Friendly bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Agree. Bulls can be unpredictable and dangerous. Always leave yourself an out (close to climbable fence or gate). Always carry a stick. Always watch your back. Stay away from bull sniffing cows.

When I go in bull or other pasture I always carry my cell phone and sorting stick. If I am here by myself and need to go in bull pasture, carry cell phone, stick, and my .40 Baretta Holstered.

Our Longhorn bulls are gentle; however, a bull is a bull and I don't trust any of them very much.

P.S.: The only way I'd go into a pasture with a Jersey Bull is to pack an AK-47 plus a sidearm...LOL!

Running Arrow Bill":3sra4ljn said:
Agree. Bulls can be unpredictable and dangerous. Always leave yourself an out (close to climbable fence or gate). Always carry a stick. Always watch your back. Stay away from bull sniffing cows.

When I go in bull or other pasture I always carry my cell phone and sorting stick. If I am here by myself and need to go in bull pasture, carry cell phone, stick, and my .40 Baretta Holstered.

Our Longhorn bulls are gentle; however, a bull is a bull and I don't trust any of them very much.

P.S.: The only way I'd go into a pasture with a Jersey Bull is to pack an AK-47 plus a sidearm...LOL!
You think castration is inhumane but you carry a .40 cal. to the bull pen?

ollie":j90lf9vs said:
Running Arrow Bill":j90lf9vs said:

You think castration is inhumane but you carry a .40 cal. to the bull pen?

Maybe it is more humane to blow the berries off of 'em. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Bill, could not resist. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you do it at close enough range the powder burn should sear the wound and stop the bleeding. This may be the practice of the future. :shock:

Tod Dague":1gvysvpi said:
If you do it at close enough range the powder burn should sear the wound and stop the bleeding. This may be the practice of the future. :shock:
I like it Tod. Your thinking outside the box.

ollie":3m92gu0x said:
Tod Dague":3m92gu0x said:
I like it Tod. Your thinking outside the box.

I've always been a little outside the box. ;-)

Don't have a problem with castration on a bull. Only a problem with how some people do it.

P.S.: My previous post about the AK-47 was in jest. However, I have been known to pack my Baretta (here and away from here--have a CHL).

Running Arrow Bill":34obkl45 said:
Don't have a problem with castration on a bull. Only a problem with how some people do it.

P.S.: My previous post about the AK-47 was in jest. However, I have been known to pack my Baretta (here and away from here--have a CHL).

Are you threatening me? :cboy:

Old Man":i77vxrqx said:
Got to tell stories from my area. 1 lady was cleaning free stall (holstein cattle). Bull was a bottle raised pet. Killed her. Reported she was having period and it provoked (?) bull. 2 Neighbor got ribs broke by 7 yr. friendly holstein bull. 3 Couple years ago, man sent 8 yr. old daughter to get the cows for milking. Holstein bull killed her. Had just got bull from a dealer. 4 I got a real good lesson on don't go into pasture without a big stick years ago by yearling angus bull--it hurt.

i have always heard that Holstien bulls were some of the meaniest of all breeds after they got some age on them . Local dairy man always said the same thing.

i have always heard that Holstien bulls were some of the meaniest of all breeds after they got some age on them . Local dairy man always said the same thing.

That's what I've heard as well. I work on a dairy where my boss keeps two Holstein bulls instead of dealing with AI; in general they last about 2 years past the purchase date (when they're about 18 months). After that they're usually too dangerous to keep around - sometimes they go well before they've been around that long.

I'm not sure but some of these ideas seem pretty crazy! I may not be an experienced cattle person, like many of you, and I like a gentle bull, but I think there's a line there that many have crossed. It sounds like that couple that raises buffalo. They bottle-raised a calf in the house and now full grown he still comes inside! Now, this might work for some and make some happy, but I don't think it should be passed off as the norm or the standard. Some beginners might get the idea that it easy to raise and keep a bull in your pocket--sounds like a "How to get Hurt" seminar.

By the way, sorry for the un-original name, cattle_gal. Is there any way to change my name in my profile????

Well Ive been reading thru some of this talk and finally decided to pitch in. Halter breaking all htose bulls aint such a big deal. i just wish the boss on this place could find a way to be satisfied with halter breaking and leave it at that. Leading a bull by a halter aint nothing. We have to train ours on voice commands. And I aint talking gee and haw neither. Now I don't work on as big an operation as the King ranch's Dakota spread but its plenty big for me. We break the bulls and cows in groups of four. Done it so much I can hear it in my sleep, the boss hollerin commands all day long. partner, corner, heads, sides, circle left, circle right, forward, back, dosado, swing swing, promenade, and on and on. Im about sick of it. The cows seem to like it OK but the bulls hate it. All but a couple, one is really good but he knows it and the other was a little light on his hooves to begin with. Yeah halter breakin bulls and cows,that aint nothing.

I just want to say that I am new in the cattle business. I have a Jersy milk cow that is basically my pet. I brush her before I milk her and she is as calm as the day is long. She has never given me any trouble and I have had her for over three years. She used to be a show cow so I think there is some truth to bolson's halter training advice. I just aquired an Angus/Brown Swiss baby bull who is even calmer than my milk cow. I want to use him to breed my cows to keep them fresh rather than go through the whole AI process. I'm gonna put the halter on him today and start training him in hopes of teaching him respect and manners. I realize that Ferdinand (my bull) will become large and I will always use my head when I am around him but I am not going to give up on the idea of having a bull around. AI for a woman can be difficult because some of those drugs you inject will make a girl have her period immediatly if even a drop gets on them and thats not good because I am trying to have babies myself. Maybe that is a "stupid" thought as some of you have expressed but I am going to side with those who belive that being aware and also being kind works for most animals, including people! Thanks for all your help!

Are we talking about some BOVINE SQUAREDANCING here?

Now, I am willing to say that there are a few practical uses for halter breaking cattle (presently none of mine are, and we get on just fine) so if it's so easy and so much fun then you could make a nice business of it if you price it reasonably--which shouldn't be high if it's as easy as you say.
I might even let you practice on some of mine.

But, for the reasonable folks reading--please exercise caution--don't go acting foolish just because you read something on the internet!

Craig-TX":23m5sm7w said:
Not a bull. Bulls. Hundreds of 'em. Or you might say a lot of bull.

Craig-TX

Enough BS about petting bulls and dancing bulls to start a fertlize business. We definitely know who are running cattle for a business.

Alan wrote:

Why pound on someone like "the posse" does just because you may not agree, why not let them prove it or bury themselves?

Alan

Might do you some good to listen to the posse they call it pretty straight.

Why are you starting up again Caustic? You call yourself a "true cattleman", I would call you a "true cook" because of the way your always stirring the pot. Why not let this die and we will probably disagree down the road another time.

Alan

After one monday from he-- yesterday I walked out to the barn and into the lot. I was kinda picking up some stuff and moving the feed bins around just unwinding more or less. I look up and about 20 yards from the fence here comes Champ(my friendly bull), and as he's walking up these last ten pages ran through my mind and how in my opinon, a good gesture on his part, has cuased such bitterness between a few members. I walked over to him and scratched his head over the fence and I believe I enjoyed it as much as he did. I dont believe that this makes me any more or less of a cattleman than anyone else. I appreciate the words of caution and I will exercise it as well as I respect each persons opinon.

Latest posts