10 dollar weed eaters

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you run the engines dry when you are finished?
If I know I am not going to use it for a while I start up, pour the remainder of the fuel out, let it idle dry and leave the fuel cap a little loose.. When restarting it usually takes an extra pull or two to get back going, but at least the fuel has not degraded the internals near as fast.

Not trying to highjack Sky s thread, but here are a few of my projects and many more besides these finally found a little time to complete. a lot were completed about mid-night.....All these were torn down to the ground each parts inspected/tested if needed and built back.

Pile of MS170 junk...

osuf7vP.jpg

I found 6 MS170 in that pile and all are finished and tested, still in their work clothes from testing...

wR4UwRZ.jpg

I bought this MS660 pile of junk...

OjYwhXR.jpg

Here is the finished saw a very nice saw...

PQThYhM.jpg

Bought this junk at an auction a while back...

LDUkhSy.jpg

Finally got them finished....

e9f4bjO.jpg

What's your thoughts on the premix fuel they are selling
I use the premix in my log splitter as it is temperamental with fuel and it works fine, but if I use reg fuels even non ethanol it still messes up, I have to rune it dry no matter what. Tired of cleaning the carburetor

Not trying to highjack Sky s thread, but here are a few of my projects and many more besides these finally found a little time to complete. a lot were completed about mid-night.....All these were torn down to the ground each parts inspected/tested if needed and built back.

Pile of MS170 junk...

osuf7vP.jpg

I found 6 MS170 in that pile and all are finished and tested, still in their work clothes from testing...

wR4UwRZ.jpg

I bought this MS660 pile of junk...

OjYwhXR.jpg

Here is the finished saw a very nice saw...

PQThYhM.jpg

Bought this junk at an auction a while back...

LDUkhSy.jpg

Finally got them finished....

e9f4bjO.jpg

Please HiJack I like seeing your projects and all the parts and pieces that turn into saws lol Maybe we should start a thread about Small engine projects

Here are a couple more projects with about 15 more I am working on. Not a lot of time as been in hay almost 2 weeks.

A guy brought this to me 2-3 weeks ago and wanted dads old saw fixed as it had been on a shelf about 20 years and a couple people so far could not fix he had tried. When I checked it out I gave him a call to see just how bad he wanted dads old saw fixed. Air filter was gone, the side plate with 015 was gone, needed crankshaft seals, carb kit, fuel line, intake replaced, recoil messed up, clutch was worn out, no fire (had to adjust and clean points as it does not have electronic ignition), new condensor, etc. etc. etc. I put around $80 in parts, the saw runs/works like it should now.

szhnqFi.jpg

841Ry3n.jpg

Here is an early Stihl 10mm 044 70cc saw as I about have the parts ready to finish putting together. It has new oem bearings/seals good shape crank and everything checks out good. It will be nice when finished.

LsII7EI.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a 261C at work last week. What's your thoughts on the computerized saws

I have Jonsered with Autotune. Was a pretty big fan of it when it was working. We get pretty wild temperature/humidity swings and it was nice not needing to tweak the carb every time you took it out.

Last year it started acting up. Dealer wants $100+ an hour to work on it, and they are the only ones with the software. They suggested a new carb and reset/update, that was over $200 with me doing the work and made it a little better but still not right. I could've sold this one as-is and spend that $200 on a new saw.

I won't buy another one, I hate being at the dealers mercy for any kind of service.

Hard to beat an MS260 or 346XP.

Here is my current 261 Pro bar as I had a 261C new that never had been gassed I flipped and about doubled my money. I like the non Mtronic better as I can adjust the carb and add more fuel, tach speed slow it down, which helps the low end torque.

nDQJduM.jpg

Here is my current 362 and 362C....

t7ojrOz.jpg

Latest posts