Greasing and PTO Shaft Guards

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
I've struggled for years to grease the CV joint on our bushhog because of how the CV guard is made. Even with the greasing holes it's still hard to do. I stumbled on a video that sure made me feel dumb yesterday. The guy in the video turned the plastic guard until he found the red tab and then pulled the red tab to release it. After this he held one of the 4 white tabs in place by hand and twisted the guard until the white tabs released ( about 1/8 turn). Once released the guard pulled back exposing the CV joint and zerks. Took about a minute to take loose and reinstall when I tried it yesterday. I might be the only one didn't know this but maybe it'll help someone else too.

I've struggled for years to grease the CV joint on our bushhog because of how the CV guard is made. Even with the greasing holes it's still hard to do. I stumbled on a video that sure made me feel dumb yesterday. The guy in the video turned the plastic guard until he found the red tab and then pulled the red tab to release it. After this he held one of the 4 white tabs in place by hand and twisted the guard until the white tabs released ( about 1/8 turn). Once released the guard pulled back exposing the CV joint and zerks. Took about a minute to take loose and reinstall when I tried it yesterday. I might be the only one didn't know this but maybe it'll help someone else too.
Your not the only one.

Now I feel dumb.

Next new shaft I get I'll try that before I cut it off. I really can't see how those guards help. I keep right away from shafts revolving whether they have a guard or not.

Ken

Next new shaft I get I'll try that before I cut it off. I really can't see how those guards help. I keep right away from shafts revolving whether they have a guard or not.

Ken
As a lawyer, I have seen terrible accidents from unguarded pto shafts, women with long hair scalped, shirts not tucked in causing terrible injuries, etc. Guards are a good thing, but, jeezus pete, make them more user-friendly! I grew up during a time when there were no guards, just knuckle joints and spinning shafts.

I am very pro safety and everything that it involves. I also believe in common sense. I don't not have an guards on shredders. There should be no one in the vicinity of those shafts or the shredder in general when it is running. I dont do the you get in the cab and kick it on and I'll stand here or any thing like that. I come from a lock out tag out, double block and bleed, at least 2 barrier world. I have never been able to get to the grease points I needed with them and they clog up with so much debri. It's a lot easier to keep it clean and maintained with out them, IMO.

There are pieces of equipment that have ptos that you have to work around and they definitely need guards. With a shredder, I can not think of a situation where that is necessary. It's always a personal preference though.

I watch a lot of YouTube channels with young farmers and things and I cringe every time I see them crawl under equipment being held by hydraulics. People will nicely suggest that they block it or set it down or not go under and it's crazy how many people come to their defense.

I think situations where I am the sole operator I can control my exposure to spinning shafts. Once a 2nd person is involved such as my wife who likes to throw herself into these things to fix something up then I agree as much protection as possible is needed. I keep her away as much as possible but one thing that comes to mind is digging postholes where she is often around.

Ken

I think situations where I am the sole operator I can control my exposure to spinning shafts. Once a 2nd person is involved such as my wife who likes to throw herself into these things to fix something up then I agree as much protection as possible is needed. I keep her away as much as possible but one thing that comes to mind is digging postholes where she is often around.

Ken
father in law got wrapped up in post hole digger and lost a lung...blessed not to lose his life

father in law got wrapped up in post hole digger and lost a lung...blessed not to lose his life
My gosh...I bet that was a bad accident. 12 yrs ago when we where pouring the slab for our shop the concrete guys were drilling 36" piers with a 24" auger. The ground was hard so they had a guy standing on the little guard thats over the gearbox. They got half of them done that day, think there was 14 total. That evening I was checking things out and noticed all 4 bolts on that guard were nearly backed out. When I showed the boss the next morning he kinda freaked out about it. They tightened the bolts and stood on the gearbox again that day. Made me nervous.

Had something happen yesterday, was unhooking bushhog ,and layed the adjustable arm pin on the fender..as i was reaching down too release the pto shaft..the pin rolled off the fender and hit the pto engagement lever.. I was In between tractor and hog. Blades turning right next to my feet .plus the thought of what could have happened if it's was a second later, with my hands on the pto coupling..

Had something happen yesterday, was unhooking bushhog ,and layed the adjustable arm pin on the fender..as i was reaching down too release the pto shaft..the pin rolled off the fender and hit the pto engagement lever.. I was In between tractor and hog. Blades turning right next to my feet .plus the thought of what could have happened if it's was a second later, with my hands on the pto coupling..
Now that's a freak accident. Glad you're still in one piece, literally.

What kind of tractor? Most of my PTO levers/buttons take a fair amount of persuasion.

Latest posts