, that at night I could barely see the sideview mirrors or a headlight out the rear glass. Got almost all of it off, except the rear glass. I'm still healing from my surgery and not supposed to do any bending or twisting so it will have to wait or I find someone local to remove it. IMO, it was so dark I don't think it would pass by DPS.
Nice truck and like you I hate that dark tint on windows.

The only thing I don't like about the Ford we have is it is awful noisy in the cab; can't hardly hear yourself think. Not going to put mud and snows on it next time.

@Atimm693

Do the 10 speeds need to be treated as the 6 speed as far as transmission servicing? As far as longevity is concerned...or what do ya say there?

I'd say so. They use an even thinner fluid (Mercon ULV vs LV in the 6 speeds), 150k is too long to go on any trans fluid, I wouldn't want to go more than 50k.

Servicing them looks to be the same as the 6 speeds with a stubby dipstick in the fill plug.

It's probably an okay truck, but you'll have to put on your big girl panties to drive it. Let us know how that goes. Pictures are required.

Latest posts