fullbloodand purebred

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

what is the diffrence in fullblood and purebred. and wich bull do you want in your crossbreeding program.

> what is the diffrence in fullblood
> and purebred. and wich bull do you
> want in your crossbreeding
> program.

Most continental breeds (i.e. Limousin, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Braunvieh, etc) use the Fullblood and Purebred designations.

Starting in the late 60's several new breeds were introduced into North America. Initially mostly bulls of these new breeds were imported and very few females. So early breeders of Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin, etc. would AI cows (Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn, Jersey, Holstein,crossbreds,...) with semen from the new breeds. The resulting progeny would be registered as half bloods. When these half blood females were bred back to another bull of their sire's breed the resulting progeny were registered as 3/4 bloods. When 3/4 bloods were bred back to the same breed the resulting progeny were 7/8th bloods, and the next generation 15/16ths.

Most breed associations that I'm familiar with will classify a 7/8th blood female as "purebred" and a 15/16th blood male as a "purebred."

Fullblood cattle are cattle that have never been "bred-up" from another breed. The only way this has been accomplished is by importing both bulls and females of the respective breed to N. America or importing embryos. The resulting progeny from animals imported from the country of origin are considered "Fullbloods." Today Fullblood cattle here in N. America trace ALL their genetics back to cattle/semen/embryos imported from the original country or countries.

In most, if not all Continental breeds, there are significantly more purebreds than fullbloods here in the US.

Whether you use a purebred or fullblood is a matter of personal preference. Genetically I wouldn't think there would be much difference in regard to performance, carcass composition, etc. since a Fullblood bull is actually 16/16th and a purebred bull is 15/16th.

Latest posts