Grassfed Beef Seminar/Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

The best way to discover forage friendly genetics is to run your cattle on what your ranch produces-not on what two off farm jobs and an ancillary grain operation can provide. I don't think we have to cross the pond to find them either-there are plenty of outfits here who have cattle that will work-you just need to find them-plus those cattle have the advantage of being adapted to our climate.

Northern Rancher":u52wwrjj said:
novatech I'd like to show you some examples of how the new high octane Angus do on forage alone but they don't last long enough to get the film developed.When we first started A'I'ing we used some real power bulls at the time-lo and behold our Angus calves weighed right up with our Charolais-in a few years our Angus cows did the same.
P1010022-1.jpg

She can make her living on forage alone.

MoosominTrip068.jpg

So did he-bred cows till he was 13.

P1010595.jpg

I'll take a few hundred like her.

IMG_2235.jpg

or her
IMG_0488.jpg

the mother

IMG_0487.jpg

the daughter

--I
How are these cattle any different than what any cow calf operation should be?
There are very few producers that have to supplement their cattle with grain.
Do you think they supplement when they are on grass like you have in your pics?
All the genetics from the cow calf operation stay with the steers or heifers.
The bull for the terminal calf came from the same back ground. The genetics are the same. The only thing that changes is the micros. All I can see is that the grass fed advocates want to lie false claim to easy keeping cattle with good fleshing ability.
By the way, I like your cattle.

dun":ef28x9x5 said:
AngusLimoX":ef28x9x5 said:
angie":ef28x9x5 said:
Does that make me "greedy" or a smart business person?

If you can't pasture 365 - it puts you out of cattle.

Maybe not quite yet, they may say hay is okay for now, but it is the thin edge starting to cut.
If that's the case 99% of the beef producers would be out of cattle

On this continent maybe.
My pasture grass is under 3 inches of ice packed snow right now, I couldn't get to it with the loader if I tried. Won't likely see it again until April. Lucky I have machine harvested dry hay ( not grass ) so the old girls will get through.

Everyone who is against animal agriculture is going to push for this. Try destroy the feed lots.
The folks that buy my calves.

Can you point out the supplement they are getting-high growth-high milk angus cows on our place would be two condition scores behind the pictured cows-I know because I had the enjoyable task of watching them weed themselves out-cattle that perform on forage alone don't happen overnight. We retain ownership and sell on the grid-these little more traditional cattle do just fine in that situation.

Don't worry I doubt that a handful of heretics raising more traditional Angus cattle are going to destry the feedlot industry.

options":1by2092g said:
Well I guess the jury is in the American consumer has spoken, they will pay more for what they want, seems logical then that the price for imported beef will rise dramatically. After all the consumer knows how wonderfull a product grass fed beef is. That brings me right back to this whole business of hay, where did all those hay experts go? They were going to teach me all about it.

If you really want to know then GOOGLE it. I know you can operate a computer because you keep posting.

Northern Rancher":ep1eyfr9 said:
Can you point out the supplement they are getting-high growth-high milk angus cows on our place would be two condition scores behind the pictured cows-I know because I had the enjoyable task of watching them weed themselves out-cattle that perform on forage alone don't happen overnight. We retain ownership and sell on the grid-these little more traditional cattle do just fine in that situation.
Somehow somebody has given you the mistaken idea that cows are normally supplemented. I have no clue where you got that but where ever it or who it was had their head somewhere where it does not belong.
There are those that do feed supplement in the way of grain but it is a matter of choice by them. Supplement can just as easy be fed in the form of grass. Hay is grass. It can also be fed by way of legume hay. The protein levels of the forage hay must be high enough to sustain life. There are cows that can make it better on lower quality grass than others. Pics of this type of cow can be seen now on a couple of Knersies bulls he raised on the veld.
The fact that some people choose to feed some grain as a supplement has nothing to do with genetics.
In this part of the world I do not know of a single that supplements their cattle with grain.
The truth is that now you have better doing cattle than you did before. You just culled out the hard keepers.
I am willing to bet that if you selected calves from a feed lot and put them back on grass that the comparison between them on daily gain would remain the same.

Two things come to mind reading this useful discussion:

1) It is generally not a good idea to argue with your customers

2) There is usually a middle ground between the extremes (100% feedlot corn finish and 100% grass finish?) which is where the pendulum eventually comes to rest.

Jim

Why do I think alot of cows are supplemented-because they are!!! I usually A'I a coiuple thousand cows a year and am a field man for a big livestock co-op-on weekends I pack cowboys to rodeos from Saskatchewan to New Mexico-I have a bad habit of looking around in my travels-alot of creep feeders in grain troughs no matter where you go. I have nothing against feedlot cattle-we send our own to be custom fed-I do have a problem with cows that need a little help. As to the two jobs quote-I bet if we all look at our enterprise records-our Cost of production goes up in high income years. I had a big arguement with an extension guy about it till he checked their COP studies. After a few lean years we tend to raise our fixed costs by 'rewarding ' our perserverance with some new iron etc and we tend to treat our cows a bit kinder. In our country alot of cattle are raised to save on income tax-which is fine but they really don't care about what it costs to raise them.

The first thing I think of when I see creep feeders is that the pasture is overstocked. Also when you see all those creep feeders look close to see if they are actually being used.
The main thing grass fed producers do is a very good job of raising grass and I applaud them for it. You can take those same "grass fed genetic" cattle on the P poor pasture I raised some of mine on during the drought and discover that they are not the great genetics you believe they are. (I am speaking in general not about your particular cows.)
So what is the difference in putting a calf on plush pasture to finish out or putting them on grain, besides the microbes in their belly? An inefficient bred calf in the pasture is just as inefficient in the feed lot.
Like I said I am very willing to change my opinion on this but you are going to have to show me.

browns":2nf8wbir said:
If you really want to know then GOOGLE it. I know you can operate a computer because you keep posting.
Well that line of thought completely defeats the concept of a Question and Answer board does it not.

After all how much hay does google make in a year?

what?":21om08ee said:
browns":21om08ee said:
Well that line of thought completely defeats the concept of a Question and Answer board does it not.

After all how much hay does google make in a year?

How much hay does browns make in a year?

And for who? What?

crap..i read all the way here to finish this thread with this......dang it...a waste of 5 mins

hell angie or hillsdown aint even been back

hohoho

gary

my cows ea thay grass and citrus pellets...wtf are they?????

Latest posts