1/10 Acetylene withdrawal rule.

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
When cutting with an acetylene cutting torch. Manufacturers of acetylene torch equipment. Welding supply store's that sell acetylene & oxygen have what is called the 1/10 acetylene gas withdrawal rate rule.

The purpose of the rule is to avoid the possibility of the tank, gage's, hose exploding. Depending on the size of a acetylene bottle if it were to explode can create a fire ball 75 meters in diameter and throw shrapnel 200 meter's.

The 1/10 withdrawal rate/hour is easy enough to understand. You simply divide the acetylene tanks capacity by 10 to come up with how many cubic feet per hour that you are supposed to withdraw to avoid creating a voiltal or dangerous situation that can cause things like fire burning back through the hose's to the regulators at which point could melt the hoses or blow up the regulators. At which point should shut the gas off if the regulators explode but not always. Very possible the regulators don't stop the flame and then the bottle can explode.

There are other things that can happen but I am not going to go to the trouble of mentioning all of the other hazards because I have explained enough instances to get my point across of just how dangerous acetylene and oxygen bottles can be if you were to withdraw acetylene gas too fast and volume low enough to cause these things to happen.

I have looked and researched all over the internet to find out a missing part of being able to use this 1/10 rule withdrawal rate rule that is enforced by OSHA, PHIMSA and other other government agencies who enforce things like this 1/10 rule and another one called the 1/15 rule.

That missing part is the rate of flow that you are withdrawing the gas so that you can have an idea how much acetylene gas has been dispensed by the torch operator so that you don't exceed that 1/10 volume of gas per hour.

Does anyone know how to figure that ? The only way I can think of doing it and doubt this would work. Would be to weigh a full tank of acetylene, then dived that weight by 10 to get a ball park figure as to what 1/10 of the acetylene tanks volume would be. Which would be a lot of trouble because you would have to sit the acetylene bottle on scales, leave them that way, monitor the weight until either you have taken the 1/10 of acetylene gas or run out of the one hour time limit. And to do that you would have to use like a 145 cubic feet capacity bottle which I think is like a size 14 bottle and weighs around 150 lbs. next size up would be like a 350 cubic foot bottle that weighs around 350 #'s which would differently be too much trouble because of it's weight. Especially when there should be a mathematical solution to figure out the flow rate.

This is a lot of trouble to try and figure out. But it might be more trouble if a person was to blow themselves up. If you don't need to cut very thick metal very often you would probably never be in a situation to need to know this stuff. But if you are possibly going to be cutting a lot of 1/2 inch metal and bigger. Or use a rose bud very much things like that were you use al lot of acetylene fast. That 1/10 rule and 1/15 rules would be nice to know.

I am not sure who figured out these 1/10 and 1/15 rules. Know I said places that sell acetylene and welding stores came up with these rules but I don't think they did. I have asked these same questions at places like air gas & welsco places that sell acetylene and they have never heard of these rules.

Before these rules it was 1/7 instead of 1/10. By changing it to 1/10 that narrows the range even more on the withdrawal rate. So whoever came up with these rules must seem to think
It is very important safety wise to have narrowed the withdrawal rate per hour even more than what it was. It's hard to believe this rule can be found on the internet and part of the explanation as how to use it isn't no where to be found.

Hoping someone will read this and be able to explain how it works or know the missing part of how it works.

Up here industry standard is to have back check valves on acetylene. Never heard of the 1/10 guideline but it's interesting.
I always ran check valves on both oxy and acet at the mixer after having blowbacks using torches frequently in the late 70s thru mid 80s. . Most of the blowbacks were when I had a rosebud on the mixer, heating up big hubs.

I always ran check valves on both oxy and acet at the mixer after having blowbacks using torches frequently in the late 70s thru mid 80s. . Most of the blowbacks were when I had a rosebud on the mixer, heating up big hubs.
Rosebuds use a lot more gas at a faster rate and on a smaller bottle around 145 cubic feet volume especially if that bottle has been used enough where it isn't completely full. You can start pulling acetone out and create blow backs.

I was going to put flashback arrestors on my torch and bottles like you have. And am probably do it. The only reason I haven't yet is because I read that when you use flashback arrestors they some how restrict the flow and according to the acetylene cutting tip chart you are supposed to increase the gas psi by 25 %.

Using 145 cubic foot bottles that extra 25% adds to the withdrawal rate on the 1/10 rule. Drains the bottle a little faster. I almost just bought a 350 cubic foot bottle instead of the 145 when I went to get a refill but it have taken me forever to use that much gas no more cutting than I do. But with a 350 cf bottle I wouldn't had to worry about exceeding the 1/10 withdrawal rate. Nor if I were to use a rosebud which I use from time to time and adding the extra 25% to compensate for using flash back arrestors.

Am going to look into a tank manifold to where I could maybe use two 145 bottles for the time's I might need to cut a lot 1/2 to 1 inch metal. That way I could use that much gas up in a reasonable amount of time and not having it sit around for months at a time. But actually there's not a whole lot of difference between using two 145 cf bottles versus one 350 cf. Just 60 cf.

Cheaper yes, better no.
That's been my experience.
Rosebuds use a lot more gas at a faster rate and on a smaller bottle around 145 cubic feet volume especially if that bottle has been used enough where it isn't completely full. You can start pulling acetone out and create blow backs.

I was going to put flashback arrestors on my torch and bottles like you have. And am probably do it. The only reason I haven't yet is because I read that when you use flashback arrestors they some how restrict the flow and according to the acetylene cutting tip chart you are supposed to increase the gas psi by 25 %.

Using 145 cubic foot bottles that extra 25% adds to the withdrawal rate on the 1/10 rule. Drains the bottle a little faster. I almost just bought a 350 cubic foot bottle instead of the 145 when I went to get a refill but it have taken me forever to use that much gas no more cutting than I do. But with a 350 cf bottle I wouldn't had to worry about exceeding the 1/10 withdrawal rate. Nor if I were to use a rosebud which I use from time to time and adding the extra 25% to compensate for using flash back arrestors.

Am going to look into a tank manifold to where I could maybe use two 145 bottles for the time's I might need to cut a lot 1/2 to 1 inch metal. That way I could use that much gas up in a reasonable amount of time and not having it sit around for months at a time. But actually there's not a whole lot of difference between using two 145 cf bottles versus one 350 cf. Just 60 cf.
I applaud your commitment to safety but you might be making this more complicated than need be.... just sayin.

Propane requires a little more pre-heat time and can be a pain when piercing sometimes. But UP here the cost of propane is about 65% less so I can use a whole lot extra of it and still save money. I switched a few years back when acetylene was completely unavailable here.

But since I bought a plasma cutter that will clean cut 7/8" and sever like 1-⅛" I rarely use the torch for anything but heating anymore.

That's been my experience.

I applaud your commitment to safety but you might be making this more complicated than need be.... just sayin.
Your right about that. I very well could be. From the time I graduated high school until I turned 30 I worked construction and was an iron worker. Used acetylene torches a lot during that time. Never had or saw a tank accident. Took welding at a vocational school. But other than issuing us a text book on welding there wasn't much class room instruction. They didn't even go over the basics on how to set tank pressure. Guess they expected us to read the book at our leisure. Which isn't nothing wrong with that I guess.

Never even give the possibility of a tank exploding a second thought during all of that time until I got these big 2 & 3 foot diameter x 14 & 24 foot in length 1/2 to 3/4 inch tanks gave to me. That I want to cut in half length wise to make cow feeders out of. That was when I was looking into seeing what would be the best way to cut them. Bought a miller trail blazer welding machine a few years ago with the intentions of buy a plasma cutter to run off of the welding machine.

So after researching the internet, reading a lot, watching a lot of videos, reading a lot of welding forums. I learned some things I had never heard about like the 1/7, 1/10, 1/15 rules. Why you shouldn't lay acetylene bottles on their side and all the rest of that stuff. And after learning that stuff I was able to understand why I had never had a bottle blow up on me after all of the years and time's I have used acetylene torches.

The reason for me not ever having come close to that happening was because 90 % of that time. The acetylene bottles I used were bigger bottles than what I used after I bought my own torch and bottles. In that welding school they had 350 cubic foot bottles. Most construction jobs had 250 cubic foot or bigger capacity bottles. And 90 % of the time myself I never continually cut 3/8 to 1 inch and bigger metal for an hour or more at a time. So I never came close to going over the withdrawal rate of those large capacity bottles like I can easily exceed now using these smaller 145 cubic size 14 acetylene bottles at home.

145 cubic foot bottles are what a lot of people use for homes or small shops. People who's majority of cutting is on 3/8 and smaller metal or even 1 inch that might only take a few minutes to cut. So unless they happen to need to cut a peace of 1 inch plate that would take say 15 minutes to cut and the tank is already next to being empty. They probably want draw acetone out of the bottle when doing so. But it could happen and could blow a bottle up.

There's a guy here that builds fence and metal buildings. Several years back he was in his shop precutting post for H braces. Somehow the acetylene bottle caught fire. It caught the shop on fire then went went zinging across the yard and burned his house down. Sounds crazy I know but it happened. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt. Ever since this happened I use flashback arrestors.

I have no idea for sure what could have caused that to happen. But it might and again there's no way of knowing unless someone checked the amount of acetylene that was in the bottle after the fire.

The bottle could have been close to empty, and maybe the guy withdrew the last of the gas at a rate that caused the torch to withdraw acetone along with the remaining acetylene that was left in the bottle. If that happened the acetone/low acetylene mixture would be like a moisture mist instead of gas to causes the torch to start popping and burn back through the torch, hoses and regulator that could have caught the hose and regulators on fire.

Wonder how he got the fire out ? More than likely he turned the bottle's off fast enough. Read that the regulator's can somehow shut of themselves once they catch fire but sometimes if they don't the fire travels past the regulators that can cause the bottles to explode.

From what I read and the way I understand it. Once the acetylene gage reads almost even zero pressure the torch will still light and cut. And that's the point that acetone can start flowing out along with the acetylene and cause flash backs.

So if the guy who your talking about was trying to finish a cutting project and was using a bottle that was close to empty before he started and maybe thought he would use the remaining what little gas that was in the bottle. Before getting a new full bottle. That might have been what could have happened. If that was what happened I could see where flash back arrestors could have prevented it.

I have no idea for sure what could have caused that to happen. But it might and again there's no way of knowing unless someone checked the amount of acetylene that was in the bottle after the fire.

The bottle could have been close to empty, and maybe the guy withdrew the last of the gas at a rate that caused the torch to withdraw acetone along with the remaining acetylene that was left in the bottle. If that happened the acetone/low acetylene mixture would be like a moisture mist instead of gas to causes the torch to start popping and burn back through the torch, hoses and regulator that could have caught the hose and regulators on fire.

Wonder how he got the fire out ? More than likely he turned the bottle's off fast enough. Read that the regulator's can somehow shut of themselves once they catch fire but sometimes if they don't the fire travels past the regulators that can cause the bottles to explode.

From what I read and the way I understand it. Once the acetylene gage reads almost even zero pressure the torch will still light and cut. And that's the point that acetone can start flowing out along with the acetylene and cause flash backs.

So if the guy who your talking about was trying to finish a cutting project and was using a bottle that was close to empty before he started and maybe thought he would use the remaining what little gas that was in the bottle. Before getting a new full bottle. That might have been what could have happened. If that was what happened I could see where flash back arrestors could have prevented it.
I never ask how it happened.

About 30 yrs ago I was working for a fairly good size ranch. The main shop was a 60x 100x18. One corner of the shop had the welding table and such at it. The guy I worked with was lighting the torch to cut something and I was standing in the middle of the shop with my back to him. When he lit the torch I heard a huge bang and turned around to see a black ball from top to bottom of the shop with him in the middle of it turning the bottles off. He just looked at me and said I'm going home. I looked but didn't see anything wrong with the equipment so not sure what happened. He almost had to off let too much acetylene out before lighting the torch. He came back about an hour later and took the torch and hid it behind some boxes on a shelf and got the spare out. Oh yes he was wearing different clothes when he came back. 😆😆

My dad had some pretty serious scars on his chest from an oxygen bottle that blew up at a shop he worked in as a teenager. Think that was from oil on the regulator but not positive. Sure made me pay attention when time came to learn about using them.

Latest posts