Grassfed Beef Seminar/Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":sknmqgne said:
Well fescue is fescue and my fescue hay is just stockpiled in the hay pen. Grass is grass no matter how the cow eats it.
Please explain your stockpiled hay?

Red Bull Breeder":32nqv5rx said:
Not me options, you sound to much like edrsimms the last few days.
Thats fine. You sounded real knowledgable throwing around phrases like fescue is fescue and my fescue is stockpiled. Thought maybe you could elaborate more, but that must be all you knew. Thanks.

What I find interesting is all the ways people have in cutting down the ways other people do things. I do not sell grass fed beef and have no interest in doing so. I have learned a great deal by reading posts and articles written by the grass fed beef people concerning pasture management. To me it is not how I can fault them for how they choose to raise and market their product but what can I learn that will benefit me and my way of raising and marketing my cattle.

Naw options i didn't sound smart. I am just your run off the mill hillbilly with a few cows that eats what ever i give them. Sometimes i give them green grass and sometimes i give them a big round ball off grass that has been run threw a hay baler. You no just to give them something different.

Red Bull Breeder":7udnbd98 said:
Naw options i didn't sound smart. I am just your run off the mill hillbilly with a few cows that eats what ever i give them. Sometimes i give them green grass and sometimes i give them a big round ball off grass that has been run threw a hay baler. You no just to give them something different.
Tell me more about this big round ball of grass that has been thrown in a baler. Is this baler a machine? Do humans operate it or do the cows? I want to learn as much as I can about how hay is produced and how it is fed to BEEF as Angie boldly suggested. I was hoping Angie would further explain but she must be busy, Then jovid flew in with some wisdom but he or she too has gone awol.

novatech":25lijckx said:
To me it is not how I can fault them for how they choose to raise and market their product but what can I learn that will benefit me and my way of raising and marketing my cattle.
My thoughts exactly I just want to learn about this whole hay deal, but the only thing people want to post is a wise crack, then nothing.

options, your speech pattern sure seems familiar. I have to wonder if you aren't someone we know under another name and you're just baiting us like pit bulls on a chain. Just remember what happens if the chain breaks!

Labelling something "grass fed" is one step from saying "Made in Brazil".

Tear down the North American beef infrastucture by brainwashing idiot consumers and greedy nitwit cattlemen who think they will get an "edge" and - toute fine'.

Worms gonna be crawing in my eye sockets when it happens, but it is gonna happen. We are too stoopid to stop it.

HD and options seem to see it, the rest have their heads up their grass.

AngusLimoX":wg0wup42 said:

Tear down the North American beef infrastucture by brainwashing idiot consumers and greedy nitwit cattlemen who think they will get an "edge" and - toute fine'.

Worms gonna be crawing in my eye sockets when it happens, but it is gonna happen. We are too stoopid to stop it.

Too bad ALX ~ in order to make a profit, you need to sell what the consumer wants, not necessarily what you want to raise or what you think they should eat. Why do you think so many breeds of cattle have turned black? If Brazil sells purple cows and consumers are saying "HEY! I will pay top dollar for purple cow meat!" Guess what I'm going to look into?

Does that make me "greedy" or a smart business person?

angie":2pnz6ogh said:
AngusLimoX":2pnz6ogh said:

Too bad ALX ~ in order to make a profit, you need to sell what the consumer wants, not necessarily what you want to raise or what you think they should eat. Why do you think so many breeds of cattle have turned black? If Brazil sells purple cows and consumers are saying "HEY! I will pay top dollar for purple cow meat!" Guess what I'm going to look into?

Yep- a major portion of the medical field and the consumers of America now believe in the qualities of "Grass Finished Beef" and "pasture raised beef"- and every major ecoli outbreak and recall even convinces them more....

And if no one in this country furnish's the product these folks want- they will have no alternative than to go to S.A. or Australian product.... But luckily we have progressive folks in this country left- that are willing to change with the markets- that have moved to fullfilling that goal....

Better For You

More Vitamin A Is Better
Beta-Carotene is converted to vitamin A (retinol) by the human body, and grass-fed beef contains 10 times the Beta-Carotene of grain-fed beef. Vitamin A is important for normal vision, bone growth, reproduction, cell division, and cell differentiation. Additionally, vitamin A creates a barrier to bacterial and viral infection, and supports the production and function of white blood cells.

More Vitamin E Is Better
Grass-fed beef typically has 3 times the amount of vitamin E found in conventional grain-fed beef. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that may help prevent or delay coronary heart disease, block the formation of carcinogens formed in the stomach, and protect against cancer development. Vitamin E may also improve eye lens clarity and reduce or prevent the development of cataracts.

The Right Balance Of Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids Is Better
The ratio of Omega-3 fatty acids to Omega-6 fatty acids in our diet plays an important role in the prevention and treatment of coronary heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, autoimmune diseases, cancer, and arthritis and other inflammatory diseases. The American Medical Association and the World Health Organization recommend a ratio of roughly one to four parts Omega-6 to one part Omega-3. However, the cereal grains typically fed to cattle have very low levels of Omega-3 and much higher levels of Omega-6, while feeding grass to cattle increases the Omega-3 content of the meat by 60% and
produces a much more favorable Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio.

More CLA Is Better
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has demonstrated significant health benefits in the human body, including the reduction of carcinogenesis, atherosclerosis, and the onset of diabetes. Beef from grass-fed cattle contains 2 to 3 times more CLA than beef from grain-fed cattle.

More Dietary Protein Is Better
Grass-fed beef is leaner and higher in protein that grain-fed beef. In fact, grass-fed beef averages 1.5 times more protein than typical USDA Choice+ grain-fed beef. Research indicates that eating lean beef can help lower total, LDL and VLDL cholesterol, and triglycerides, while increasing beneficial HDL cholesterol. It can also help lower blood pressure, aid in weight loss, and improve insulin sensitivity and glycemic control.

Tallgrass beef cattle are 100% grass-fed.
Grass is the natural diet of cattle—grain is not. Cattle raised on grass are healthier because it's their natural food. In fact, cattle raised on grain must often be given antibiotics in order to digest their feed, and feeding cattle a corn diet has created an increase in the instance of E. coli contaminated beef. For that reason, Tallgrass Beef cattle are 100% grass-fed for their entire lives. The result is healthier cattle and healthier—and safer—beef.

Well I guess the jury is in the American consumer has spoken, they will pay more for what they want, seems logical then that the price for imported beef will rise dramatically. After all the consumer knows how wonderfull a product grass fed beef is. That brings me right back to this whole business of hay, where did all those hay experts go? They were going to teach me all about it.

You folks do know that this "grass fed" is something that wasn't invented just last week don't you :???: My grandpa never grain fed a beef- everything was grass fattened- then butchered...The cattle trailed from Texas to Montana in the 1880's- were run on Montana's powerful short grass to fatten- then taken to the railhead for transport to slaughter...None of those cattle ever saw an ear of corn (unless they broke into some homesteaders garden)....

Everyone acts like this is something new-- when really it has been around for hundreds of years.....Its the original way cattle were raised in this county...Its just that in the last few years the genetics of cattle went toward the high input cattle (like some discussed on this site that begin creep feeding at a month old to get full performance :roll: )-- but now that grain/concentrate inputs cost much more- and the consumers are reawakening to the qualities of "grass fed" it has revived some of those old genetics and methods as these producers roll with the punches of the ever changing markets.....
The great thing about grass genetics is that they finish out great on grain/corn too if thats the direction you want to go-- where most the high performance "bigger, better, faster" genetics won't finish out on grass...

They used to run 100's of three year old steers up here-they'd trail them south about 100 miles south of us to stronger grass to harden up. Native fescue up here can put a nice finish on a animal in late fall once the flies and mosquitoes are done. Dry two year old heifers flesh up pretty darn quick too.

Oldtimer":3rrrixn4 said:
The great thing about grass genetics is that they finish out great on grain/corn too if thats the direction you want to go-- where most the high performance "bigger, better, faster" genetics won't finish out on grass...
With all due respect Oldtimer. Until someone can prove to me that their is such a thing as grass fed genetics it flat out does not stand up. I can take one of those high performance "bigger, better, faster" animals and put them on grass ands do just as well as you so called grass fed genetics. Why? because it is a matter of the microbes in the belly. A calf coming off grass already has the microbes for grass.. After a calf is 4 months old they are highly dependent on grass. When they are weaned they have to be acclimated to starch which is a different microbe. Put the same calf on lush high nutrient grass and they will finish with out having to switch out the microbes. I know people that sell grass fed and buy there stock at the auction barn without any genetic background on them. I have even given some consideration to doing it myself.
The same is true in reverse. Take the grass genetics back ground them and put them in the feed lot, they do fine.( I know, you said that.)
If you are anyone else can show where I am wrong on this please show me the evidence. I am open minded enough about this to change my opinion.
I have learned a lot about better/different ways of pasture management from the grassfed people but this grass fed genetics is something that sounds more like propaganda than anything else.

angie":1504v63m said:

If you can't pasture 365 - it puts you out of cattle.

Maybe not quite yet, they may say hay is okay for now, but it is the thin edge starting to cut.

AngusLimoX":26oirqrw said:
angie":26oirqrw said:

If you can't pasture 365 - it puts you out of cattle.

Maybe not quite yet, they may say hay is okay for now, but it is the thin edge starting to cut.
If that's the case 99% of the beef producers would be out of cattle

novatech I'd like to show you some examples of how the new high octane Angus do on forage alone but they don't last long enough to get the film developed.When we first started A'I'ing we used some real power bulls at the time-lo and behold our Angus calves weighed right up with our Charolais-in a few years our Angus cows did the same.
P1010022-1.jpg

She can make her living on forage alone.

MoosominTrip068.jpg

So did he-bred cows till he was 13.

P1010595.jpg

I'll take a few hundred like her.

IMG_2235.jpg

or her
IMG_0488.jpg

the mother

IMG_0487.jpg

the daughter

--I

Latest posts