Grassfed Beef Seminar/Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

angie":2236yse6 said:
options":2236yse6 said:
The next time you feel superior and want to cut someone down remember, I don't know if I should laugh or feel sorry for you.
Gimmie a break ~ you are playing games and now you want to look like a victim?
I don't care if I inspire your sympathy or your humor, and I am guessing you feel as much.
I'm not sure if I should laugh or feel sorry for you. You said it not me.

I refer to grass fed as only being in pasture grazing 24/7 265 days a year,,not ever being given hay or silage . I saw a few pics on another site where they claimed they were grass farmers yet were feeding silage with oats, barley and corn, or they were |swath grazing" and all they did was roll out a bale of hay. I think semantics are the big difference if feeding just pasture and hay and any forage is what a grass farmer is, no matter how they do it, then I am pretty sure that means that 95% of the North American cow calf producers do just that.

hillsdown":2lmgs0k5 said:
I refer to grass fed as only being in pasture grazing 24/7 265 days a year,,not ever being given hay or silage . I saw a few pics on another site where they claimed they were grass farmers yet were feeding silage with oats, barley and corn, or they were |swath grazing" and all they did was roll out a bale of hay. I think semantics are the big difference if feeding just pasture and hay and any forage is what a grass farmer is, no matter how they do it, then I am pretty sure that means that 95% of the North American cow calf producers do just that.
What do they eat the other 100 days?
Sorry I couldn't resist. ;-)

hillsdown":1ur2h7ak said:
if feeding just pasture and hay and any forage is what a grass farmer is, no matter how they do it, then I am pretty sure that means that 95% of the North American cow calf producers do just that.
Its not so much about your cows and calves, it is about whatever you are raising to market for beef, and almost exclusively these animals are grain finished around here.

hillsdown":16y6sirk said:
Exactly my point hillsdown. Makes it impossible to run a grass fed operation in a area that will have it's grass under 30" of snow. Of course Angie is way smarter than the rest of us even though she has not been able to tell us how they are able to grow with no grass. By the way in USA we have 365 days in a year, but hell your money is different might as well have a goofy calendar as well. JUST KIDDING HD.

angie":15mbp5m4 said:
hillsdown":15mbp5m4 said:
if feeding just pasture and hay and any forage is what a grass farmer is, no matter how they do it, then I am pretty sure that means that 95% of the North American cow calf producers do just that.
Its not so much about your cows and calves, it is about whatever you are raising to market for beef, and almost exclusively these animals are grain finished around here.

Angie the point was a grass fed seminar no one here can do it that way, especially not in the North.. we need to feed hay etc we are not just talking about finishing, and yes i like my animals finished on Barely but I did a finished grass steer this year and he is d@mn good too, but he was not strictly grass fed as I had to feed hay in the winter. Most people of the world do not call that grass fed , grass fed to them means grazing in pasture 365 days a year until slaughter.

novatech":20hfb7hb said:
hillsdown":20hfb7hb said:
What do they eat the other 100 days?
Sorry I couldn't resist. ;-)

As you know Nova I pamper my cattle they get to come in the house and wear diapers.. so they eat with Mr Hd and I and have a gourmet but herbivore meal during those 100 days. Mr. HD gives them his brussel sprouts and turnips off his plate that he refuses to eat.. :p

options":oj4jdrqy said:
hillsdown":oj4jdrqy said:
Exactly my point hillsdown. Makes it impossible to run a grass fed operation in a area that will have it's grass under 30" of snow. Of course Angie is way smarter than the rest of us even though she has not been able to tell us how they are able to grow with no grass. By the way in USA we have 365 days in a year, but be nice your money is different might as well have a goofy calendar as well. JUST KIDDING HD.

Please forgive my mistype for even I know that there are ummmmm 365 days in a year, well most of the time.. :lol:

Also at least after a couple of beers, us here in Canada, can tell at a glance whether we handed the cab driver a twenty or a fifty.. ;-) :lol2:

Hillsdown- are you saying hay is not grass :???: Most- is just dryed or cured grass- unless you are putting up some type of grain hay....

"Grass fed" genetics doesn't mean that they have to be out grazing a growing stem of grass all the time....They are just cattle that can convert grass/grass products to beef better than some of the new "bigger, better, faster" genetics that were developed to be fed out on high concentrate grains... Most grass fed genetics cattle also do quite well being fed out in a lot with grain supplementation too- altho they may reach finished weight faster....

"Grass fed" beef is raised only on grass (without grain concentrates)- and is done in this area now (and Canada)- with the weaned calves being wintered on grass pastures/hayfields- supplemented by hay- and then pasture grazed the next year to a grass finished condition....
"Grass fed" is one of the fastest growing markets in N.A- nipping at the heels of CAB for being innovative marketing programs....

http://www.tallgrassbeef.com/

quote]They will know enough about the weather in Feb to know that a 100% grass fed program will never work there.[/quote]

I guess you'll have to tell that to the folks that have even more snow than Yankton- that have been doing it for years.... :shock: :???: ;-)[/quote]Please explan how it is possible for cattle to graze grass when it is covered by 30" of snow?[/quote]

Ever hear of hay?

Jovid":1zy2tprm said:
Ever hear of hay?
Sure have, Angie told me what it is made from, can you tell me how it is made and what a person does with it?

options":3q2lugwy said:
Jovid":3q2lugwy said:
Ever hear of hay?
Sure have, Angie told me what it is made from, can you tell me how it is made and what a person does with it?
I promised myself I was not going to argue this further, but against my better judgment, I'll take a stab.

Its dried grass, thats fed to beef.

angie":39ptxiwc said:
options":39ptxiwc said:
Jovid":39ptxiwc said:
Ever hear of hay?
I promised myself I was not going to argue this further, but against my better judgment, I'll take a stab.

Its dried grass, thats fed to beef.
So the grass is dry and laying under 30" of snow how do the cattle find it? How does it not rot laying on the ground? Why is it called hay if it is just dried grass? You must be leaving some very important facts about hay production out.

OT it is not me saying it it is the world saying it .The countries who only grass feed their cattle, which means they are on pasture 365 days a year. You all have come up with a fancy name to rename what we have been doing from day one , grazing our cattle and feeding them hay when they cannot graze. That is not "grass fed" that is just the way it has always been done and this bull shytt blanket statement that everyone here in north america feeds their cattle grain from day one needs to pull their heads out of their @sses because it is hard enough to break even feeding them just grass let alone grain too ,unless you have them on a specific finishing program and have the clientele that pay for it...

The next time I hear one more time that they are grass fed only I really will go certifiable, if you want to be grass fed only then you are on the wrong continent for it... Grass fed to the real world means grazing the native land only ,that is it, no cut and rolled hay fed and no silage and certainly no additives like some of your folks favorite " turkey litter ".

You all are letting south american beef dictate what we market already and we still produce a better product, our cattle are not "grass fed" they are forage fed their is a difference.

I raise forage cattle not grass cattle as my cattle get alfalfa too and I thought that was not considered a grass.

hillsdown":2epmb4e0 said:
The next time I hear one more time that they are grass fed only I really will go certifiable, if you want to be grass fed only then you are on the wrong continent for it... Grass fed to the real world means grazing the native land only ,that is it, no cut and rolled hay fed and no silage and certainly no additives like some of your folks favorite " turkey litter ".

With your rant-and your way of thinking- you might be there ;-)

Apparently you read none of the material about what qualifies for these programs- or what the consumer is asking for- or why....

I'm neither a proponent for or against the grass/forage fed science/health advantages--but I know much of this country does believe it- and are willing to pay more to get those animals that are not grain fed/finished- or that have been fed in lots...

And even tho its been over 40 years since I sat as an Ag Business major- with Ag merchandising as a minor--I do remember is that the number one principle of merchandising was give the consumer what they want- and the consumer is always right....

Oldtimer":1ggmhtd5 said:
I'm neither a proponent for or against the grass/forage fed science/health advantages--but I know much of this country does believe it- and are willing to pay more to get those animals that are not grain fed/finished- or that have been fed in lots...

And even tho its been over 40 years since I sat as an Ag Business major- with Ag merchandising as a minor--I do remember is that the number one principle of merchandising was give the consumer what they want- and the consumer is always right....
Well if they are willing to pay more for it the South Americans should be happy. That imported beef everybody complains about is exactly what you are telling me the consumer wants.

options":3avj0t3m said:
Oldtimer":3avj0t3m said:

Well if they are willing to pay more for it the South Americans should be happy. That imported beef everybody complains about is exactly what you are telling me the consumer wants.

Could that be the reason you see so many empty, closed, or for sale feedlots scattered thruout the country :???: ....

With the predictions that we will never see $2 corn again- it makes you wonder where the industry will have to go to compete...Definitely lowering output costs is one thing that will need to be done...

Actully guys have swath grazed native meadows up here-900 miles north of Billings, Montana-all winter with 30 inches at least of snow. It's amazing what cows will root through if they get awath opened up for them. When we swath grazed we just ran some horses with our cows-they paw open a swath in no time. If the snow gets too deep you can take a snow plow and roll the swath back on top. There's a solution for just about everything under your nose if you don't waste your kife arguing about what hay is. If grass finishing is such a lame idea-go grease your corn planter and let us poor fools hang ourselves lol.

Northern Rancher":30jurvpv said:
Actully guys have swath grazed native meadows up here-900 miles north of Billings, Montana-all winter with 30 inches at least of snow. It's amazing what cows will root through if they get awath opened up for them. When we swath grazed we just ran some horses with our cows-they paw open a swath in no time. If the snow gets too deep you can take a snow plow and roll the swath back on top. There's a solution for just about everything under your nose if you don't waste your kife arguing about what hay is. If grass finishing is such a lame idea-go grease your corn planter and let us poor fools hang ourselves lol.

NR that is swath grazing ,cut a field down and then let the cattle eat it later on and aw through the snow. Not, so called swath grazing if a guy rolling out a bale of hay of hay in the snow and saying look at my cows swath grazing big difference. Really what the heck do people think we did 75 years ago with our cattle ..

Swath grazing cannot always be done though especially if you have 5 feet of snow and ice packs..

Latest posts