Friendly bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Well Ive been reading thru some of this talk and finally decided to pitch in. Halter breaking all htose bulls aint such a big deal. i just wish the boss on this place could find a way to be satisfied with halter breaking and leave it at that. Leading a bull by a halter aint nothing. We have to train ours on voice commands. And I aint talking gee and haw neither. Now I don't work on as big an operation as the King ranch's Dakota spread but its plenty big for me. We break the bulls and cows in groups of four. Done it so much I can hear it in my sleep, the boss hollerin commands all day long. partner, corner, heads, sides, circle left, circle right, forward, back, dosado, swing swing, promenade, and on and on. Im about sick of it. The cows seem to like it OK but the bulls hate it. All but a couple, one is really good but he knows it and the other was a little light on his hooves to begin with. Yeah halter breakin bulls and cows,that aint nothing.

Shucks, that's nothing. Back when my brother and I were growing up on the farm, we started a workout program where we went out and hoisted all the bull calves on our shoulders everyday right from the time they were born. You know, just do a few squats with them. By the time they got to be a year old, they liked it so much they'd just come bounding across the pasture and jump right on your shoulders. Of course getting handled so much we never had to use a bull ring. We'd just stick two fingers up their nose and they'd follow you anywhere. If they ever gave me any flack I'd just bite them on the ear 'til they simmered down. Yeah, bulls are just like kittens, once you get to know them. :roll:

Cattle Rack Rancher":2ftbvmb3 said:
Well Ive been reading thru some of this talk and finally decided to pitch in. Halter breaking all htose bulls aint such a big deal. i just wish the boss on this place could find a way to be satisfied with halter breaking and leave it at that. Leading a bull by a halter aint nothing. We have to train ours on voice commands. And I aint talking gee and haw neither. Now I don't work on as big an operation as the King ranch's Dakota spread but its plenty big for me. We break the bulls and cows in groups of four. Done it so much I can hear it in my sleep, the boss hollerin commands all day long. partner, corner, heads, sides, circle left, circle right, forward, back, dosado, swing swing, promenade, and on and on. Im about sick of it. The cows seem to like it OK but the bulls hate it. All but a couple, one is really good but he knows it and the other was a little light on his hooves to begin with. Yeah halter breakin bulls and cows,that aint nothing.

Shucks, that's nothing. Back when my brother and I were growing up on the farm, we started a workout program where we went out and hoisted all the bull calves on our shoulders everyday right from the time they were born. You know, just do a few squats with them. By the time they got to be a year old, they liked it so much they'd just come bounding across the pasture and jump right on your shoulders. Of course getting handled so much we never had to use a bull ring. We'd just stick two fingers up their nose and they'd follow you anywhere. If they ever gave me any flack I'd just bite them on the ear 'til they simmered down. Yeah, bulls are just like kittens, once you get to know them. :roll:

Made you plenty stout too if you started when they were babies and did it every you never noticed the difference on thier gain. before you know it your able to lift a yearling and never think a thing about it

before you know it your able to lift a yearling and never think a thing about it

One of my grandfather's favorite sayings was that 'If you start with a new calf and lift it on your shoulders everyday, by the time he gets to be a thousand pounds, you'll be a strong man'
He also used to say that when he was young, he was so strong that he could put his left hand in his right back pocket and pick himself off the ground.

Alan":1o43xx4b said:
I have also been told by horse breeders this is danger time for women around the stallions.

I have seen some Stallions get excited around a Women in her cycle. My wife and I both agree she stays away from all Stallions of any age during that time. We own two Stallions and are around shows alot, I don't know why it would be defferent for Bulls.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts