Friendly bull

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":3foscpem said:
Ok.. one more thing and then I'm going to let this thread die a slow and painful death!

What are your opinions on the folks that have the bulls / steers at the fairs and livestock shows that take the pictures of your kids on him for $25? Do you think that is dangerous and stupid ?

Steers are less aggressive than bulls.

Most use drugs, ie: cattle calm, tranquilizer's, etc. to keep animal in a daze.

rgv4":p43jrh7m said:

I must be one in the minority then. I have NEVER used drugs to calm my calves at a show. Never had a need to. Hmmm, maybe I work with my calves enough. OR, maybe I just leave the ill tempered ones at home. NOW THERE IS A THOUGHT

certherfbeef":lxb2531j said:
rgv4":lxb2531j said:

I must be one in the minority then. I have NEVER used drugs to calm my calves at a show. Never had a need to. Hmmm, maybe I work with my calves enough. OR, maybe I just leave the ill tempered ones at home. NOW THERE IS A THOUGHT

Reread the post. I was answering the post that bull lady had posted, about the Longhorn's that at most major livestock shows people can get their pictures taken on them. Not the actual show cattle that are being shown during the cattle shows.

I see this is a hot topic again. Haven't been on for a week so that is where my post relates to, so haven't ready all of the posts but this is for Rod.

Lets decide where you think you are on a scale of respect/submission with your bull. If 1 on the scale would be a predictable dangerous "man eater" out to eat your lunch where you don't go within a 100 feet on the same side of the fence and 10 being a human that beats the heck
out of the cow/bull for no reason what so ever. And a 5 would be both sides respecting each other equally.

On the scale there would be those animals who are friendly when they want to be and boot you when they don't want anything to do with you. This would be between the 1 rating and 4 rating. This bull or what ever animal is categorized as unpredictable dangerous. He has no respect for
you. If we look at an animals within the herd mates, when a animal wants to be licked or scratched they will let another animal do so, but if they did not want another animal in their space after they got there licking they take the head and butt them or kick or in horses bite. The same applied to the cow in another post who booted the human over the fence. Ouch.

Factor 1 in temperament is bloodlines(breeds and with in breeds). Some are docile genetically and some are not. The one's that aren't will never be able to be turned into a docile even temp animal. Factor 2 psychologic management. If a cow is docile genetically they can be either temperament depending on how they are shaped by the human. How that cow/bull is raised. Factor 3 living environment. Where and how they live. And how much he see humans with the memory past interactions.

All to often I see with people new to horses that are touchy feely, gooshy love to death, but do not teach them respect. Thus they end up with an ill-mannered horse. Of course these horses get sold to the canner, because the owners can not handle them and the horse is now "dangerous"as they claim. It was not the horses fault for his temperament. The owner taught him to be this way. This is the same with cattle, but not a lot can fathom a cow being psychology trained like a
horse. Some people can't even use psychology with horses either. Just depends.

If a cow/bull shook it's head at me during/after I was petting it they would get a quick lesson in not to do such a thing again. It may hurt there ego for a few minutes but they learned a lessen not to do it again. And will come back later for the pet. If they don't like it they can walk away. Not me walking/running away. He/she now has a respect for me.

If your bull/cow just stands there and lets you do what ever petting, grooming and offers no negative feedback (not even questionable look from their eye) of any kind then you have the 5 on the scale. Anytime a animal tries to push or bluff you from where you are that is lack of respect
and them having the upper hand. When you can say sho or stomp your foot, or push them out of the way and the cow/bull backs away from you then that is a 5 also. And when you can saddle and ride the cow/bull you've got it made. I almost halter broke and saddle trained one of my
cows. She's a coming 5 year old now and to late for easy mind alteration. That would have been a fun project if I would have had time. She's one of those cows that is very smart. Personality plus. And she knows she's miss wonderful.

When we need to be more efficient for a number of various reasons(lack of help , to lack of $$ to pay for help, to not finding help that knows anything about cattle and others) then we tend to change our behavior on how we need to handle our cattle husbandry (and same goes with
farming/harvesting). It maybe called the modern rancher versus the old style, but there are modern reasons to change also. Would flying your own plane checking on the livestock be a modern technique. Not hardly. A lot of ranchers have been flying checking their livestock. My dad had first Piper Super Cub in the state in 1948. And a rancher non the less. Motorbikes. Been using them since the 60's. But didn't get a 4 wheeler until '98. Horses of course until it becomes less efficient. A cow going to market isn't the same as it used to be. Bruising (handling ways), dark meat(temperament based), injection sites are docked and you loose your clientele for the future thus not so rough handling is becoming common. And reputations built.

Of course as with any male (humans included) when they are in rut one should respect his space, he is on a biological mission(ok so not so much with humans on that). Also as they age they may start go get a meaner superior attitude. If one hasn't altered the thinking of the bull in the way
that humans have no interest in his lady love then he will treat you as if you were going to take his little lady from him. Male Elk, Deer, Moose have no problem with humans around them - as in driving past them or stopping to look at them, any other time except rut. In rut they are the
ones to watch out for Especially the Moose. But cow Moose are flat out dangerous. I hate them.

But I did get a chance to watch a little bit of Cowboy U on CMT while I was down and out. And just loved the cows they used for those city slicks.

I have also been told by horse breeders this is danger time for women around the stallions.

I have seen some Stallions get excited around a Women in her cycle. My wife and I both agree she stays away from all Stallions of any age during that time. We own two Stallions and are around shows alot, I don't know why it would be defferent for Bulls.

As far as "kids seeing this and trying it".. that's totally off the wall! That would be like a kid watching Fear Factor and jumping off a building. Hopefully kids and their parents would be smart enough to determine what's safe and what isn't.

Haven't any of those "stupidest things on vides" shows. where kids are doing belly flops off the roof onto cardboard or/and plywood because they saw it on pro wrestling? I don't think that our world is going to have a bunch of kids running out to sit on a bull because they saw your picture on this site. In fact I don't have a problem at all with you sitting on your Bull. I know much more about horses than I do about cattle and I seem to take a semi-regular beating from some of the GURU's on this sight but I'm here to learn.

Anyway I love and handle my horses everyday but I always know one thing is true, any horse any day can hurt you, it's the same with cattle.

Alan

Alan":1ogv728y said:
I have also been told by horse breeders this is danger time for women around the stallions.

I have seen some Stallions get excited around a Women in her cycle. My wife and I both agree she stays away from all Stallions of any age during that time. We own two Stallions and are around shows alot, I don't know why it would be defferent for Bulls.

It would obviously be an unpleasant experience for a 110 lb woman. Actually my imagination is having a difficult time with it. I'd be willing to bet it's happened more than we think, but just isn't reported. My better half stays on the horse, four wheeler, truck or top board of the cowpens when the bulls are getting worked, well cows too for that matter. Too valuable an employee to get hurt.

D.R. Cattle":30stirwq said:
My better half stays on the horse, four wheeler, truck or top board of the cowpens when the bulls are getting worked,

Too valuable an employee to get hurt.

Isn't that sweet ;-) Good to hear that D.R.

Guess I am just jealous. :oops: :oops:

certherfbeef":n7yrdwmq said:
Headlines from a local Central Texas newspaper"

Woman Killed while apparently trying to prove a point to strangers

Medics at the site of the incident say the bull she was being "friendly" with rolled over on top of her and fell asleep. Local firemen could not waken the 2200lb animal to rescue the victim.

I know I'm a little late here, but...where's the "berries" on that bull?

eileenkneeling.jpg

Six pages of trying to convince two people to be safe. I'm starting to agee with an old post that you should have to pass a test to own cattle. Sometimes you just can't get the mules attention.

You can lead a horse to water…

Knowledge is learning from your mistakes, wisdom is learning from other people's mistakes...

Each to his own. Rubbing and handling and getting cozy with a bull will impress lots of people. It won't impress a single cowman.

Craig-TX

I guess I'm a pet owner.. I can put some of my steers in a headlock(I grab their head w/ my arms, hold them, and even force open an eyelid to treat for pinkeye. These are 1 year old Holstein Steers I'm guessing are around 1000-1200lbs. I do have one 6 month old bull.. he's grown faster and tries to be more dominent.. even w/ the older, bigger steers.

That being said.. I def. respect the experience of those that live this life.. and will be even more respectful & careful around them.

I believe this respect to be parrallel w/ tractor's & equipment.. when you're working w/ it.. knowing that it can kill you in an instant.. if you make a mistake.. or don't pay attention.. will save your life.

I believe bringing this to people's attention.. especially beginners.. will help save some from injury or worse. It's not that big animals can't be tamed or trained.. it's the one act of dis-obediance that will kill you. The experienced are saying.. why take that risk.. if your not in the circus business. I guess my goal was to have a "calmer" herd.. that could be handled easier.. I def. won't forget the "respect" they deserve. Thanks guys!!

I have a Angus Bull that Has never given me any trouble....But that don't mean I'm goina go up and put my arms around him and give hima big hug...I respect him and he better respect me as well... Maybe I'm just a coward LOL :lol:

We raise a pretty fair amount of cattle here on our ranch and there isn't a bull that steps foot onto our place without being halter broke. Just for the simple fact that my kids show cattle and handle our cattle on a daily basis. We raise Simmental and Charolais, And Herefords. And we have'nt had a problem with our bulls changing there attitude yet. And if they do then they head down the road. We run anywhere from 3,0000-5,000 head of Registered cattle at any given time and about 6-700 head of those bulls are all 1-2 yr old bulls that our kids halter break and show and then the bulls go on later to the bull tests and then into our feed pens for weight gain tests. Fact of the matter is owning bulls is a risk we all take so why not enjoy it it and if something does happen then oh well life goes on. I've been trampled and gored and it aint that bad I have kids everyday that can walk into a pen with 90-1000 2 yr old bulls and pet each and every one of them. And you know what there attitude about it is If I get hurt oh well [/b]

bolsen":1pz4luuq said:
We raise a pretty fair amount of cattle here on our ranch and there isn't a bull that steps foot onto our place without being halter broke. Just for the simple fact that my kids show cattle and handle our cattle on a daily basis. We raise Simmental and Charolais, And Herefords. And we have'nt had a problem with our bulls changing there attitude yet. And if they do then they head down the road. We run anywhere from 3,0000-5,000 head of Registered cattle at any given time and about 6-700 head of those bulls are all 1-2 yr old bulls that our kids halter break and show and then the bulls go on later to the bull tests and then into our feed pens for weight gain tests. Fact of the matter is owning bulls is a risk we all take so why not enjoy it it and if something does happen then oh well life goes on. I've been trampled and gored and it aint that bad I have kids everyday that can walk into a pen with 90-1000 2 yr old bulls and pet each and every one of them. And you know what there attitude about it is If I get hurt oh well [/b]

700 Bulls halter broke and gentle as a housecat I gotta throw the Bull
Sh!t flag on this one. You might be a big outfit but your not talkin to a bunch of city slickers here.

Well when you have as much time as we do on our ranch then you find time to do anything it aint that hard to halter break 700 head takes 5 minutes of work a day of maybe you wouldn't know that cause you aint never tried it. So why don't you look into stuff before you start accusing people and throwing the "BULL BE NICE FLAG" . 700 head takes 5 weeks to halter break them all when you have your local 4-h and ffa chapters come out and do it for ya so go ahead throw the BS flag no one cares here.

bolsen":rcs805ww said:

That was a real belly rolling hoot.

Craig-TX

bolsen":r7lveh75 said:
Well when you have as much time as we do on our ranch then you find time to do anything it aint that hard to halter break 700 head takes 5 minutes of work a day of maybe you wouldn't know that cause you aint never tried it. So why don't you look into stuff before you start accusing people and throwing the "BULL BE NICE FLAG" . 700 head takes 5 weeks to halter break them all when you have your local 4-h and ffa chapters come out and do it for ya so go ahead throw the BS flag no one cares here.

So you have 700 FFA, 4H kids working 5 mins a day on these bulls or 350 Kids working on 2 bulls for ten minutes a day. Must be a heck of a parking lot for all that traffic.

bolsen":2iazv3uc said:

are you married to showmom?

Latest posts